your dj/studio equipment vs the desert heat?

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
I work out in the desert about an hour away from home and I'm there 4 days a week. So now I'm thinking about moving a turntable,mixer and midi keyboard and bring a laptop to a from the spot. My main question is how will my equipment fare in 115 plus heat? So in my spot when I first get there before I turn the ac on it's like 125 plus in that bitch. I wont be bringin any external hard drives out there for sure but how will my laptop hold up? Since I'm spending so much time out there I feel like I gotta do something when I'm not at work. Any advice? BTW: it hasn't gotten that hot yet but will be getting up there in about a month or so...

Comments

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Oof I dunno about the desert. The tropics are a bitch though. In the last month both my left and right monitor speakers have fried out independently, and a colony of ants started nesting inside my iPod (they crawled in through the docking plug).

• mumbosaucemumbosauce 480 Posts
    Just as long as you don't have your equipment plugged in and running the heat shouldn't be a problem. Before you turn on your equipment and start using it make sure the AC is on. It is extremely easy for your equipment to overheat if the environment is 115+ degrees farenheit. I wouldn't even risk running my equipment in that unless I had AC. If the AC was on and the environment is cool enough you should have no problem.

We had a room with a couple of servers and the AC died in that room. The heat shot up so quick and it got so hot that all the harddrives in the machines failed and a couple CPUs in a machine or two died from overheating. This was in a room about 20x15 where the AC is normally 68degrees. Once the AC died the heat from the machines heated up that room with the quicknesss. I could see you trying to run your machine in a room that is already that hot. If your machine is smart enough it may cut itself off if it detects that the environment is too hot.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    If you can, try to keep the a/c on between 85-90 when you're not there. That way the place doesn't overheat and you're not paying an enormous electric bill when you're not using it. You can keep everything plugged in how you normally would without worrying.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    I live out in the desert where it gets up to 45C/115F+ every day - I don't have any studio gear out here, but a couple of laptops and an ipod and slr camera.

The heat isn't as much of a problem as the dust it seems. Everyone here has problems with dust getting into all of their electronics, no matter how careful you are.

As long as you are careful with the dust and are careful not to leave anything running for too long un-airconditioned you should be fine.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    thanks for the info guys. I don't want to keep my ac on even when I'm not there so I'm just gonna turn on the ac when I get to the crib, and wait til the place cools down before using any equipment.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    I work out in the desert about an hour away from home and I'm there 4 days a week. So now I'm thinking about moving a turntable,mixer and midi keyboard and bring a laptop to a from the spot.

what, working at a missle range in the desert isn't cool enough? lol, just kidding.