Beat Battles - Producer Strut

GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3jUOhZ_B7wo

What is the Frickin' point of this? I remember when Babu would actually rip on stage and now this is what a battle is? * BARF *Do beat battles actually go down like this?

Comments

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    so they both won?

I wonder if they just brought in beats from the studio that they made? It should be a thing where you have 20 minutes to make some shit using the same sample or whatever , have the DJ entertain the crowd in the meantime and then you play it for them.

Yea that wasn't too entertaining but I liked Babu's beats.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Oh my goodness. Watching their faces is so funny. And embarassing. Nice beats, but still...

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    watching a producer dance to their own beat is probably the most embarrasing thing ever

• erikbeatserikbeats 129 Posts
    beat battles are done different ways all over.
    we do them here in portland.
    i have seen the pre made beat style battles and the everyone make the beats on the fly style battles.
    there is one in portland thats actually happening next week.
    everyone who competes gets the same samples and they have one hour to make something out of the sounds provided. the audience judges.
    theres a bunch of clubs around here throwing them.
    its cool
    the dopest thing about throwing the battle is picking out the samples the beat heads get to use.
    shit its dope. i stay up the night before the battle and get together the samples.
    its cool cuz you can make a dope ass kit out of only 8 samples but 16 producers will all make something completly different from each other.
    its cool too because it brings people from different scenes together and i like that aspect of it.
    peep the space
    http://www.myspace.com/beatoffbeatbattle

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    corny as hell to me. I got some friends that do this stuff, and I think its good for them and dudes like them. personally I think its muy lame-o in terms of an entertaining show.

in most cases ive seen (not shown in the vid posted) its more about who has the zanier dance moves to go along with their beat. some of these dudes beats are sooooooo horid, yet they are getting the crowd open with some bizarre on-stage behavior which gets them the win (winner typically desided by the crowd).

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    somewhat comforting to see Mannie scrolling through the same wack presets as everyone else.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    shit is sad. its like a cool kids club in LA... and everyone is wack.

• wescoasiawescoasia 126 Posts
    As corny or boring as the beat battles may seem, I'm still anticipating the DVD release of Dusk's Root Down Soundclash:

The night Thes went up against Will.I.Am was the most exciting one, imo. Anyone know if this is still in the works?