Who Rides For Blackalicious?

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
I just revisited Blazing Arrow and Chief Xcel was killing it on most of the beats. Whats the soulstrut consensus?

Comments

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    First couple of singles(Send Them,etc), the e.p.(Melodica) and the a to g(and Nia) were pretty good!

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Whats the soulstrut consensus?

I bet it's going to be a backlash against backpackerisms.

I still ride for Melodica and I own the other albums through Blazing Arrow. The post melodica albums can be hit or miss, but still have some good moments. Gift Of Gab went from seeming like a great mc to "man, I don't know if I can listen to this guy anymore." I guess you could say that about Le Quannum.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I still bump Melodica but everything since then has been overall not good, IMO. Honestly, I think Chief Xcel's stiff and sparse boom-bap beats is the reason why their material sort of blew.

BUT, this shit is

I pretty much lost interest what they where doing until a friend of mine played a couple cuts off of the album, real good stuff.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Melodica is excellent. Swan Lake and 40oz for breakfast were mid-nineties anthems for me.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I just revisited Blazing Arrow and Chief Xcel was killing it on most of the beats. Whats the soulstrut consensus?

On Blazing Arrow specifically?

It's a terd.

Melodica though...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Whats the soulstrut consensus?

I bet it's going to be a backlash against backpackerisms.

I still ride for Melodica and I own the other albums through Blazing Arrow. The post melodica albums can be hit or miss, but still have some good moments. Gift Of Gab went from seeming like a great mc to "man, I don't know if I can listen to this guy anymore." I guess you could say that about Le Quannum.

Melodica was cool. I bought the major label EP that they did after that ("A2G"?) and it was a terd. Stopped checking for them at that point.

• BUT, this shit is

This album is so good

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Melodica is excellent. Swan Lake and 40oz for breakfast were mid-nineties anthems for me.

Yes.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

I pretty much lost interest what they where doing until a friend of mine played a couple cuts off of the album, real good stuff.

In a certain frame of mind, I can listen to that and like it alright.

In a more usual frame of mind though,

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    yes melodica. that mowax one is missing 1 track btw.

i just found that a2g ep but its a weird gatefold one with etched out wax in place of where the center sticker usually goes. um, yeah, im not liking it but it looks cool.

also, i became a fan of theirs off that solesides tape thingie they were selling in urb like 20 years ago. that thing was really good.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

BUT, this shit is

Of course Gab's solo record is real good stuff! The Seatown hommies Jake Weezey and Vitamin D produced the whole album. Seattle all day folls.........

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

In a certain frame of mind, I can listen to that and like it alright.

In a more usual frame of mind though,

yeah it's pretty kufi-centric. I just liked everything about it, plus I felt the production made Gab come tighter as a emcee with better concepts and whatnot.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

also, i became a fan of theirs off that solesides tape thingie they were selling in urb like 20 years ago[/b]. that thing was really good.

Nice try--you were sending in your free glowstick redemption coupon to Hurb just last week. Tawmbout "Oliver, can you pull some strings for me!?"

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

also, i became a fan of theirs off that solesides tape thingie they were selling in urb like 20 years ago[/b]. that thing was really good.

Nice try--you were sending in your free glowstick redemption coupon to Hurb just last week. Tawmbout "Oliver, can you pull some strings for me!?"

busted!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I ride for their first two projects but I can't roll with the more recent solo stuff.

"40 Oz For Breakfast' though =

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

There is something really nice about the fact that it takes it's time to get rolling. The beat rides for a few minutes before he comes in, but it's still really natural. The production on Melodica is great.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    melodica = yes.
    nia = yes.

the end.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    The post melodica albums can be hit or miss, but still have some good moments.

cosign.

and the Maroons tape was actually good:

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

There is something really nice about the fact that it takes it's time to get rolling. The beat rides for a few minutes before he comes in, but it's still really natural. The production on Melodica is great.

no doubt. the end of 40 oz went long enough for the sample to be ID'd and Solesides to be threatened with a lawsuit as I remember.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

On Blazing Arrow specifically?

It's a terd.

Melodica though...
    There was some definite bullshit on there, like that dialted jam and when Gift of Gab trys to get all "Hard Rock" on tracks.

But I can get down to:
    Purest Love
    Day One
    Brain Washers
    Aural Pleasure
    Now Where Fast
    Make it Feel that Way
    Blazing arrow (kind of corny but grows on you)
    First in Flight

I like those trippy, chill lounge-type beats,

But cosign on that Gift of Gab joint.

Joints like this make me happy.

and 40 oz for breakfast =

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I loved "Blazing Arrow." But I'm from Philly...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

no doubt. the end of 40 oz went long enough for the sample to be ID'd and Solesides to be threatened with a lawsuit as I remember.

Word? Never knew that. But that whole EP was "long samples." I wonder why Groove Holmes got p.o.ed about it.

^psssst? where my complimentary glowsticks?

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Blackalicious....

I liked Latyrx better back in the day, but I'm sure that's a whole other topic. Gift of Gab was okay for me, but I wasn't feeling a lot of his stuff.

i like them cuz the one dude is asian.

well, plus that send them 12" and the first latyrx 12" was really really really good. jansport love!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Fuck that, I'm putting "Blazing Arrow" on my iPod today.

I liked Latyrx better back in the day

I liked some of their shit, mainly these:

and
    that one where lateef and lyrics born are rapping at the same time.

Now I cant stand either of these dudes. I think I just liked DJ Shadows beats.

Fuck that, I'm putting "Blazing Arrow" on my iPod today.

• I liked Nia, but everything after that was kinda weak, in my opinion. Gab's solo record was doo-doo.