Ohio Players

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
So I'm in Columbus Ohio after doing a 2 day run here in this state. Waiting at the airport and Ohio Players "Never Had A Dream" came on the iPod shuffle, shortly followed by "Pride And Vanity." It got me thinking about how incredibly good these guys were. From the very beginning before they we're on Westbound we're talking real SOUL music, and of course the several album run they had during the early to mid 70s they're pretty much untouchable. Frickin' "Pride And Vanity" is a perfect song. And their run was solid through the disco shit they did later on which of course is all classics. They're not under appreciated in the least. But are they in contention to be mentioned when we talk of GOATS? I kind of think so. Ohio is the funkiest state in The Union for sure. Plus I made my first beat ever back in the early 90s from "Pain" Okay that's it. I spend way too much time bored at airports.

Comments

• YENYEN 23 Posts
    Agree in your topic! just wondering, are you the the guy on the left wearing the je suis frenchy, mais Funky t-shirt?! I know the designer > Parra! And I also know Arthur King!

Hollar at me!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Going by the LAST time we had an Ohio Players thread some months back, I'd think their Soul Strut GOAT status is pretty much solidified.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Word I don't remember the last OP conversation we had, but in my opinion overappeciation is better than under!

But shit, maybe I should start an O'Jays appreciation thread haha!

And yeah I'm the dude with the Parra shirt. I know Arthur too - he sent it to me. I'm definitely not Danny Krivit!

Word I don't remember the last OP conversation we had, but in my opinion overappeciation is better than under!

Hey, not complainin'! :-)

Well, if you do, "I Got Your Back" (like that Gerald and Eddie Levert song says)! Although I forget if we covered them recently, but WTF, go head on & do it if ya got half a mind to...

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    just found this today...never seen it before

some songs from "observations in time"but where the rest from?

regardless...the players are unfukwitable in my book

• YENYEN 23 Posts

And yeah I'm the dude with the Parra shirt. I know Arthur too - he sent it to me. I'm definitely not Danny Krivit!

Baldy is Danny krivit?! respect for the pica! how did you get the Tee? and do you have the record than? Just curious...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah it was from the Mizell Brothers tribute dinner in Miami last year. Danny is good peoples. So is Arthur. He sends me all his stuff, and we've talked about some collabos in the past.

just found this today...never seen it before

some songs from "observations in time"but where the rest from?

I'm assuming it's from an unissued album that they did for Compass around 1967. I have the non-Observations material on The Very Best Of The World Of Ohio Players, a reissue that appeared on United Artists in 1975 as part of their "Very Best Of" series.

Now, I've seen this album around quite a bit...with a different cover that featured a live shot of the band. But this jacket design is way better, because they try to make it look like a REAL Ohio Players record...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Hi Cosmo! Ohio Players are one on my all time favorite groups. One of the GOAT for sure. The singing, the bass lines, the horn section, the keyboards, the guitar and their arrangements. Also, their outfits and hair cuts were killin' it! F-U-N-K-Y!!!!!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Cos,

I'm with you all the way, the Ohio Players are . I've loved them since "First Impressions" through their hey day. I sampled this shit out of "First Impressions" when I first started sampling to make beats, and that "Find Someone to Love" drum fill at the beginning is unfuckwitable. They can do it all from the smooth love ballads (e.g., "Heaven Must Be Like This," "Alone," and "(I Wanna Know) Do You Feel It?") to the raw, uncut funk ("A Little Soul Party", "Pain," and "Laid It" [too one of my old samples]). By the way, "Paint Me" is my shit. I had to get that out. The Ohio Players is one of my favorite groups all-time and they are forever intertwined with my childhood memories. They were my soundtrack growing up!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• My dad is from Dayton Ohio,and was tight with the OHIO PLAYERS in the late 60's,way before they were household names.

My dad still has pictures with him and them together,chillin,and hangin out.

My dad plays guitar,and when he was with his band,he played with them in same clubs,in the same nights,back in the late 60's.

I've got all their 70's album's,and have been a fan since my early teens.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Dude...I've been bumping their "Angel" album hard the past few weeks. Also my dude J-boogie gave me a mix-cd and it had "Pride and Vanity", every time that part comes on it's :BREAKFACE:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I've been bumping their "Angel" album hard the past few weeks

Underated.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Am i the only one who thinks that Pain,Pleasure,& Ecstacy are connected titles?

i caught that too, but i figured that was the point all along

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

i caught that too, but i figured that was the point all along

duh

and climax

• rayray 77 Posts
    I've been listening to Roy Ayres Ubiquity this morning and this thread reminded me of how similar the bassline to "Hummin'" is to "Pride and Vanity"...