(fantasy) Premier League roundup

OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
It's been a really good season, unless you're a Derby fan. Manure won again, but they did play some amazing football in the process. Tough luck Reading and Brum City. And congratulations to Jake Shears' Murklemen, on winning the SoulStrut fantasy league. Afraid you don't win anything but bragging rights. (Maybe next season we should offer up some raers to the winner.)# Team Manager Gameweek Total1 Shears' Murklemen Jake Shears 51 22182 Justin Fashanu's XI lawrence lord 50 21763 Eggs = Pistols Steve Dalston-Bull 67 21194 TShrt, Jeans & Nikes Sir Oskarinho 50 20375 EssenceOfAMan XI Ali J 42 20116 Jossy's Giants Marc Dos 58 19707 Geoff. geoff p 52 19698 C-Villains Ed Lee 65 19039 The Wizard's Sleeves James Jennett 58 190210 Bendless Flight Dr Bob Bobson 31 188311 Jos?? changed my life Gareth Ward 42 187112 The Invaders Duane Pesante 38 184813 Bottomsborough Ronan Timmins 43 183714 CL Smoothie mark stowell 50 183415 Funky Scouser dj prestige 64 180516 Club Compliance Paul Chase 42 177217 Classic Material robert bluemke 26 173418 Soul On Grass Mack McCoy 65 171319 The Funky 5kulls Ben Tan 43 167320 Watts Riots FC Trilly Ocean 28 166121 grass stains space ghost 26 164522 you_sound_white jonathan lee 37 161023 obeliscs david da costa 43 155924 Deadbeats Zom B 34 147825 Sellers F.C. A Godfrey 22 147326 Ex Spector Ant ben kopsa 38 139427 201 Players Rich Nicholls 33 135828 Dirk Wears Red Sox Paul McGee 33 1352I haven't done a fantasy league since they first came out, when I was but a boy. They're def. a lot better on the internet. I enjoyed geeking out, and getting way to into it.

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    I did it with no u*ited players! It did mean I made (and paid for) 87 transfers, but it was more fun.

Fug a Thaksin. 8-1 was a nice message to him.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    In my defence (I finished 2nd last) I forgot all about this.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    fun times strutters. i'd do it again for sure.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Do you think that's what was behind the score line? It would be great if it was.

I think quite a few lost interest, or forgot, there was def a midway slump / drop-off.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts

Do you think that's what was behind the score line? It would be great if it was.

Dunne getting himself sent off with 75 mins to go didn't help. But yeah, the players and the fans are really pissed at the situation. It's not like they have anything to play for (no change there) and now there is a sham tour of the far east to come. The decent players all want out.

I wonder if they'll change their minds when Mourinho comes... oops, did I type that out loud?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Dunne getting himself sent off with 75 mins to go didn't help. But yeah, the players and the fans are really pissed at the situation. It's not like they have anything to play for (no change there) and now there is a sham tour of the far east to come. The decent players all want out.

I wonder if they'll change their minds when Mourinho comes... oops, did I type that out loud?

It's going to be an interesting summer.

Where will Crouch end up? Or Barry? Micah Richards? Dimitar Berbatov? Michael Owen? How many more Arsenal player will get poached by spanish or italian teams?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Anyone else "keeping it real" by supporting their totally unsuccessful local side and paying over a score every other week to watch abysmal pap that's one step above parks football? Or just me?

To be honest, watching these huge balance sheets bruising each other every week on MOTD has been monotonous.
    Special mention to the mad hippy professor Wenger - one day, Arsene, one day your pretty butterflies will be the mighty kings of the jungle. OK, maybe not.
    No love to Chelsea. The footballing equivalent of papering your spectacular riverside penthouse with og Boscoe sleeves at 400 quid a pop. Rich but tasteless.
    No love to Manure - can't stand Ferguson. Or Rio. Or Neville. Or Querioz.
    Thaksin - next stop McLaren. You richly deserve each other.

Jaded and grumpy.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    You are, aren't you.

I used to go and watch Wycombe Wanderers play when I was a kiddie. But although I grew up there, I haven't lived there for 10 odd years, and my following of their season has slowly, but surely, dwindled to not really giving a shit.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    You are, aren't you.

I used to go and watch Wycombe Wanderers play when I was a kiddie. But although I grew up there, I haven't lived there for 10 odd years, and my following of their season has slowly, but surely, dwindled to not really giving a shit.

yeah it's been really disenchanting this season. It's bad enough fighting relegation to the netherworld of League 2; add a soul-less ground, dwindling support, owners and board members I can no longer name, and players who are where they are because they are fitter than the parks player. It's as bad as it has ever been round here. Still, come the new season, I'll be ready to start with hope anew.

we need this guy

• LawrenceLawrence 125 Posts
    # Team Manager Gameweek Total

1 Shears' Murklemen Jake Shears 51 2218
    2 Justin Fashanu's XI lawrence lord 50 2176

well done Jake... i was pipped to post after leading for most the year.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I think quite a few lost interest, or forgot, there was def a midway slump / drop-off.

Yeah, I was able to stay top ten until the Christmas break, at which point I forgot
    about the whole thing and never really got back into it. Spurs having a nightmare
    season didn't help hold my interest, although around the Carling Cup I was getting
    hyped again, but once they started mailing it in and settling for mid-table complacency,
    I watched games but wasn't feeling very passionate.

I'll go again next season - shouldn't be too hard to improve on 18th place

At least the Arse didn't win shit this year

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Wasn't in the Soulstrut fantasy league. But this is how I always am with these things, a load of effort into picking the right team at the start and by week 3 forgotten about it!

Might join the Soulstrut one next season and see if I can persevere though.

Still a good season for me as a Man Utd fan and Stockport County fan. A Champions League win and a Stockport win in play off final at Wembley (as long as we perform well at Edgeley in the return leg of the semi) would be an amazing end to the season!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    even if you hate man poo, you have to admire them for the football they played this year. Extremely entertaining, aka the opposite of Chelsea. Props to Droghba but everybody else on that team can eat a.....

Wenger needs funds he won't get to deepen his bench, there's too much debt tied up with Emirates staudium. He just doesn't have enough #'s to last a grueling season of League, FA, Carling and Euro. Walcott will be a star next season.

I'm extremely pleased to see Scholes and Giggsy still contributing. Perhaps Brown has finally displaced Neville for good at left back.

Gareth Barry will go for big $ this summer.

Things aren't looking great for Arsenal at the moment though, with Flamini gone, Hleb going, talk of Adebayor wanting massive wage rises and obvious interest from big clubs in Fabregas - particulary from his hometown by Real Madrid...

Perhaps Brown has finally displaced Neville for good at left back.

Neville and Brown are both right backs. I think it is more likely Ferguson will buy someone in to fill right back position, I don't think Brown is good enough to hold it down regularly and Neville is getting no younger and is riddled with injuries.

Ferguson was interested in Bosingwa, but it appears today that Chelsea have managed to sign him - albeit for an inflated price.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Great season boys. Tho my reds didn't have an amazing year and my SS team was sucking most of the season...

And eventho I'm not a ManU fan, I still got a little choked up seeing Giggs score that goal.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Things aren't looking great for Arsenal at the moment though, with Flamini gone, Hleb going, talk of Adebayor wanting massive wage rises and obvious interest from big clubs in Fabregas - particulary from his hometown by Real Madrid...

I know I will wear some rose-colored glasses, but fools need to chill about the Arsenal impending demise. If anything, just recall the same shit people were saying last year after Henry left. Last I recall, we were supposed to get ousted by the Spurs for a CL spot this season.

Anyway, Cesc dropped his agent because he was apparently sick and tired of continually being linked to Spain. Also, Arsenal apparently have a payment plan that awards results, so a lot of these guys make money on the back end and not so much in the weekly paycheck.

that said, yes, i agree that if Arsenal want to continue to challenge for the League and the CL, they will need to revise their payment structure, especially for players already on the team.

But I still cannot agree at all with the $30M style payments that is used by CFC and the like. Shit, 9 days from now, if CFC lose a game (that is likely fixed), they will have a starting roster that costs around 200M and will have earned them absolutely nothing for the year.

Say what you will, but I see huge flaws with having billionaires run clubs like it's their personal play-toy. CFC have had huge success, but if Abromvich ever got bored with his squad they would be in a situation that Leeds could have only dreamed about. And ManU is now on it's second season with reporting a loss (89M this year). Say what you would like, but if players can get poached so easily, its very risky to take on so much debt just to fill your squad. At least the Arsenal debt is for a stadium, and the Emarites isn't leaving for Italy any time soon.

Arsenal could probably just suck it up and get a Billionaire (red & white) to bankroll their squad, but they would do so at what i see as enormous risk to control of the club. I think it their case, the devil you do know is better than the devil you don't.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    And eventho I'm not a ManU fan, I still got a little choked up seeing Giggs score that goal.

agreed. but any thoughts to if he retires on that note? ManU has a shit ton of midfielders who will be clamoring for more playing time next year (me thinks anderson will soon deserve a starting spot). Scholes and Giggsy are looking a little long in the tooth, although it was not too visible yesterday.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    # Team Manager Gameweek Total

1 Shears' Murklemen Jake Shears 51 2218
    2 Justin Fashanu's XI lawrence lord 50 2176

well done Jake... i was pipped to post after leading for most the year.

Thanks man, first time i paid attention to a Fantasy League all season so glad i won it in the end!

Bit gutting to see Arsenal come close but falter at the end but looking forward to seeing what they do next season, REALLY hope Hleb doesn't leave this summer, such an important player and so creative as well as hard to get the ball off.

On a local tip, really hoping Bristol City do the business in the play-offs and get promoted, would be a good reward for such a strong season just after promotion and would be crazy to see the big teams come to Bristol.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    It was a hotly contested season for the European places in the fantasy league and in the end my faith in the +6 points one week -6 the next of Dunne finally cost me vital points in the final week.

In the real world, obviously over the moon about us retaining the title and Giggs getting the goal to seal it was almost too perfect to not have been scripted. I think we need very few players this summer though gutted about Chelsea pipping us for Bosingwa, one of the few positions we really need to strengthen. Be very interested to see what Chelsea do with signings this summer. Not to mention what route Wenger takes in strengthening his team.

However it's all about the champion's league now - as the match draws nearer my hopes of it being an entertaining game of football are rising.

United will be looking to sign a right back and a striker for next season. I'm a fan of Berbatov but I think his manner is a little nonchalant for Fergie/United. Some talk of Luis Fabiano on a cut-price deal from Sevilla but definately not Owen, we'd have more luck playing Saha.

I don't think finding a right-back will be a problem, Richards would be nice but probably not for sale. Fergie can always dig up some Vidic-esque 5 Mil bargain from somewhere. Failing that Wes Brown has developed as a RB quite considerably and if he can improve his concentration and stop giving away those fouls, there's no reason why he can't be starting next season or at least compete with Neville.

I'm particularly delighted with how we're looking on the wings despite Giggs imminent retirement, we are gifted with three players equally adept on the left and right. A more attacking option with Nani who can run wild with his appalling decision making and the more conservative Park who should be starting every game next season based on current form.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I think with maturity Wes Brown could be really good. The couple of games I've seen with him playing centre back he's been surprisingly impressive.

LOL at Chelsea trying to buy Messi for 80 million.

he's great cover for Rio and Vidic, they got Pique in the mix as well.

Cosign on United's wealth in talented midfielders at the moment. The fact that Anderson may not even make the bench for the CL final speaks volumes about the talent we have there at the moment. I think they need an out and out striker more than someone like Berbatov and, while Brown has improved, they need a truly dependable addition to the back four as well.

Messi for 80 million is truly laughable - when will they learn?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Messi for 80 million is truly laughable - when will they learn?

I can just see Abramovic turning up and acting just like the Paul Whitehouse impersonation. "80 million. I buy. You come Chelski."

maybe i'm missing the point but Messi is possibly the best player in the world right now, just turned 20, seems like a real pro and even if he wasn't trying he'd still be better then 99% out.

80 mil from a club where money isn't an issue seems like good business and isn't comparable to some of their other transfer fiascos. If I was a Chelsea fan, I'd be completely over the moon at the prospect of him playing in the Premier League.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    maybe i'm missing the point but Messi is possibly the best player in the world right now, just turned 20, seems like a real pro and even if he wasn't trying he'd still be better then 99% out.

80 mil from a club where money isn't an issue[/b] seems like good business and isn't comparable to some of their other transfer fiascos. If I was a Chelsea fan, I'd be completely over the moon at the prospect of him playing in the Premier League.

I think that's part of the problem. But I don't see how Messi would fit in the chelsea team, or maybe even in the EPL.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

80 mil from a club where money isn't an issue seems like good business and isn't comparable to some of their other transfer fiascos. If I was a Chelsea fan, I'd be completely over the moon at the prospect of him playing in the Premier League.

If Chelsea were to end up paying 80 mil for Messi, then it'd be a consequence of their willingness to pay over the odds for players since Abramovich arrived. Their "money no object" approach to the transfer market has resulted in it becoming massively inflated once more when, prior to Abramovich sending market values through the roof, it was beginning to settle at a more realistic level, one at which more clubs would be able to compete and, by extension, benefit from.

Now you'll have to excuse me - I have a wooden spoon which needs varnishing.

Ditto on what Moke and Doc have said on the subject. The mere idea of offering 80 million for a player reeks more of throwing money at a problem than a carefully thought out game plan; collecting big name players rather than actually planning out a team and where the players would fit within that structure.