Good Records NYC going out of business... SIKE

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
... for a couple weeks while we move to a new store! bwahahahaha.I will be closing the shop at 179 East 3rd Street after next weekend. It has been a great 3 years. Shit, it feels like yesterday that I opened it. So with great regret, despite much love, money, blood, sweat and tears invested... unfortunately I have to make this move. My lease is up 5/31/08 and my landlord will only offer me a month-to-month arrangement. Obviously, I need a bit more security than that. In addition, my operation has long since outgrown the small digs on 3rd Street and it's time to expand. Hell, it's only right!I want to thank everyone on this board and all of the others who might be lurking for making GRNYC such a success. It really could've gone either way but I'm real proud of what we've accomplished. For fans of the shop - trust me, this is gonna be a big step up.The new space is bigger, nicer, more centrally located, has a HUGE basement, back office and even a back yard. I have new collections, new product, new systems, and a new outlook. Look forward to the same standard of high quality vinyl, with even broader selection at reasonable prices.Now for the details! The new store will be located at:218 East 5th Street, between 2nd Avenue & Bowery. A short walk from A-1, just across the avenue from Gimme Gimme (& Tropicalia In Furs), a stone's throw from Cooper Square... with close access to the 6, N/R, and F trains.So come see me this week at the old spot, we'll be getting it in as always holding forth in classic style. Then, check us out in June at the 5th Street store. I'll be poasting here and on my website about the Grand Opening Date, so stay tuned.Thanks again to Raj & crew, and all the many customers that frequent this board. It gets greater later.- JonnyGood Records NYC

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    it's time to expand. Hell, it's only right!

• kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
    Congrats man! I was all sad and shit for a second when I saw the thread title. I haven't even been to the shop yet. Maybe later this year...

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    Nice!

• Shit is pink.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Congratulations! Sad that I won't get to check out the original spot, but awesome that you're expanding. Don't let that basement flood!

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Looking forward to the new digs...I will bring a christening drink on my next visit.

As one who has helped pay that rent...Congrats!

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

My Hi and Lois selection has outgrown these meager digs.[/b]

can we see that photoshopped image of the comic book store guy from the simpsons in the shop for old timey sake? that was gold.

edit: ^^^^^^beat me to it

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    can we see that photoshopped image of the comic book store guy from the simpsons in the shop for old timey sake? that was gold.

I read your mind!

I read your mind!

get out of my brain!

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    congratulations!!!

my heart dropped when i read the topic haha

but yo. how bout some Frickin' bbq's since you will have a backyard???

do it do it!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

My Hi and Lois selection has outgrown these meager digs.[/b]

Forever classic.

You should print this out so JP can hang it up in the new spot.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    congratulations!!!

my heart dropped when i read the topic haha

but yo. how bout some Frickin' bbq's since you will have a backyard???

do it do it!!

Archaic-approved.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    this thread made me realize i curse too much

i like how it changed my obscenity to Frickin tho

thanks technology

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    congratulations J!

Can't wait to visit your store in NYC...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Jonny,

Congratulations on the big step up, holmes!!! I plan to get over to get some "Good Records" some time in the near future. Keep on winnin', son!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    JEAH!!!!!!!!

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Looking forward to coming to the new spot! Save some raers for me loc.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Upwards & onwards my man. Happy to hear it.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Congrats Johnny!!!!
    Glad to hear your shop is going on to bigger and better things homie:)

Peace,
    Adrian

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I'll visit the new shop when I'm in NY for WFMU! Rad!

Will footrubs still exist?

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Congrats J!

I'm hopefully gonna be up in NY the second week of June. Plaese to coordinate grand opening weekend to coincide. Thanks!

What;s up w/ a grand opening jam?

I can get Mariah Carey to sing over some Herbie Hancock.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    wishing you continued success, prosperity and happiness.
    peace, stein. . .

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    nice one, dude

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    YEAH the thread title def gave me a sickening feeling, but it went right to red blooded jealousy when i opened the thread. good luck wit the new shop!!
    maybe someday i can visit.

• ill be out there on june 14th, definitely try to swing through.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yo broc, make sure theres a bike rack out front. i'll be ther soon homes

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    This is great R**** I'm really happy for you dude. You deserve it homaaay!