Help! I’m DJ’n a very WHITE wedding...

2»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    acctually, Billy Idol is the right idea- and yeah, the cha cha slide ? i dont think they'd ever heard of it?
    Basically, they probably wanna hear dave mathews and pearl jam, but i refuse to play that- but i dont wanna alienate the crowd??? No dipset (too gangsta), no M.I.A. (too hip) - maybe Prince and like Rock Lobster -

No, someone there WILL ask for the Cha Cha slide and that Miami Sound Machine 'Conga' jam. Bring 'em.

And instead of asking us, ask the couple. If they don't tell you anything, then yeah...ask us.

80s 80s 80s, but 70s disco hits too.

and bring some 90s country hits, someone will also demand "Friends in Low Places" or "Travis Tritt".

acctually the couple, asked me because they're kinda panicked - which made me PANIC!!!

Jokes aside, your suggestions are pretty good. So far I have:

70???s:
    I want you back- Jackson 5
    ABC - Jackson 5

80???s:
    White Wedding- Billy Idol
    Rock Lobster- B-52???s

90???s:
    "Smells Like Teen Spirit"- Nirvana
    Theme from Friends ??? The Rembrandts

Hip-hop ( for white folks):
    Funky Cold Medina- Tone Loc
    Who let the dogs out - 95 South

indeed. I hope you are being rewarded handsomely for this.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I just did a wedding a month or so ago. It was cool because it was the after party and they wanted mostly funk and hip hop, but I made sure I played the shit that they wanted. They being the bride and groom. You dont want to be the guy that fucked up the wedding. I made set lists and emailed them to the bride and groom for their approval. If you need to go get a bunch of random best of the 70's and 80's Cd's if you have a CD deck. One suggestion though would be Rappers Delight...ever since the wedding singer movie people freak on that track at weddings.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts

70???s:
    I want you back- Jackson 5
    ABC - Jackson 5

80???s:
    Rock Lobster- B-52???s

90???s:
    Theme from Friends ??? The Rembrandts

Who let the dogs out - 95 South

This is good. And by good I mean "good." Just hit repeat after this set.

I had to laugh at all these suggestion,but in reality they are PERFECT...

I'm now officially embarassed to be white.

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
    Michael Jackson's Off The Wall (Or is playing old Mike taboo yet?)

a homie of mine played PYT at a extremely christian wedding while he was still on trial. had those folks waving their hands in the air like the just dont care. just go through those compilation cds and see what was popular from those time periods. people like you and me might want to be suprised by music we have never heard before butthe people at the wedding will respond to things they know already.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Every time I get a wedding gig, I tell myself to buy the following but I can never bring myself to do it:

RHINO'S OHMYGOD! 80s BOX SET
    RHINO'S DISCO BOX SET
    RHINO'S FUNK BOX SET

You could DJ an entire wedding just off those, guaranteed.

One hint, though - bring some easygoing 40s big band and 50s jazz vocal and doo wop stuff for the grandparents. They're gonna ask you to "play something to dance to" but what they really mean is "play something very soft with no beat."

The old folks will also be telling you throughout the wedding to "turn the music down," so don't take it personally.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Boney M gets the job done!

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts

The theme from Friends will have them licking shots in the air.

That's my jam.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    You wanna rock Brandy by Looking Glass, I'm Alright by Loggins and Takin it to the Streets by the doobies. Then you got to mix it up and throw in Apollo Kids by Ghostface outa nowhere. And when some drunk white girl comes up to the DJ booth and is like, "I can't dance to this," you gotta say, "You need to listen to this. This is how America is livin under George Bush." Then act like you're gonna step out from the booth, but dont. Just say some hard Jamaican patios. After things simmer down, throw on September by Earth Wind and Fire and then that Oh What a Night. Follow that up with CIA by KRS and Zach De La Rocha. Next time said drunk white girl comes to the booth, just start repeating, "Don't test me." Proceed to do the robot dance.

• pasepase 89 Posts
    ABBA-Dancing Queen
    Rolling Stones- Start Me Up
    Madonna- Vogue or anything else.

Dont sleep though, there is always that one/two kids who listens to Hip Hop and asks for some other stuff just to prove he's "real" so I'd have the Bat-backup hardradiohit w/ me.

true. I dj' d a midwest wedding in february, man you better have "rocky top" whatever the fuck that is. I didn't have it and these motherfuckers got mad and sang it acapella through my headphones through the mic input. funniest shit ever. ABBA - dancing queen was the second most requested song. the fucked up thing was this was WHy? from anticon's brother's wedding and he's the drummer for a lot of those bands. so I thought it would be a pretty musical crowd. They wanted funk and soul. unfortunately most of The wedding party was the brides side who she informed me that her family was kind of "redneck" shit was crazy. I think I did a good job though....

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    this all great, y'know what i'm missing here? is some R.e.m, U2, Violent Femmes type jams...y'know alot of these gals went to college in the 80's - i'm forgetting that sound.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

Tin roof!..............................................
    .......................rusted

• I hate to say this, but you're gonna have to play "Kiss" by Prince.

Whats your beef with prince?

Don't get me wrong, I dig Prince.

But "Kiss" is one of those songs that has been played so much that I can barely stand hearing it anymore. Great song, but goddamn.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    my list so far....

60???s:
    Sex Machine ??? James Brown
    Under my thumb ??? Rolling Stones
    Little Red Corvette - Prince
    Kiss - Prince

70???s:

Super Freak - Rick James
    Staying Alive - Bee Gees
    YMCA - Village Peeps
    Don???t stop till you get enough - Michael Jackson
    ABBA-Dancing Queen
    Rolling Stones- Start Me Up
    Brandy - Looking Glass
    Takin it to the Streets - the doobies bros.
    Oh What a Night ??? Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons

80???s:

Angel is a centerfold ??? J. Giels Band
    Love Shack - B-52???s
    Girls Just Wanna Have Fun ??? Cyndi Lauper
    Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
    P.Y.T. - Michael Jackson
    Little Red Corvette - Prince
    Kiss ??? Prince
    I would die 4 U - Prince
    When Doves Cry - Prince
    GET INTO THE GROOVE ??? MADONNA
    Add it up ??? Violent Femmes
    In the name of love - U2

90???s:
    R.E.M - Stand
    Groove is in the Heart ??? Dee-Lite

Bust a Move ??? Young MC
    OPP ???Naughty By Nature
    Jump - Kriss kross
    Push It ??? Salt N??? Pepa
    Jump Around ??? House Of Pain
    Hey Ya ??? OutKast

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    When I mean white, I mean late 20's early 30's[/b] Charlottesville, VA whiteys...
    Can my fellow strutters help me out with a tracklist that has some jams from the 70's, 80's and today?

it's 2005, not 1986. everyone under the age of 35 listens to club hip hop when they wanna get down... honestly stockbrokers and accountants in boise probably know more about Fifty, Jay Z, Beyonce, and Outkast then i do...

Billboard 2004 Top 40 singles of the Year

that said, bring a couple Glen Miller and Sinatra songs for the grandparents, "Love Rollercoaster" by the Ohio Players and "Upside Down' by Diana Ross for the horny old aunts and "jumpin jack flash" for the one burnt out rock dude...

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    "one fine day" by The Chiffons...i think it relates to weddings somehow, im brown and i love that joint..too much.

u can get crazy and play "will u marry me" by paula abdul, who probably wrote that song with emilio estevez in mind and then he dumped her and drove her to depression, but they dont have to know that.

• You wanna rock Brandy by Looking Glass, I'm Alright by Loggins and Takin it to the Streets by the doobies. Then you got to mix it up and throw in Apollo Kids by Ghostface outa nowhere. And when some drunk white girl comes up to the DJ booth and is like, "I can't dance to this," you gotta say, "You need to listen to this. This is how America is livin under George Bush." Then act like you're gonna step out from the booth, but dont. Just say some hard Jamaican patios. After things simmer down, throw on September by Earth Wind and Fire and then that Oh What a Night. Follow that up with CIA by KRS and Zach De La Rocha. Next time said drunk white girl comes to the booth, just start repeating, "Don't test me." Proceed to do the robot dance.

What he said, plus liberal doses of Prince and New Order. If they don't dance, start shooting at their feet.

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    CHEAP TRICK-Surrender
    FLOCK OF SEAGULLS-I Ran
    RAMONES-Blitzkrieg Bop
    VAPORS-Turning Japanese
    GRAND FUNK RAILROAD-American Band
    ROD STEWART-Young Turks
    BEASTIE BOYS-Fight For Your Right

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    When I mean white, I mean late 20's early 30's[/b] Charlottesville, VA whiteys...
    Can my fellow strutters help me out with a tracklist that has some jams from the 70's, 80's and today?

it's 2005, not 1986. everyone under the age of 35 listens to club hip hop when they wanna get down... honestly stockbrokers and accountants in boise probably know more about Fifty, Jay Z, Beyonce, and Outkast then i do...

you're making faux_rillz kinda nervous. His world is slowly crumbling...

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    Vitamin said:
    You wanna rock Brandy by Looking Glass, I'm Alright by Loggins and Takin it to the Streets by the doobies. Then you got to mix it up and throw in Apollo Kids by Ghostface outa nowhere. And when some drunk white girl comes up to the DJ booth and is like, "I can't dance to this," you gotta say, "You need to listen to this. This is how America is livin under George Bush." Then act like you're gonna step out from the booth, but dont. Just say some hard Jamaican patios. After things simmer down, throw on September by Earth Wind and Fire and then that Oh What a Night. Follow that up with CIA by KRS and Zach De La Rocha. Next time said drunk white girl comes to the booth, just start repeating, "Don't test me." Proceed to do the robot dance.
    ^^^ still good advice