Sustainability.

2»

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121sportcas, try not to get turned off by trendy, esoteric, superficial, or self infatuated people. they can be to residential energy independence what "lifestyles of the rich and famous" homes were for materialism. its like wal mart making a big deal about cfo light bulbs... b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I hear you, it's gonna take a village... I was just ranting on thee strut. The Walmart "we saved x amount of money by switching" line is very striking, and it will basically boil down to that, companies being greener to be savvy. But that timeline to sustainability is barely related to real world problems and more in step with the lifestyle of the average American consumer. So we are still fucked.b,121b,121/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121i think rehabbing homes is a crucial step toward reducing peoples bills, energy dependency.b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121Not only that, it's really hard to think of cases where a new construction is a better built environment than an old building, even before you re-hab that old building. But because there is more money to be made, new construction is pushed even while there are Victorian mansions sitting derelict up the block. Fedders A/C units are now associated with a style of cinder block throwaway architecture that has fucked up many a street. They throw up these designs so quickly because once the local residents realize what's coming, they often try to have the zoning laws changed to preserve their old hood. But I don't see many educated, affluent renters or buyers making the distinction. In 20 years they'll be the new avocado bathroom or crazy-paved wet bar in the den. But at least those sins can be hidden!

• dope.b,121i was at my friends house last night...cob additions, outdoor cob ovens, chicken coop, community garden, lots of salvaged materials, solar hot water heater...turning into a pretty beautiful place. they just got the lot next door to their place and had a community visioning session...friends and neighbors came out to give suggstions in an informal event. kids running around everywhere. rather idyllic