funky old timers (ellington)

generiquegenerique 625 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I especially like some tracks from Ellington's New Orleans Suite. Not so much the hammond track, but some others. A shame he didn't use flute more. Far East Suite has some rocking tracks too. There's this other one, it's called something like Up in Duke's workshop with a crazy hammond track. Woody Herman covered Hancock tracks later on. The one with the black raven on the cover is nice. The Raven Speaks. Gil Evans doing Jimi Hendrix I think is an okay record too. Any more old dudes getting into funk? It might have been a money thing but some really came to their own.

Comments

• Lionel Hampton[/b]

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    This dude that played the vibes.... For some reason I can't remember his name, but he is a classic jazz guy that put out some funky shit. (no, not monty).

fuck. its right on the tip of my tongue too (AYO).

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

dude was 137 in 1972

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    Lional Hampton[/b]

hahahah.... jinx. thats who i was thinking of!

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    He (Hampton) did a stupid record called Saturday Night Jazz Fever. by the way, he was the first artist who's concert was stopped by the police in Holland because of riotous crowd. They broke the house down. This was before rock&roll.

Anyone seen this or heard the music by Ellington? Did they just used some existing tracks?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Ellington's afro Eurasian Suite is hot also. Ellington wasn't much for cashing in on trends, these are where he was at.

Basie did some just short of funky things. I just recently listened to his Beatles one with some nice stuff including Come Together. In The Bag covers Green Onions and some other pop soul stuff. His record on Flying Dutchman, Afrique has some nice moments also. And lastly Jackie Wilson & Count Basie Manufacturers Of Soul, like In The Bag it is more swinging soul than funk, but worth a listen.

Louis Armstrong recorded The Creator Has A Masterplan.

Other Big Band leaders with funky cuts include Woody Hearman and Buddy Rich.

Dan

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Basie did some just short of funky things. I just recently listened to his Beatles one with some nice stuff including Come Together.
    Dan
    Hey Dan, that cover of Come Together is SICK.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Louis Armstrong recorded The Creator Has A Masterplan.

I don't know if I'd call that one "funky" though.

However, Woody Herman's version of "It's Your Thing" is the shit.