You can't take them all with you...

BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
So what will happen to your records when you depart this earth?Not that my time is up anytime soon.. (that I know of).. But just wondering, where do you see them going?To a sibling / offspring? To the thrift store?Some kind of mausoleum / shrine to your collectro-ness?buried with you?all ideas / anecdotes greatfully received.

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Couldn't you melt them down & make a casket?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    One of the best collections I've ever seen was owned by a guy named Jimmy Strickland in Louisiana. Jimmy wrote his name, date and other info on every one of the 10,000+ LP's he owned. He got cancer in his early 40's and instructed his uncle to "haul my records out to a field and burn them" after he died because he didn't want his relatives fighting over them.

His uncle did not obey his wishes, his family had a massive fight over what to do with the records and at least 4-5 serious collectors all got to buy some of it from various family members in the years after Jimmy's death. It pretty much broke up the family and some still don't speak to each other.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    Couldn't you melt them down & cast your delf in a mold doing your favorite avtivity, or doing that scream face like hahn solo?[/b]

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    My wife knows who to call...

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    One of the best collections I've ever seen was owned by a guy named Jimmy Strickland in Louisiana. Jimmy wrote his name, date and other info on every one of the 10,000+ LP's he owned. He got cancer in his early 40's and instructed his uncle to "haul my records out to a field and burn them" after he died because he didn't want his relatives fighting over them.

His uncle did not obey his wishes, his family had a massive fight over what to do with the records and at least 4-5 serious collectors all got to buy some of it from various family members in the years after Jimmy's death. It pretty much broke up the family and some still don't speak to each other.

that is sad

they either go to my son (if i have one) or to an already pre-determined friend who really likes what i own (we have been friends since grade school)

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    hahn solo?

Just for clarification it is Han Solo.

H[/b]ard A[/b]s N[/b]ails.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    sorry, i'm not into star warzzz

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    They will be placed in the King's Chamber of my Great Pyramid.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts

wow. story and a half.

a friend and I got into psych rock thanks to this massive collection that was acquired from a ridiculous collectro who sadly departed the earth, instructing his daughter to "sell it as a single lot, not break up the collection". Sadly a couple of very very serious dealers had the pick of it before we got there, not that we did badly. But the personal collection of LSD videos he had made was gone.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    what a question, my kids will get them for sure.
    i have to make sure they`ll know what the posess though.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Are you inferring that we I>can/I> take a few records with us?
    What do you know that we don't?
    Was something mentioned in the Dead Sea Scrolls?

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    sorry, i'm not into star warzzz

just for clarification, it's Star Wars[/b]

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Are you inferring that we
    I>can
    /I> take a few records with us?

What do you know that we don't?
    Was something mentioned in the Dead Sea Scrolls?

"When I die, don't bury me deep
    Put a rock & roll record at my feet"

---Ronnie Dawson, "Rockin' Bones," 1959