Selling on ebay

ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
I'm going to start listing some items on ebay very soon but I'm having some difficulty with certain aspects of the process. I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable dealers could help me out. If so, I'd really appreciate it.I'm starting to create the listings so that I can go and get them from my account once their all ready and list them together.Is this an efficient way to list everything together at the same time?And how do you accurately quote the shipping prices in your auction? When I try checking out the rates on USPS or other sites like that they ask for the destination so I can't really get an accurate price(I mean shipping to California probably doesn't cost as much as shipping to Vermont from over here in Montreal).Thanks.

Comments

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    I'm going to start listing some items on ebay very soon but I'm having some difficulty with certain aspects of the process. I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable dealers could help me out. If so, I'd really appreciate it.
    I'm starting to create the listings so that I can go and get them from my account once their all ready and list them together.Is this an efficient way to list everything together at the same time?
    And how do you accurately quote the shipping prices in your auction? When I try checking out the rates on USPS or other sites like that they ask for the destination so I can't really get an accurate price(I mean shipping to California probably doesn't cost as much as shipping to Vermont from over here in Montreal).
    Thanks.
    get turbolister. It really helps for multiple listings of records and keeps a good inventory system for you. I dunno about shipping though. I usually charge a flat rate of like $5 to $8 depending on how much quality they want for shipping.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Unfortunately I can't use that cuz I'm on a Mac.The main issue I'm facing now though is the shipping rates issue.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Where do you "get" turbolister from? is it a program or is it something you d/l off ebay?

Where do you "get" turbolister from? is it a program or is it something you d/l off ebay?
    http://pages.ebay.com/TURBO_LISTER/

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    inkfrog.com

That Turbolister program looks good. I'll see if i can do this on my bro's PC laptop. Concerning the shipping though I estimated a record weighing 0.25 kg just to be on the safe side and shipping average to the US is $5.45 ,but surpirisingly it's only about $8 to Japan which seems weird...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Some things you'll need:

PIZZA BOXES

I find that if they still have a lil bit o cheese on 'em it keeps the record from jostling around in the mail. Of course it's difficult to eat that much pizza so you're either going to have to throw a lot of parties or suck it up and buy some new ones. Disgruntled Pizza Hut delivery boys can usually hook it up.

PLASTIC GROCERY BAGS

Some of the collector types want the lp shipped outside of the sleeve, so, a good way to not get pizza goo on it is to wrap that bad boy in a plastic grocery bag.

DUCT TAPE

I think this is pretty self explanatory.

Some things you'll need:

PIZZA BOXES

I find that if they still have a lil bit o cheese on 'em it keeps the record from jostling around in the mail. Of course it's difficult to eat that much pizza so you're either going to have to throw a lot of parties or suck it up and buy some new ones. Disgruntled Pizza Hut delivery boys can usually hook it up.

PLASTIC GROCERY BAGS

Some of the collector types want the lp shipped outside of the sleeve, so, a good way to not get pizza goo on it is to wrap that bad boy in a plastic grocery bag.

DUCT TAPE

I actually got a record in a used pizza box one time. There were grease stains all over the jacket.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Some things you'll need:

PIZZA BOXES

PLASTIC GROCERY BAGS

DUCT TAPE

I actually got a record in a used pizza box one time. There were grease stains all over the jacket.

Sadly, suggestions 1, 2 and 3 perfectly describe my first ebay purchase. The seller went a step further, though, and used the little plastic piece that goes in the middle of the pizza to keep it from getting squished. Pure comedy. I was was half expecting him to at least through in some bread sticks or jalapeno peppers with my order.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    shit the first time I ever ordered from Norton records (R&B, garage, etc reissue label), it was about 97 or so, I ordered 5 LPs and 3 45s and they came in a Frickin' paper grocery bag all taped up, no cardboard to reinforce them, just put in a bag and taped up...this from a company that had been in business for over 10 years at that point..

Funniest ebay purchase was a 45 sandwiched inbetween two pieces of styrofoam about 4 inches thick each and about 14" x 14", the box was the size of a box you would get a stereo reciever or something in.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Some things you'll need:
    PIZZA BOXES
    PLASTIC GROCERY BAGS
    DUCT TAPE

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    (I mean shipping to California probably doesn't cost as much as shipping to Vermont from over here in Montreal).
    Thanks.

It's actually the same amount.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I posted about this on Waxidermy a few weeks ago when it happened, but after 6 years of buying records online and thinking I'd seen just about every variation of crude packaging out there, I encountered a new one. The record was packed in a padded envelope sandwiched between two squares of wood veneer... like the type of stuff the Brady Bunch would have had covering the walls of their basement clubhouse or whatever. They appeared to be custom cut 12 by 12 too. Like dude fired up the radial arm saw as soon as my paypal notification arrived.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I got some records in the mail placed in a cut up appliance cardboard box - like a refrigerator or something like that.
    he cut a long strip and marked a notch so it would wrap around the records easily. Then he taped up the cardboard with heavy packaging tape. Honestly it was probably some of the most solid shipping Ive ever gotten. The cardboard seemed really really thick and sturdy.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    These shipping stories are all awesome!

Some things you'll need:

PIZZA BOXES

PLASTIC GROCERY BAGS

DUCT TAPE

All jokes aside, I was able to get the rates for Europe,Asia & the US but when it comes to shipping locally here in Canada the rates vary a lot. I was wondering what you other Canadian dealers charge or specify as shipping rates here in Canada.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    while I've never done a pizza box, I am guilty of using multiple plastic bags as wrapping/padding inside a proper record mailer. I got bazillions of them at the house, and I just can't bring myself to put more plastic in the world. works just as good as bubble wrap.