Freddie Hubbard's Love Connection

novasolnovasol 204 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Just got done dining on this tastey bit of '79 soul jazz. Al jarreau singing on Little Sunflower scratches the chalkboard, but that track smolders with a transcending roll that rivals Lonnie Smiths Expansions. And damn what a line-up of supporting musicians....A dollar bin masterpiece!Discussions?This track is also on a boot comp called Strough Brewing Co. Guess they did some tweaking with the tracks. Anyone got info on this?

Comments

• GNZGNZ 68 Posts
    Haven't heard this one, but hubbards 1970 albums on CTI "Red Clay" and "Straight Life" are great early fusion/jazz-funk. Why couldn't CTI have continued to put out records of these type?
    Just found Freddie Hubbard/Stanley Turrentine Live Vol. 1 on CTI on the cheap and it can be added to list as well. Just two songs, but a rock solid backing band w/hancock, jack de johnette, ron carter and eric gale on guitar. Herbie's wah'ed out rhodes has almost never been equalled by him since.

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    Haven't heard this one, but hubbards 1970 albums on CTI "Red Clay" and "Straight Life" are great early fusion/jazz-funk. Why couldn't CTI have continued to put out records of these type?
    Just found Freddie Hubbard/Stanley Turrentine Live Vol. 1 on CTI on the cheap and it can be added to list as well. Just two songs, but a rock solid backing band w/hancock, jack de johnette, ron carter and eric gale on guitar. Herbie's wah'ed out rhodes has almost never been equalled by him since.

Should be able to find this dollar bin. A good friend brought it to my attention via the Strough comp. The line up includes Phil Ranelin, Chester Thompson, Tom Scott and many more. If you can get pass the Al Jarreau vocals, Little Sunflower will highten any late night drive thru a foggy countryside complete with rolling hills and gentle curves. Be sure to roll the windows down!

It does resemble some CTI work, but I think more grown, sexy and sophisticated.

If you can find the highly recommended Strough Brewing Co boot, with a number of other similar vibe inducing tracks..pick it up, record it and send me the lp. Chances are low you'll find the boot as it was a highly limited pressing I believe. They didn't "rework" the tracks per say, just tweaked/subdued the arrangements (like the "Exotic Objective Directions" comp). It was put out back in the early/mid 90's.

• GNZGNZ 68 Posts
    I can respect the more "grown, sexy and sophisticated" music of jazz/fusion icons like hubbard, but personally I prefer the more raw fusion blowing represented on red clay and straight life, complete with a mindblowing personnell lineup.

Hubbard is just a good musician though. He's never blown a "bad" chorus per se, but many, many a cheesy one. He is a legend just from his work w/coltrane, dolphy, henderson, turrentine and of course his classic blue note (and CTI!) solos.