Ike took out my man's zip disks

chenobrownchenobrown 31 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
What's left of Ike ran thru St. Louis this morning and dumped a gang of water causing the basement in my homies house to flood. Long story short his entire catalog of beats, made over 10+ years and stored on zip disks, were underwater. b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21b,121 b,121b,121Anyone got any idea on how he should go about recovering the data? Anyone ever had this happen to them before and got some tips. b,121b,121I feel sick for my man...were talking thousands of hours of work. b,121b,121any help would be apprecaited.

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    The disks are magnetic so it is likely they will be fine after they have dried out. However, there may be some corrosion so copies should be made asap once dry.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    there are many companies that can do data recovery, but it is not cheap... he will want to contact one right away if he is going to do it, time is of the essence

• they should be fine. just make sure they are dried properly. you can even take the disk out and put it in a new housing if need be. b,121peace, stein. . . img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21

• ummm... b,121b,121you can do a search on my issues with Zip disks, I have publicly posted it here. b,121b,121In my experience, and this is coming from a person who lost 12 years of beats (94-06) on Zip disks for far less than that, I would consider everything lost and anything that can be recovered should be treated as a bonus. Zips have lost data with far less physical trauma to them.b,121b,121At the minimum, I would pick one disk to be recovered, let it dry and then slide back the metal protector to check the disk. Have a magnifying glass handy if possible. Examine the edge of the disk for any inconsistencies, in this instance i would look for warping. Keeping the metal protector slid back, turn the spindle with one hand and look for problems on the disk - here's why: When you insert the zip disk into the drive, it will pull that back and rev that disk up to spin at a really high 10's of thousands of RPM, and the drive will slide a 2 sided head out across the disk to sandwich it and read the data. If the disk spins at all uneven, or the head chunks into the disk, it will create fragments and could rip the heads right out the drive, destroying both the disk and drive. Such disks (any ones with any sort of inconsistencies, chippy edges, warping, etc.) become killer disks and will destroy any drive that they are inserted in. Broken drives make more killer disks, and this is the vicious cycle of Zips. b,121b,121This is a rough synopsis but you get the picture. There are tons of websites with this information, as well as the settled class action against iomega because of all the things that people have lost. I lost every beat i ever made during that time, released and unreleased. I am over it but it is painfull and i hate to hear about other people who may have to experience this.b,121b,121pm me or have your boy pm me and i can get in contact with him via phone ot sort out possible alternative solutions. In the meantime, DO NOT INSERT ANY OFF THE DISKS IN ANY DRIVES.b,121b,121and for the record, if you put a zip in the drive and your hear clicking - GET THE DISK OUT OF THE DRIVE.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121and for the record, if you put a zip in the drive and your hear clicking - GET THE DISK OUT OF THE DRIVE. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121seriously? Fusk.......... img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21 time to get rid of some zips

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121lost 12 years of beats (94-06) on Zip disksb,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121and for the record, if you put a zip in the drive and your hear clicking - GET THE DISK OUT OF THE DRIVE. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121seriously? Fusk.......... img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21 time to get rid of some zips b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I repeat:b,121b,121/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121if you put a zip in the drive and your hear clicking - GET THE DISK OUT OF THE DRIVE. /b1b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121And don't put a disk you care about back in it. Grab a blank one and see if your drive even works. Then do whatever it takes to install a card reader in your shit.

• Options
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121What's left of Ike ran thru St. Louis this morning and dumped a gang of water causing the basement in my homies house to flood. Long story short his entire catalog of beats, made over 10+ years and stored on zip disks, were underwater. b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/WHYMUSTICRY.gif" alt="" 21b,121 b,121b,121Anyone got any idea on how he should go about recovering the data? Anyone ever had this happen to them before and got some tips. b,121b,121I feel sick for my man...were talking thousands of hours of work. b,121b,121any help would be apprecaited. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That's absolutely brutal. Sorry about your friend's lost work. Best of luck retrieving the data.