Very interesting

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
a href="http://edge.org/3rd_culture/haidt08/haidt08_index.html" target="_blank"1WHY PEOPLE VOTE REPUBLICAN/a1 b,121b,121this is a article written by JONATHAN HAIDT Associate Professor of Psychology at the University of Virginia, where he does research on morality and emotion and how they vary across cultures.

Comments

• hehe, i had him for intro to psych. one of my roommates was in the class with me hated the guy because haidt is that ultra liberal and "is all messed up in the head, i mean look at his gay sister". b,121b,121that said, he is a really good lecturer and obviously passionate about teaching. maybe takes it a bit far with his own personal views, but rides a nice bike.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Great article...I believe he pretty much nails it.

• Options
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Great article...I believe he pretty much nails it. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21 b,121b,121He makes a very persuasive argument.b,121b,121I would love to read critiques to this paper, but only if they are written as good as this one. Thanks for sharing this! This kind of shit is right up my alley.

• there are some responses to the article, if you follow the link at the bottom of it.

• Options
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121there are some responses to the article, if you follow the link at the bottom of it. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Primo! Thanks for the headz up!

• Jebus this is a ton of reading, but it really is some great stuff that transcends the usual cliches of social and political thought.b,121b,121It does make me a little sad though, because I come from a very liberal background and see organized religion and centralized authority as almost invariably exploitive. It's sad to think that we as humans are bound to these institutions because of our desires for belonging, order, and sanctity. I wish there we could find more non-exploitive means to fufill these needs.

• Options
    I think it's a binary where we desire a sense of belonging, AND a manipulation of power by many religions, and certainly heads of state, that fosters an environment of exploitation.b,121b,121If feeling safe and secure means putting up with some bullshit from someone (or some group) who shows some promise of delivering, most people will accept the bullshit. b,121b,121More than that though, our language and the way we communicate involves a constant obfuscation of truth.b,121Deception (consciously and subconsciously) is a part of our everyday interactions, and is also subjective based on audience, culture, historical perspective, etc. Exploitation is an outcome of those deceptions.b,121b,121Some of them want to use you.b,121Some of them want to be used by you.b,121Some of them want to abuse you.b,121Some of them want to be abused.b,121b,121As long as we desire belonging, order and sanctity, we will always be exploited. Just my $0.02b,121b,121Clon away.b,121b,121Peace.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/badassbuddy_com-slowburner.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I think it's a binary where we desire a sense of belonging, AND a manipulation of power by many religions, and certainly heads of state, that fosters an environment of exploitation.b,121b,121If feeling safe and secure means putting up with some bullshit from someone (or some group) who shows some promise of delivering, most people will accept the bullshit. b,121b,121More than that though, our language and the way we communicate involves a constant obfuscation of truth.b,121Deception (consciously and subconsciously) is a part of our everyday interactions, and is also subjective based on audience, culture, historical perspective, etc. Exploitation is an outcome of those deceptions.b,121b,121Some of them want to use you.b,121Some of them want to be used by you.b,121Some of them want to abuse you.b,121Some of them want to be abused.b,121b,121As long as we desire belonging, order and sanctity, we will always be exploited. Just my $0.02b,121b,121Clon away.b,121b,121Peace. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121So then where do you go? Do you have hope for the future? Do you think we be striving to free ourselves of needing belonging, order and sanctity? Should we indulge our needs and get exploited? Are we basically fusked because we're human?

• Options
    On matters relating to exploitation, we are basically fusked because we're human.b,121b,121In all relations, there is power. Where there is power, there is the opportunity and inevitability of exploitation. It's part of the human condition.b,121b,121It's not all bad though. We also have an incredible capacity to give. For exmaple, there are all kinds of people building schools and hospitals on foreign soil for the benefit of people they have never met. b,121b,121As everyone already knows, we are inherently good AND evil under the right conditions. It's just a matter of WHO sets those conditions, and for what purpose.