Feliz 5 de mayo!

Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
Much peace and blessings to my Mexican brothers! Enjoy your day!

Comments

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    i got my flag cape on with my suit at work today and all that.

that 25% of me is whylin tonight [hopefully].

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I love Mexico. More national holidays than any other country:

January 1: A??o Nuevo (New Year's Day), is an January 6: D??a de Los Santos Reyes is the day when Mexicans exchange Christmas presents in accordance with the arrival of the three gift-bearing wisemen to Jesus Christ. This day culminates the Christmastime festivities.
    January 17: Feast Day of de San Antonio de Abad is a religious holiday during which the Catholic Church allows animals to enter the church for blessing.

February

February 2: D??a de la Candelaria or Candlemas, is a religious holiday that is celebrated with processions, dancing, bullfights in certain cities, and the blessing of the seeds and candles. The festivities are best seen in: San Juan de los Lagos, Jalapa; Talpa de Allende, Jalisco; and Santa Maria del Tuxla, Oaxaca.
    January 31- February 5 (2008): Carnaval is an official Mexican holiday that kicks off a five-day celebration of the libido before the Catholic lent. Beginning the weekend before Lent, Carnaval is celebrated exhubrantly with parades, floats and dancing in the streets. Port towns such as Ensenada, La Paz, Mazatl??n and Veracruz are excellent places to watch Carnaval festivities. Dates change slightly as follows: 2008: Jan 31 - Feb 5; 2009: Feb 19-24; 2010: Feb 11-16.
    February 5: D??a de la Constituci??n an official holiday that commemorates Mexico's Constitution.
    February 24: Flag Day, This Mexican national holiday honors the Mexican flag.

March

March 19: St. Joseph's Day, D??a de San Jos??, a religious holiday best seen in Tamulin, San Luis Potosi.
    March 21: The Birthday of Benito Ju??rez, a famous Mexican president and national hero, this is an official Mexican holiday.

April

Semana Santa: Semana Santa is the holy week that ends the 40-day Lent period. This week includes Good Friday and Easter Sunday. It is Mexican custom to break confetti-filled eggs over the heads of friends and family.

May

May 1: Primero de Mayo is the Mexican national holiday that is equivalent to the U.S. Labor Day.
    May 3: Holy Cross Day D??a de la Santa Cruz, when construction workers decorate and mount crosses on unfinished buildings, followed by fireworks and picnics at the construction site.
    May 5: Cinco de Mayo is the Mexican national holiday that honors the Mexican victory over the French army at Puebla de los Angeles in 1862.
    May 10: Mother's Day, Due to the importance of the mother in Mexican culture, Mother's Day is an especially significant holiday.

June

June 1: Navy Day is an official Mexican holiday.
    June 24: Saint John the Baptist Day is celebrated with religious festivities, fairs, and popular jokes connected to getting dunked in water.
    June 29: Fiesta of Saint Peter and Saint Paul notable celebrations in Mexcaltit??n, Nayarit and Zaachila, Oaxaca.

September

September 1: Annual State of the Union, Though this date is an approximation, the President delivers the address in the autumn.
    September 16: Mexican Independence Day celebrates the day that Miguel Hidalgo delivered El Grito de Dolores, and announced the Mexican revolt against Spanish rule.

October

October 12: D??a de la Raza, This day celebrates Columbus' arrival to the Americas, and the historical origins of the Mexican race.

November

November 1&2: D??a de los Muertos is an important Mexican holiday that merges Pre-Columbian beliefs and modern Catholocism. Europe's All Saints' Day and the Aztec worship of the dead contribute to these two days that honor Mexico's dead.
    November 20: Mexican Revolution Day,This official Mexican holiday celebrates the Mexican Revolution of 1910.

December

December 12: D??a de Nuestra Se??ora de Guadalupe, or the day of the Virgin of Guadalupe is celebrated with a feast honoring Mexico's patron saint.
    December 16: Las Posadas celebrates Joseph and Mary's search for shelter in Bethlehem with candlelight processions that end at various nativity scenes. Las December 25: Navidad, Mexico celebrates the Christmas holiday.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    ??O-lah mEE A-mee-GOs!

i'm fortunate to be back in texas with my family right now. what to eat, what to eat...

[gritos]

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    what to eat, what to eat...

taco cabana, d'uh

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ??O-lah mEE A-mee-GOs!

i'm fortunate to be back in texas with my family right now. what to eat, what to eat...

[gritos]

Yo dunston... you gonna be playing here somewheres?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    YOU KNOW CHAD IS GOING TO GO "LOCO IN LA CA-BEE-ZA" TONIGHT AT CHEVY'S!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    ^^^ lol...

We're all down here cracking Tecates and shit. Wish I had some brown sess. Wait... no.

Viva Mexico!

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

sorry holmes I am in Miami. they may have a Chevy's branch out here though; I'll let you know what I can find.

Golden week? WTF?! lol

Golden week? WTF?! lol

today is a japanese national holiday called kodomo no hi (childrens day) and you better believe every cinco de mayo i was trying to angle a xmas present out my parents on this day.

sorry holmes I am in Miami. they may have a Chevy's branch out here though; I'll let you know what I can find.

YOU KNOW CHAD IS GOING TO "LOCO IN LA-BEE-ZA" AT THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY'S HALF-OFF CUBAN PULLED PORK SANDWHICH!

YOU KNOW CHAD IS GOING TO "LOCO IN LA-BEE-ZA" AT THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY'S HALF-OFF CUBAN PULLED PORK SANDWHICH!

dude, are you posting from mylatency's house drinking his kool-aid? you seem a mighty bit excited to be online today.

I pulled your girl and she and her friend and I made a sandwich.

(Actually I just had a Cuban sammie and it was delicious.)

STFU

Actually I just had a Cuban sammie and it HE was delicious.)

I thought where dating some dude named Jason?

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    School me on some Cinco de Mayo...

My 'study abroad,' in college was in Mexico, and they didn't get down with the 5th of May. Pretty much looked at it as some Profiriato Bullshit. Basically, the French didn't even show up to Puebla, and Diaz is claiming a victory by forfeit.

They all rode HARD for el Diez y Seis de Septiembre...Viva Mexico, Cabrones and all that. But, fuck a Cinco de Mayo.

This seems to mean a lot more to Americans, and seemingly, Mexicans IN America.

Is this perception correct, or a THING WHITE PEOPLE LIKE to think about their LOCAL COLLEGE ABROAD EXPERIENCE?

Golden week? WTF?! lol

today is a japanese national holiday called kodomo no hi (childrens day) and you better believe every cinco de mayo i was trying to angle a xmas present out my parents on this day.

Word. Children's day is a part of Golden Week on a whole.

Because my son (who's half-japanese) is 4, today is boy's day for him.

hah! yes. golden week. never travel in japan during golden week. its like buying popcorn at the movie theatre prices during this week.

hah! yes. golden week. never travel in japan during golden week. its like buying popcorn at the movie theatre prices during this week.

Actually this next coming week after Golden week ends is mad cheap. My wife and son are off to Japan on Saturday.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    School me on some Cinco de Mayo...

My 'study abroad,' in college was in Mexico, and they didn't get down with the 5th of May. Pretty much looked at it as some Profiriato Bullshit. Basically, the French didn't even show up to Puebla, and Diaz is claiming a victory by forfeit.

They all rode HARD for el Diez y Seis de Septiembre...Viva Mexico, Cabrones and all that. But, fuck a Cinco de Mayo.

This seems to mean a lot more to Americans, and seemingly, Mexicans IN America.

Is this perception correct, or a THING WHITE PEOPLE LIKE to think about their LOCAL COLLEGE ABROAD EXPERIENCE?

You're halfway on the right track as far as the mixed Mexican/American interest in the battle, but really ridiculously off-base with your fucks and bullshits.

Anyway...

http://www.vivacincodemayo.org/history.htm

The 5th of May is not Mexican Independence Day, but it should be! And Cinco de Mayo is not an American holiday, but it should be. Mexico declared its independence from mother Spain on midnight, the 15th of September, 1810. And it took 11 years before the first Spanish soldiers were told and forced to leave Mexico.

So, why Cinco de Mayo? And why should Americans savor this day as well? Because 4,000 Mexican soldiers smashed the French and traitor Mexican army of 8,000 at Puebla, Mexico, 100 miles east of Mexico City on the morning of May 5, 1862.

The French had landed in Mexico (along with Spanish and English troops) five months earlier on the pretext of collecting Mexican debts from the newly elected government of democratic President (and Indian) Benito Juarez. The English and Spanish quickly made deals and left. The French, however, had different ideas.

Under Emperor Napoleon III, who detested the United States, the French came to stay. They brought a Hapsburg prince with them to rule the new Mexican empire. His name was Maximilian; his wife, Carolota. Napoleon's French Army had not been defeated in 50 years, and it invaded Mexico with the finest modern equipment and with a newly reconstituted Foreign Legion. The French were not afraid of anyone, especially since the United States was embroiled in its own Civil War.

The French Army left the port of Vera Cruz to attack Mexico City to the west, as the French assumed that the Mexicans would give up should their capital fall to the enemy -- as European countries traditionally did.

Under the command of Texas-born General Zaragosa, (and the cavalry under the command of Colonel Porfirio Diaz, later to be Mexico's president and dictator), the Mexicans awaited. Brightly dressed French Dragoons led the enemy columns. The Mexican Army was less stylish.

General Zaragosa ordered Colonel Diaz to take his cavalry, the best in the world, out to the French flanks. In response, the French did a most stupid thing; they sent their cavalry off to chase Diaz and his men, who proceeded to butcher them. The remaining French infantrymen charged the Mexican defenders through sloppy mud from a thunderstorm and through hundreds of head of stampeding cattle stirred up by Indians armed only with machetes.

When the battle was over, many French were killed or wounded and their cavalry was being chased by Diaz' superb horsemen miles away. The Mexicans had won a great victory that kept Napoleon III from supplying the confederate rebels for another year, allowing the United States to build the greatest army the world had ever seen. This grand army smashed the Confederates at Gettysburg just 14 months after the battle of Puebla, essentially ending the Civil War.

Union forces were then rushed to the Texas/Mexican border under General Phil Sheridan, who made sure that the Mexicans got all the weapons and ammunition they needed to expel the French. American soldiers were discharged with their uniforms and rifles if they promised to join the Mexican Army to fight the French. The American Legion of Honor marched in the Victory Parade in Mexico, City.

It might be a historical stretch to credit the survival of the United States to those brave 4,000 Mexicans who faced an army twice as large in 1862. But who knows?

In gratitude, thousands of Mexicans crossed the border after Pearl Harbor to join the U.S. Armed Forces. As recently as the Persian Gulf War, Mexicans flooded American consulates with phone calls, trying to join up and fight another war for America.

Mexicans, you see, never forget who their friends are, and neither do Americans. That's why Cinco de Mayo is such a party -- A party that celebrates freedom and liberty. There are two ideals which Mexicans and Americans have fought shoulder to shoulder to protect, ever since the 5th of May, 1862. VIVA! el CINCO DE MAYO!!