crystal castles

the_spacethe_space 74 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
i don't get the deeper meaning... if there is one...b,121b,121

Comments

• A friend of mine is really into them right now...I don't think they have a deep meaning or anything...they're just the cool new group to like because not everyone knows who they are.

• shitty group

• what about the fusked up video?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    I thought it was going to be about this:b,121b,121 b,121b,121Going off screen and jumping... img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headz.gif" alt="" 21

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121I thought it was going to be about this:b,121b,121 b,121b,121Going off screen and jumping... img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headz.gif" alt="" 21 b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121b,121Me too. What the fusk?b,121b,121b,121By the way, when is Crystal Day? May?

• Watch the video again dude, it is staged. The guy is faking that the brick is heavy/real, the guy laying on the ground lifts his head up off the ground to give it greater impact. A real brick like that with the pointed side to the temple would do much more harm.

• Quote:h,121b,121A friend of mine is really into them right now...I don't think they have a deep meaning or anything...they're just the cool new group to like because not everyone knows who they are. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121if by 'everyone' you mean 'not hipsters' then yes, you are correct

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    c'mon guys, even i heard about these dudes a while ago, and i am not that hip. b,121b,121b,121they have a couple tracks i like. Not much for the screaming chick though.

• They're famous because Timbaland ripped them off img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21

• No their famous because of "crystal castles vs health - Crimewave"b,121b,121which is kind of annoying... but in reality... is something different compared to the rest of the cookie cutter club shit...

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i think the video game is better than that song and video. suck ass music.

• i checked out the album but was boredb,121same goes for midnight juggernauts, who use the "rhyming list = lyrics" formula

• chasechase 767 Posts
    just saw them do a live set on tv at that big Glastonbury fest...b,121b,121a drummer, a dude making video game noises, and a chick screaming... b,121b,121it had its moments but mostly img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ehhzu7.gif" alt="" 21

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Not really a fan. Tho, I'm glad a Toronto band gets shine.

But this version does do a good balance IMO of bridging 80's new wave and the music of today. I'm feelin' it.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Robert Smith is Robert Smith. The bed he's lying in is redundant at best.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    DOR said:

But this version does do a good balance IMO of bridging 80's new wave and the music of today. I'm feelin' it.

Yeah, this is getting quite a bit of radio over here right now. It's OK. I was given their first album, and I thought that was OK too, but I have to admit it didn't make all that much of an impression. Go to certain parts of London, though, and every second girl looks like Alice Glass, so they're making an impression with someone.

Quite a few bands seem to be on their 80s UK indie/shoegaze throwback shit right now, copping licks from Lush, the Cocteaus, JAMC or US bands like Mazzy Star or Madder Rose. I was talking to a couple of friends about this the other day, specifically that band Warpaint, who one of my friends called "the hipster Wilson Phillips", and who are also getting on the radio quite a bit. My friend who came with the Wilson Phillips dis commented on how weird it was that there are all these good-looking Americans like Warpaint, School Of Seven Bells or Asobi Seksu, who are all trying to act like awkward adolescents from Reading c. 1988. Personally, all that shit might as well have been happening in another galaxy for all the impact it had on me at the time, so if a bunch of rich kids from Silverlake or Billyburg want to retool it for the Pitchfuck generation, I'm not gonna be mad at 'em. I like School Of Seven Bells, though - this has been one of the better singles of its kind this year. The little bite from Drop It Like It's Hot is a nice touch;

This is good, too. Band is from Barcelona, and this reminds me a little of One Dove, a Scottish indie/dance outfit from the 90s.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    DOR said:

Yeah, this is getting quite a bit of radio over here right now. It's OK. I was given their first album, and I thought that was OK too, but I have to admit it didn't make all that much of an impression. Go to certain parts of London, though, and every second girl looks like Alice Glass, so they're making an impression with someone.

I listened to the version of this track on the album they released a few months back and thought that was just ok. But this remix just kinda hit with me. Maybe it's just due to the fact it's a Toronto band covering a track by a famous Canadian new wave/rock glam band from the 80's mixed with Smith's vocals. While, not something I may have ever liked in the 80's, I enjoy it now.

It's tough tho... I first heard this version because I'm surrounded by University students all day and at first I thought it was something from the 80's I had never heard before. The girl that was playing it was all hyper letting me know it was crystal castles and that they kick ass lol