why are JAPANESE superstitious about 4?

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
can someone accustomed to japanese culture plaese explain. thanks, stein. . .

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Dunno about japanese, but

4 = si (hard sound) = sort of sounds like the word for "death" in mandarin chinese (si 3rd aka inflected sound)

probably similar in japanese, hence the supersition

• Chuck_HussChuck_Huss 145 Posts

Dunno about japanese, but
    4 = si (hard sound) = sort of sounds like the word for "death" in mandarin chinese (si 3rd of inflected sound)

probably similar in japanese, hence the supersition

Yup. When you count things like people, there's even a different pronunciation for 4; "yon" instead of "shi". Same for 7; instead of "shichi", its something like "nana".

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts

Crazy Japanese!!

• Many Japanese hospitals don't have a 4th floor either.
    Wouldn't wanna granny to think you're shipping her to the morgue prematurely.

Maybe that's why they gave me a braek on my rent here... I'm on the 4th floor!

• snosno 332 Posts
    Many Japanese hospitals don't have a 4th floor either.

Many new residential buildings in this neck of the wood do not have any of the following:

4th, 14th, 24th etc (4 sounds like "Death" in Mandarin and Cantonese);
    7th, 17th, 27th etc (Chinese mourning period goes in cycles of 7 days); and
    13th floor (something for the westerner).

It often fucks me up when I receive a building schematic at work with them taking out all those numbers. it makes the building sounds much higher than it should.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    yea a lot of industrial or residential buildings here don't have 4th or 14th floors...

the sound of it in Chinese is very similar to the word 'death'.

I hear an echo...

DAI LU MAO ZHI? SAYING, manny americans do!

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    haha

never that SON!

• snosno 332 Posts
    I hear an echo...

Now that's a coincidence that officially creeps me out. Perhaps it's Friday afternoon here...

DAI LU MAO ZHI? SAYING, manny americans do!

Cosign with Kenny. Never that.

Cosign with Kenny and Sno, Never hat, son[/b]

Never wear a green hat in China/Taiwan

• snosno 332 Posts
    Never wear red shoes[/b] in China/Taiwan

But I see a lot of red/crimson suede 575s here. Oh well, it's just the old man inside me doing the talking.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i swear i saw this lady wearing nothing but yellow ALL over her once in North Point...

i mean ANYTHING from plastic bags and raincoast , ALL YELLOW...

crazy shit!

• snosno 332 Posts
    i swear i saw this lady wearing nothing but yellow ALL over her once in North Point...

i mean ANYTHING from plastic bags and raincoast , ALL YELLOW...

crazy shit!

Was she wearing the yellow wig as well? Yellow nail varnish and all? That yellow lady was something of an urban legend back in the 90s. Damn I thought that crazy yellow lady passed away ages ago...

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    yup thats her mang! yellow wig and all...

long time ago though, back when i used to live around that area...

then there's this dredlocked hobo who just like to take a dump in the middle of the walkway from time to time, along King's Rd....what a hero !

• snosno 332 Posts
    yup thats her mang! yellow wig and all...

long time ago though, back when i used to live around that area...

then there's this dredlocked hobo who just like to take a dump in the middle of the walkway from time to time, along King's Rd....what a hero !

no shit. yellow lady Ver 2.0 perhaps? 'cos last time I saw her I was in Form 5, that was about 15 or 16 odd years ago...

Dreadlocked hobo? there was one at fortress Hill since early 2000. And I haven't seen that guy since like late last year. But if the fortress hill guy is the same one we talk about, damn me because one time my Airwalk was ruined by stepping on some abnormaly long and huge turd. And I remember saying to myself, "damn that's some huge turd for some dogs).

PS. Apologies for thread hijack.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    My Japanese teacher said that it was close to the word cemetery and/or death, therefore making it not the move. Shi in roma-jin.
    T.N.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Many Japanese hospitals don't have a 4th floor either.
    Wouldn't wanna granny to think you're shipping her to the morgue prematurely.

maybe they should put the morgue on the fourth floor then. makes sense to me.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I always thought that "4" was fucked because it just looks like something that could fuck you up. Shit is pointy. If you're not careful, you could poke someone's eye out with a 4.

8 is a good number.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    yeah cause im in process of shopping for an mp3 player, and i noticed sony went from the hd3 model to hd5 for the precise reason y'all mentioned. its wierd that a major corporation would follow with that, but it makes sense in regards to their clientelle.

• I found this using a website called "Google" like that craaaazyyy number, anyway

Japanese Superstitions

* Sleeping towards the North:
    Do not sleep towards the North beacause bodies are laid down like that.

* Funeral Car:
    If a funeral car passes you should hide your thumb.

* Cut nails at night:
    If you cut your nails at night, you will not be with your parents when they die.

* Lie down after eating:
    If you lie down immedeately after eating, you will become a cow.

* Whistle in the night:
    If you whistle in the night, a snake will come to you.