Fusk credit card companies (BOA specifically)

ladydayladyday 623 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
Forgive me for engaging in the Soul Strut tradition of bitching about NRR real-life stuff but I am STEAMED. If any of you have a Bank of America credit card, pay real close attention to your due date because these fuckers are looking for a reason to screw you.b,121b,121I've had this credit card for 10 years, have paid late by a day or two maybe twice in that whole time. I paid my last card bill online at 6 AM, [i]the morning of the actual due date./i1 I just got my latest statement in the mail and there's a late fee. I call thinking there's a bank error, and am told that "in future I need to make my payment a few days in advance" to make sure it hits the bank on time. Isn't the point of paying online so that the payment hits right away? I basically ended up getting into an argument with a supervisor about how they can get away with charging someone a late payment [i]for paying ON THE DUE DATE/i1. b,121b,121Finally I ask her to transfer me to the account closing department and she right away says, "This account has been closed." I slam the phone down, and then call back. I asked the person this time if they could remove the late fee as a courtesy to a 10-year cardholder in good standing, and she says, "Sure thing, let me take a look!" A minute later, she comes back with, "Um, I'm looking at the comments on your account here, and I can't help you today." I'm like, "What do you mean, today?" She said, "I can't give you your late charge back, sorry." Like I've been flagged or something.b,121b,121Am I in the Twilight Zone? How the Fusk do banks get away with this? Is there some agency I can take this up with?b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wtf.gif" alt="" 21

Comments

• I quit those pigs a long time ago. Fusk B of A. Sorry about your misfortune.b,121b,121May I recommend a href="https://www.wescom.org/" target="_blank"1Wescom Credit Union? They are top notch and they open on Sunday.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I'm pretty fed up too. They sent me a new credit card (second account), and then activated it. So without any choice on my end, they signed me up for a whole new credit card. When I went to cancel it, they did that, but they signed me up for fraud protection without asking me. Fraud protection is not a free service. Two months ago, they just stopped my auto-payment. It took me a bit to figure out why I was getting monthly finance charges. I usually pay in full every month. One time they never sent me a current card when mine expired. When I called to bitch about it, they sent me new card that Valid from 5/29/07 to 5/30/07. One day.b,121b,121It's good for credit to have one long standing credit card, so I still keep it around, but don't use it much anymore.

• get an amex folls

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    call back and talk to another csr, until you get one that will truly help you...cc companies make $$$$ off those unwilling to fight them....just say you are a customer in good standing, works every time....

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121get an amex folls b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121FUSK Amex.b,121b,121Amex gets the middle.b,121b,121What middle?b,121b,121The img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/f-u.gif" alt="" 21

• how much is the late fee?

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    /font1
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Amex is the worst piece of shit credit card company in the world. b,121The company I work for pays us our commissions on there and it's no good in most stores. They charge way too much for most businesses to even bother. Not to mention they're f*ing lame. I can only spend my cash in Canada & US which is one of the lamest things ever. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hi.gif" alt="" 21

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I only do WAMU now. Its not a credit card I guess, but still, I quit BOA a loooong time ago for this exact reason.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I only do WAMU now. Its not a credit card I guess, but still, I quit BOA a loooong time ago for this exact reason. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Wamu is the best bank I've been with.b,121b,121Citibank is the best credit card (8.99% interest).b,121b,121I can't say that I've ever had any problems with credit cards that weren't my fault but claiming that online payments aren't posted the same day is major weak sauce.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Is there some agency I can take this up with?b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1 b,121b,121After you consider all of the things you might try to screw them, you'll see that it won't be worth pursuing...I doubt there are any state agencies that will be worth your time and efforts.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121I only do WAMU now. Its not a credit card I guess, but still, I quit BOA a loooong time ago for this exact reason. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Wamu is the best bank I've been with.b,121b,121Citibank is the best credit card (8.99% interest).b,121b,121I can't say that I've ever had any problems with credit cards that weren't my fault but claiming that online payments aren't posted the same day is major weak sauce. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121i dont know if folks know this but if you are a customer in good standing you can call your credit company up every 6 months and ask them to lower your interest rate regardless if you hold a balance or not. i live debt free but do this fairly consistently and rock a 8.99% on my citibank card and 9.99% on a chase card.b,121b,121as for online payments, you'll get charged a late fee if you don't post that payment before the deadline which is usually in Eastern STandard Time.b,121b,121all credit card companies are pretty shady, everyone has their 2cents on them the way all cell phone companies are too.

• If you're using the "bill pay" function, you should definitely note the "will deliver by" date, which is usually a day or two after you enter in any payment. It will estimate the delivery date even before you hit enter. If it's too close to the actual due date, you have the option to call in and pay over the phone (for a fee). b,121b,121Online pay is deceiving; you'd think it's instantaneous, but actually it's a lot more like mailing a check to them than anything else. You'd definitely mail a check a few days before the deadline, right? You'll want to treat online pay the exact same way. b,121b,121Good luck.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121If you're using the "bill pay" function, you should definitely note the "will deliver by" date, which is usually a day or two after you enter in any payment. It will estimate the delivery date even before you hit enter. If it's too close to the actual due date, you have the option to call in and pay over the phone (for a fee). b,121b,121Online pay is deceiving; you'd think it's instantaneous, but actually it's a lot more like mailing a check to them than anything else. You'd definitely mail a check a few days before the deadline, right? You'll want to treat online pay the exact same way. b,121b,121Good luck. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Get in the habit of recording your confirmation numbers too. Not because they're likely to lose your payment but if you're like me and have a few credit cards you sometimes forget that you have two or three buttons you have to push before your payment is posted. Getting that confirmation number gives you piece of mind knowing the payment got through. Record your payments to a spreadsheet and feel safe. I use Google Docs to record all my stuff so no matter where I am I can access it.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Fusk a bank and find a credit union. Banks are in the business of making money off of you; credit unions are not-for-profit. Seems like an easy choice to me..

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    None of us should be willing to Fusk with companies so eager to augment ungodly interest charges with extra fees. Of course we get suckered in at times of weakness. It's a predatory industry and its handlers are all well on their way to an eternity of HELL, believe that.

• the worst are all the credit cards they try to rope you into on the college campusees. shit we had like 2 or 3 applications in or little "welcome package" in the dorms. always with their little tables set up on the quad trying to suck in college kids who they knew were broke.

• CapitalOne is the largest predatory credit card company I know of but they pale in comparison to some of those shitty offers I get in the mail once in a while from rinky-dink card companies.b,121b,121Annual fee, membership fee, usage fee, etc. Your $300 limit card is eaten up with $300 worth of fees.b,121b, 21Also watch for the bait-and-switch. I got taken by First Equity Card when I applied for a no-fee card but was "approved" for a fee based card. They delivered it to me without any word that the card I received was not the one I applied for. To their credit they did waive the first years annual fee and they honored the zero-interest transfer rate but when I caught up with my debts their card was the first I canceled.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121CapitalOne is the largest preparatory credit card company b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1 b,121b,121YES.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121call back and talk to another csr, until you get one that will truly help you...cc companies make $$$$ off those unwilling to fight them....just say you are a customer in good standing, works every time.... b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Thanks, that's exactly what I did. I let myself cool off for a day then called back and asked the CS rep nicely to reopen the account and take off the fee, which she did no problem. But I'm cutting up the card. No way I'm going to fall victim to their crazy late fee schemes again. I saw reports online of other people getting charged for payments made on the due date. I still can't believe they can get away with that.b,121b,121Never thought about the credit union option.

• /font1
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I have one with cash back, I only used this one for when people don't take Amex.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121If you're using the "bill pay" function, you should definitely note the "will deliver by" date, which is usually a day or two after you enter in any payment. It will estimate the delivery date even before you hit enter. If it's too close to the actual due date, you have the option to call in and pay over the phone (for a fee). b,121b,121Online pay is deceiving; you'd think it's instantaneous, but actually it's a lot more like mailing a check to them than anything else. You'd definitely mail a check a few days before the deadline, right? You'll want to treat online pay the exact same way. b,121b,121Good luck. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Thanks. Just out of curiosity, I went to the payment page to see what it says exactly. For a payment entered today, it says today's date, with an asterisk*, and then below:b,121b,121*This payment date has been adjusted to fall on the earliest possible business day. b,121b,121Notice it says earliest[/b] possible day, not the exact day or latest day. Completely unhelpful to the point of being deceptive.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121get an amex black[/b] follsb,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1

• man...I don't even want to go there...suffice to say..if they had the lawsuit around the time they suddenly changed my apr...I would have caked out on the scandalous shit they did to me back in the day....luckily...I'm killing it off now by selling some of my records (need some?)...plus free rent...holla

• Wachovia for me, BOA I quit them back in 2000 and they still send me advertisment shit in the mail every other week. BOA always had the highest bank fees for so many things. I just couldn't deal any longer so just said NO MORE.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121I only do WAMU now. Its not a credit card I guess, but still, I quit BOA a loooong time ago for this exact reason. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Wamu is the best bank I've been with.b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Wamu is alright. b,121b,121BOA is the worst I've ever had. b,121b,121When my wife & I first moved, we needed to get bank accounts asap, so we decided on BOA. Bad move. Among other idiocy, we found that we could not each have a bank account with a credit card AND a "group" credit card that both of us have access to. Apparently they have a one-card-per-account policy. It just seemed too dumb to be true (what, are they afraid we'll use their bank TOO MUCH?) but after phone calls and asking at several branches, it turned out to be true. b,121b,121The WAMU rep thought that was all hilarious, and gave us all the cards and the group checking account we needed.