IF IT ROTATES - Let's Get Down!

SooksSooks 714 Posts
edited May 2008 in Announcements
After last week's delve into East German grooves, I thought we should get back to some straight up grooves - I originally intended this show to be oriented towards early 70s funk, but I was drawn to the later disco sounds - and I even slipped in some early 80s tracks. Highlights of this show - the amazing Nina Simone which shows how to really get down, 'the vulture' by Labi Siffre, which is just about everything you could wish for in a track - huge opening break, irresistable groove.. damn! There's a pair of tracks from 1981 - Conquest, and the Whispers (who continually impress me with their 80s material). The show finishes with a sweet track from Linda Tillery on the lesbian-founded Olivia label out of LA/Oakland. Dig it!IF IT ROTATES Nina Simone - Funkier Than a Mosquito's TweeterIce - Time Will TellLabi Siffre - The VultureNew York Community Choir - Express YourselfConquest - Give it to Me (If You Don't Mind)The Whispers - In The RawLinda Tillery - Freedom Time

Comments

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    bump

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Got some new (to me) Brazillian tracks that I'm excited to play - check the dope Fafa de Belem track, and marvel how she never stops singing! Orquestra e Coro give us a funky version of Helio Matheus' 'Kriola', and then we move into the Afro funk. Er, rather African-sounding funk, made by non-Africans. There's the Lafayette Afro Rock Band (American, recorded in France) with 'Oglenon', Nico Gomez (Belgian) with 'Ritual', and finally the 2006 sounds of Nomo (Ann Arbour) doing 'If You Want'. It only seemed right to close the show with some music genuinely from Africa - Ethiopia's Getatchew Mekurya doing 'Yegenet Muziqa'.

IF IT ROTATES

Fafa de Belem - Naturalmente
    Wando - Benedito e Julieta
    Orquestra e Coro - Kriola
    Lafayette Afro Rock Band - Oglenon
    Nico Gomez - Ritual
    Nomo - If You Want
    Getatchew Mekurya - Yegenet Muziqa