iTunes changing mp3s to Quicktime files?

john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
Has this happened to anyone? Every single song in itunes is now a quicktime movie file - it has an m4a extension, but the icon is a quicktime movie icon.I selected my entire library and chose "Convert to mp3." Is this the right thing to do? Is there something I can do to avoid this happening again? I checked a few forums, but I don't think I'm super-computer savvy enough to follow some of their suggestions.Thanks,John

Comments

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    It did this to me on my PC and won't let me change them! On my mac that I dj s.erato with though they have all remained mp3 files.

• breadwinnerbreadwinner 535 Posts
    Has this happened to anyone? Every single song in itunes is now a quicktime movie file - it has an m4a extension, but the icon is a quicktime movie icon.

apple didn't change anything, they have been m4a files. it's just a setting on your computer that somehow got switched.

i can't tell from what you wrote if you are on a mac or a pc -- so you get the mac directions

to fix on a mac...

control + click on any of the m4a files >> select Get Info[/b] >> select Open with:[/b] > change the default program back to itunes

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    I've found that when I download stuff with Firefox they show up as Quicktime files, but with Safari they are MP3 files. Not all the time, but alot.