Boycott ebay on 1st May

ConcourseConcourse 26 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Is anyone else joining in the boycott on May 1st? It's to protest against the latest fees increases and changes to feedback. I've been selling quite a lot on there recently, but I've pulled everything this week & I won't be buying on there either. They know how pissed off everyone is, because they've quickly whipped in a 5p listing day. Scumbags!!

Comments

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I didn't know about this, but I'm down. I've been posting a ton lately and was planning to stop today or tomorrow anyway, so it's not much of a sacrifice for me, but I'll be doing it with gusto now.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    i am definitely[/b] joining the boycott. i've got 10 strata east joints i was going list this week on eBay but now i am putting them up on CR8DGRS.com

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    Ebay's fees are getting that bad, huh? I haven't sold in a while, but I may be forced to unload some $10-moderate raers if this job search doesn't shape up in a month or two

• kinjameskinjames 19 Posts
    I for one, welcome the changes to feedback! Now maybe some sellers will actually LEAVE some! I am sick and tired of these wack-ass noided out sellers witholding giving feedback. As a buyer, Once you have my money, in a timely fashion - POSITIVE me out! I've done my part, now do the right thing!
    Instead they are so afraid of getting negged that they will not give any feedback at all. I have never sold an item on the 'Bay, but have been a member for over a decade. I have a feedback rating of just under 200, all purchases, 100% positive. I'm one of the good guys out there - but my feedback should easily be double what it is, but sellers refuse to use the tool (and then bitch when someone neggs them) - I don't get it?!?

Peace
    King James

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I for one, welcome the changes to feedback! Now maybe some sellers will actually LEAVE some! I am sick and tired of these wack-ass noided out sellers witholding giving feedback. As a buyer, Once you have my money, in a timely fashion - POSITIVE me out! I've done my part, now do the right thing!
    Instead they are so afraid of getting negged that they will not give any feedback at all. I have never sold an item on the 'Bay, but have been a member for over a decade. I have a feedback rating of just under 200, all purchases, 100% positive. I'm one of the good guys out there - but my feedback should easily be double what it is, but sellers refuse to use the tool (and then bitch when someone neggs them) - I don't get it?!?

Peace
    King James

Great, all we have to look forward to now as sellers is getting a negative feedback because we didnt leave a positive feedback...bullshit. Think about it, someone can be happy with their item, happy with the shipping time, happy with the shipping cost but can leave you a negative because they get asshurt they didnt get a positive. If you are a buyer, why do you care, especially with the new feedback ratings? Feedback doesnt mean shit if you are just buying... you can have private feedback if you just buy.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    No protest here. I have some stuff up on the bay right now.
    The fees!! It is what it is!!
    And this whole boycott and not using ebay for a week stuff happened already and it is trite. The middle man always gets his cut. Theres ways around it all but why tackle it?

• kinjameskinjames 19 Posts
    Dude,

I dig that you do not like asshurt buyers negging for seemingly no reason. My point is this - once you have my money in hand, in a timely fashion, with no conditions, POSITIVE me out. That is the definition of a good selling experience - a buyer who actually pays, and does it on time w/out fuss. The 'Bay if full of jive-ass jokers who withhold dropping positive feedback because THEY might get ass-hurt and end up getting negged because they, mis-represented the product, packed it like shit, delayed in shipping for no reason, mis-lead the buyer, raped on shipping, etc. etc...

I was buying on Ebay when you were pooing yellow in your diapers - I've seen it all out there and I can say the scene has definitely shifted to a Mexican stand-off -where everyone refuses to give feedback because they're worried about getting sold out by the other side. Obviously that is no way to operate. Obviously they have taken steps to remedy this childish situation.
    I like the steps they have taken.

I will not Neg unless the asshole deserves it!

King James

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    That is the definition of a good selling experience

I have never sold an item on the 'Bay[/b]

You have no idea what the Definition
    of a good SELLING experience is.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    That is the definition of a good selling experience

I have never sold an item on the 'Bay[/b]

You have no idea what the Definition
    of a good SELLING experience is.

PLUS buyers can be fuckin assholes after "doing their part by paying" even when you ship the day of, or the day after. Buyers have more responsibilities than just paying.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I was buying on Ebay when you were pooing yellow in your diapers - I've seen it all out there

Absolutely fucking hilarious, claiming eBay seniority.

You better be an alias - nobody could be that much of a circus clown.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Grizzled eBaye veterans are not to be trifled with, SOI.

• man ebay gives me the shits its about 50% of my business, problem is there arnt good online alternatives to it for what i sell. Between paypal and ebay, they not only have a monopoly on the type of system they are running but i also cough up around 12 - 15 grand in fees each year for a product that is far crapper than ridiculously cheaper alternative out there. The thing is people trust ebay and paypal brand names, most people dont care for moneybookers or others alternatives. What can you do? Now I dont give buyers feedback until they give me feedback, too many times in the past, iv sent some expensive item registered/insured dude makes a claim thru paypal, I offer a refund if they return it - they never do - they leave unwarranted negative feedback. This almost never happens if you withold feedback until they have left it. Then theres that semi regular scam that is run from certain coutries where they buy a moderately xpensive item dont register it, make a claim, despite your item description clearly stating you dont take resposibilty for loss in transit. Paypal always rules in their favour. Thats seriously fucked for sellers.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I was buying on Ebay when you were pooing yellow in your diapers

youre funny dude, really funny

me:
    Member since: Jan-27-99 (I signed up for ebay when I was 27, do the math)

anyway, Ive seen some fucked up shit also...Ive had Frickin' buyers leave positive feedback, THEN do a paypal reversal claiming they didnt receive the record...yes my fault for not registering it, but THAT is some fucked up shit..MY ONLY RECOURSE was to leave negative feedback to help WARN OTHER SELLERS of his shadiness...now, however, you cant do this...explain to me how this new feedback is a good idea...you cant.

The feedback changes are a bad look and cant be justified. Its fucked up because since someone needs validation like a 12 year old girl, they can fuck up a good feedback rating someone has spent years building. It sucks.

I ask again, of you are just BUYING on ebay, with these new feedback changes, WHY DO YOU EVEN CARE about YOUR feedback? You are bullet proof now, why should it Frickin' matter?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    IMO.....Feedback should not be left until the transaction is 100% completed....that means the buyer receives the item AND is happy with it.

At that point the buyer should leave feedback and I, as a seller, will in turn do the same.

Just sending me payment does not automatically earn you a positive feedback.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

I ask again, of you are just BUYING on ebay, with these new feedback changes, WHY DO YOU EVEN CARE about YOUR feedback? You are bullet proof now, why should it Frickin' matter?

I seriously believe that, for some, the collection of ebay ranking points has taken over from their ordinary collecting addiction of records, mlp's etc etc

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

PLUS buyers can be fuckin assholes after "doing their part by paying" even when you ship the day of, or the day after. Buyers have more responsibilities than just paying.

Exactly. So much negative shit can and does happen after the buyer pays. If I leave positive feedback the day of payment, that leaves me exposed to a total extortion situation with regard to returning items and lost packages, nevermind the dreaded chargeback. I say this as a seller who has never left negative feedback for a buyer, despite a few dozen truly negative experiences, so obviously the "Mexican standoff" has always run both ways. The feedback system was certainly flawed and needed to be improved for the reasons ebay cited, but they should have found a more egalitarian remedy, not simply thrown all of the burden on the seller side, essentially making their workforce expendable.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    DON'T PLAY WITH MY MONEY

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I still have the option to leave negative feedback, even on transactions that ended yesterday.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I still have the option to leave negative feedback, even on transactions that ended yesterday.

Is that the fuss? No negative feedback for buyers?

And another question - was the May 1 Ebay Boycott effective? If so, by what measure?