where to buy records in LA

mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
funk/soul/rap/jazz/rock...lived here my whole life and the only reliable spot i know of is upon shop. other than that, its just amoeba & arons. whats really good with some other stores in the la area?

Comments

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    be on the lookout in September... The new storefront is happening.

If you are going to Rock the Bells, we'll have a booth there with more details...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Bagatelle in LBC & the PCC swap were the only things that got me to go to LA

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    no no rackords in LA:

Records I found in LA some other city thats not LA yesterday:

Sylvers[/b] "S/T" (Pride)

Tessie Hill[/b] "S/T" (ABC/Peacock) - sealed

Marion Brown[/b] "Sweet Earth Flying" (ABC)

Ozone[/b] "Walk On" (Motown)

Randy Weston & Langston Hughes[/b] "Uhuru Afrika" (Roulette)

Stezo[/b] "To The Max/ It's My Turn" (Fresh)

Poor Righteous Teachers[/b] "Rock Dis Funky Joint" (Profile)

Ed O.G.[/b] "I Gots To Have It/ Life Of AvKid in the Ghetto" (PWL)

LA FUCKING SUCKS!

• funk/soul/rap/jazz/rock...

lived here my whole life and the only reliable spot i know of is upon shop. other than that, its just amoeba & arons.

whats really good with some other stores in the la area?

You gotta hit everything my man. LA is good on the whole and there are records to come by but you gotta work. You might get lucky at any one spot. but as a whole it is great diggin.

Amoeba
    Arons
    Upon
    PCC
    Buena Park
    Rockaway
    Counterpoint
    Record Surplus
    Bagatelle
    Rhino
    Various Swaps

Dealers like
    AP(comes with it correctly)
    T.Sherman
    Wilbur
    Vague

I am sure there are others i am forgetting but oh well.
    I would skip the record collector unless you want fany stories to tell soul strut

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    be on the lookout in September... The new storefront is happening.

If you are going to Rock the Bells, we'll have a booth there with more details...

where's the new store going to be? will rock the bells be any good?

Pasadena comm college, right? i went there 2 summers ago. hot as fuck, i was surprised the records weren't melting on the spot. but there were some gems.

whats up with beat market?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Pasadena comm college, right? i went there 2 summers ago. hot as fuck, i was surprised the records weren't melting on the spot.

You got there too late.

• unkarufusunkarufus 104 Posts

Wilbur

dude with the storage way out in west covina? Definitely worth a visit. I pulled some decent electro off him..2 hours spent on quality and quantity merch.

The dealers are your best bet and also the shows/swaps. I pulled some around 15 decent hip-hop classics for cheap from the swap at the community college in Corona in one visit. Most of the sellers don't care..they just wanna move it..Mexican and Asian cats who buy up unpaid storage units and sell whatever junk is in there. Believe me...many a dj have lost their shit to this. And you can come up. And don't dress like a hipster or record nerd. Wear some beat up shoes and clothes and take lots of small bills. Poor dudes hook-up people who look broke like them.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

don't dress like a hipster or record nerd. Wear some beat up shoes and clothes and take lots of small bills. Poor dudes hook-up people who look broke like them.

best advice i've heard in years.

• whats up with beat market?

Closed around the first of the year. i came up with some good records there.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Wilbur

dude with the storage way out in west covina? Definitely worth a visit. I pulled some decent electro off him..2 hours spent on quality and quantity merch.

always one of my favorite dealers at the show.

real headz know the deal

3 for $10 like swap meet t-shirts

AP:[/b] HAWLLLLLLLUR!

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

real headz know the deal

3 for $15 like REAL swap meet t-shirts(pro clubs)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

real headz know the deal

3 for $15 like REAL swap meet t-shirts(pro clubs)

damn dude you fuckin with them upscale spots. Back in the day I used to be a fiend for the 5 for 10 shirts with Taz sporting the Kriss Kross style baseball jersey with an ice-grill.

Too many cholos rocked that Dopey t-shirt.

Finish that shit up with some Dickies or Ben Davis and a fade done over at the barberspot, Cholo Cuts and you was ready to get yourself a West Covina Heina