DC: What's good for locals?

tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
So last month I got laid off and followed my girl out to DC (she had just gotten a job out here). Rolling into town with the moving truck was the first time I'd ever been within a hundred miles of the place, and I'm looking for recommendations. Food, bars, record spots, helpful hints, anything really. b,121b,121I'm living up in Columbia Heights, and in between looking for work, I've been walking around the city trying to get the hang of the baffling streets here, doing the tourist stuff, and trying not to go broke (can't believe the cost of housing here).b,121b,121So what's cool here, what's to be avoided, and do you have any job leads?

Comments

• Cool, your shop's like a 15 minute walk from my door. I'll be in the next time I feel like I have money to burn. b,121b,121As for jobs, I was working at a tech company in Chicago the past few years doing a variety of things related to ecommerce, banner ads, and other things that are even less exciting. I figure I'm ready for a change, so I'm pretty wide open at this point. I'm trying to avoid the business atmosphere this time around, so I'm been scanning the federal listings. Seems like there are a lot of options, so I'm not too worried this point. Plus I've got Illinois sending me unemployment which helps. b,121b,121And I'm adding those blogs to my Google Reader as we speak.

• what street are you living on in columbia? you're set cause of that new giant that's there now.b,121b,121go to my joint Pepito's on Columbia rd in Adams Morgan. they have the city's best horchata, but you don't need the post to tell you that.b,121b,121yeah don't read dcist unless you want to hear about DC from a northern virginian's point of view.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121b,121b,121yeah don't read dcist unless you want to hear about DC from a northern virginian's point of view. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Seriously.b,121b,121Check the announcements section for a lot of free DJ nights that are decidely Strut-centric, especially Nitecrawler's Moneytown the first Friday of every month, Marvin at 14th and U every weekend (including early soul jazz shift every Friday 6-10pm by me and DCDigga, also 7-10 every Wed at St Ex) and Neville's Brazillian night every 3rd Thursday of every month at St Ex (packed house and great music-related).b,121b,121Cost of living is the worst part of transitioning to DC....I had never set foot here before I accepted a job in Georgetown 10 years ago. Now I work downtown and live in NE. It's home now, but it took me a while to adjust.

• I'm on 13th like a block from the Giant. It's incredibly convenient. b,121b,121Does Pepito's have decent burritos? I've heard bad things about Mexican in DC, which makes me nervous. I'm used to having half-a-dozen killer places within walking distance.

• Quote:h,121b,121I'm on 13th like a block from the Giant. It's incredibly convenient. b,121b,121Does Pepito's have decent burritos? I've heard bad things about Mexican in DC, which makes me nervous. I'm used to having half-a-dozen killer places within walking distance. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121DC's got some good food but Mexican ain't it. The best cheap food in DC is unfortunately out in the burbs. Its about the only reason (besides records) that I go to Virginia for.

• Quote:h,121b,121Does Pepito's have great[/b] burritos?b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121b,121YES! it's a bakery too... you go now.b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121The best cheap food in DC is unfortunately out in the burbs.b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121speaks the truth. heed the words, WHEATON, ANNANDALE, SILVER SPRING, SHIRLINGTON, STRIKE>MANASSAS/STRIKE>

• ok, so taquerias are iffy here. Are there any decent diners around?b,121b,121And what's Ethiopian food like? I see those places all the time.

• tastee diner in silver spring. thass a good jawn.b,121b,121Ethiopian food is dope, but i eat the non-meat plates so i can't tell you about anything else. b,121b,121another favorite of mine and the ma dukes is Amsterdam Falafel on 18th in Adams Morgan. definitely go there.

• Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121Does Pepito's have great[/b] burritos?b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121b,121YES! it's a bakery too... you go now.b,121b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121It is actually called "Super Taco" now or something. I saw the sign last week.b,121b,121Just as good (with a better atmosphere and horchata, imo) is Taqueria Distrito Federal (www.taqueriadf.com). Two locations -- one in Columbia Heights, one in Petworth.

• I went to the D.F. in Columbia Heights a couple days ago, and I can't believe that's what passes for a burrito around here. I guess it's true what they say about Mexican out here. Luckily New York is only a $15 bus ride away.b,121b,121Also, I ran into this guy at around 14th and Park NW. Anyone know who it is? Does he play around anywhere? I was impressed by his taste, chops, and his killer look:b,121b,121

• salvadorian not mexicanb,121b,121for dc & burbs

• is that west indian bakery/roti spot still on florida ave ?

• i went to cabin john & potomac last monday,b,121do not look for cheap in those burbsb,121(or mclean)b,121b,121cheap left that part of town 8 years ago

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121I'm on 13th like a block from the Giant. It's incredibly convenient. b,121b,121Does Pepito's have decent burritos? I've heard bad things about Mexican in DC, which makes me nervous. I'm used to having half-a-dozen killer places within walking distance. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121DC's got some good food but Mexican ain't it. The best cheap food in DC is unfortunately out in the burbs. Its about the only reason (besides records) that I go to Virginia for. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121La Lomita at the Potomac Metro station, 13th and Pennsylvania SE(just across from a new Harris Teeter)on Capitol Hill is REALLY good. Not cheap, but not expensive. Best salsa in town, IMO. Stay at this one, there are 2 others (La Lomita 2 and La Loma), but they aren't as good.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121is that west indian bakery/roti spot still on florida ave ? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I don't think so....only decent Roti I know of is Teddy's on Georgia near Walter Reed. Great roti, they offer w/bones or w/o, which makes my wife happy (she doesn't think it's real Roti if there are no bones). b,121b,121Sweet Mango burned down a while ago, but I heard they might open back up....that place had awesome curry goat.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121is that west indian bakery/roti spot still on florida ave ? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I don't think so....only decent Roti I know of is Teddy's on Georgia near Walter Reed. Great roti, they offer w/bones or w/o, which makes my wife happy (she doesn't think it's real Roti if there are no bones). b,121b,121Sweet Mango burned down a while ago, but I heard they might open back up....that place had awesome curry goat. b,121b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121 a href="http://www.yelp.com/biz/tropicana-carryout-washington-2" target="_blank"1this ja spot b,121b,121good & cheapb,121b,121in DC do you have food trucks like they have in parking lots all over NOVAb,121(better mexican food related)

• Negril is another spot with great roti, jerk chicken and the best carrot cake in town. Their fruit punch is to die for. There's one on Georgia Avenue by the Howard University Bookstore and another in Silver Spring across the street from Road House Oldies. Irie.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121in DC do you have food trucks like they have in parking lots all over NOVAb,121(better mexican food related) b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121There's this one truck/cart that parks on 14th street in Columbia Heights (where I live), it's usually somewhere between the firestation and the gas station (but on the other side of the street) when it's there. They have this chicken burrito they call the burrito gringo that just kills it. Any of you guys know where this mobile cart goes when not on 14th street? (it's some sort of vehicle but I'm calling it a cart)b,121b,121DC is all about El salvadorian and Ethiopian as a few have mentioned above. Mexican is a lost style here. It's a bit of a hike from downtown, but NOVA has a decent mexican spot called: Taqueria Poblano a href="http://www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-poblano-arlington" target="_blank"1http://www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-poblano-arlington/a1b,121b,121I'm originally from Arlington so I know tons of food-related joints in that direction. If you're headed that way, feel free to run stuff by me.b,121b,121Not related to mexican, but this new burger spot is INSANELY good. You can see them grind the steak into burgers as you order:b,121a href="http://www.yelp.com/biz/rays-hell-burger-arlington-2" target="_blank"1http://www.yelp.com/biz/rays-hell-burger-arlington-2/a1

• ohh hey... this reminds me, we got a new rep in the office who's from Shirlington, first question asked out of my mouth was "do you like Weenie Beenie?"b,121b,121b,121you should go there too when you make a trip out into Arlington. also on the Arlington-tip, my friend's dad owns Pines of Naples on Columbia Pike if you like good Italian food, made by Pakistani's.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121ohh hey... this reminds me, we got a new rep in the office who's from Shirlington, first question asked out of my mouth was [i]"do you like Weenie Beenie?"/i1b,121b,121b,121you should go there too when you make a trip out into Arlington. also on the Arlington-tip, my friend's dad owns Pines1of Naples on Columbia Pike if you like good Italian food, made by Pakistani's. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Oh yeah! Weenie Beenie1is a staple. For all DC peoples that love their Ben's Chilli Bowl, this is for you too.