I flew first class

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Holy shit, I have seen behind the curtain. And I liked it.During our 1 hour runway delay, the folks in coach were scolded into only getting water, and not asking for more. Meanwhile, I worked through 3 vodka-tonics, and a warmed bowl of cashews and pistachios.A woman spilled a coke on her sweatshirt; a stewardess spent 25 minutes and two cans of club soda cleaning out the stain.Not to mention the leg room. I'm a big guy- 6'3"/230, and I could cross my legs and read. And get loaded on free cocktails. Drunk out of REAL glasses!Shit was great. I'm a coach guy, and this was a surprise luxury on a business trip. Most of my flying for my life will be done with the herd in back. But, damn...I'm saving my miles, and I'm going for the upgrade.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah man, there really is no going back. I'm looking to do first class to Asia this September. For those long flights, that's when it's REALLY worth it.

• Yeah man, there really is no going back. I'm looking to do first class to Asia this September. For those long flights, that's when it's REALLY worth it.

Exactly. 2 hours to chicago? Fuck it.

5 hours from the Dominican Republic?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    An extra ??3000 on the price of a long haul plane ticket is not worth it unless work is paying. I don't even think Business is worth the price I have to pay.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    But, damn...I'm saving my miles, and I'm going for the upgrade.

Absolutely worth it for cross-country/intercontinental travel. Arrive refreshed. Or drunk.
    It kinda allows you to hit the ground running when you arrive, instead of groaning and cramped. That means the world when you're on business, or even more so when you're on vacation. Maximizes fun time.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    welcome to the club

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm gonna miss $300 or free 1st class tickets since my connect to the airlines retired last month.

Europe, Central America or Asia first class =

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    Europe first class on Virgin Atlantic[/b] =

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Flying first-class ruins you for air travel for ever. When my girl was seconded to Nashville for seven months at the end of 2001, part of her package was a return flight every month she was out there. I flew out for a couple of weeks that November and, unbeknownst to me until I reached the check-in desk, I'd been booked to fly via Virgin Atlantic's Upper Class service. It was the first time I'd got onto a plane and turned left in my life, and I've never enjoyed a flight as much before or since. Premium Economy upgrades just don't do it for me anymore.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I've never flown anything other than coach in my life. I aspire to one day fly first class.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at 17 hours in cattle class when I fly from San Francisco to Frankfurt.

• I didnt know there was a way to fly other than first class. WHat do they do if you aint in first class? throw you in the storage hold or some shit?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Flying first-class ruins you for air travel for ever. When my girl was seconded to Nashville for seven months at the end of 2001, part of her package was a return flight every month she was out there. I flew out for a couple of weeks that November and, unbeknownst to me until I reached the check-in desk, I'd been booked to fly via Virgin Atlantic's Upper Class service. It was the first time I'd got onto a plane and turned left in my life, and I've never enjoyed a flight as much before or since. Premium Economy upgrades just don't do it for me anymore.

I just flew Virgin Atlantic from Heathrow to New York 2 days ago. I was in Coach which I was led to assume was this great experience but it pretty much blew. Then I got a chance to check out Upper Class and I was like holy shit... that's the realest shit I've ever seen.

• One of the things that was so weird was just how you are treated. I mean, you aren't made to feel like an inconvenience, and the flight attendants OFFER things to you. After some turbulance, I asked for a scotch on the rocks. So, they brought one.

30 minutes later, when I was finished, rather than just taking it, the woman said, 'Another drink, sir?'

So, I did.

But, the point is- you aren't made to feel like an inconvenience. And, it was kinda nice.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I got randomly bumped up to the upper deck of a Qantas 747 on a Tahiti to Auckland flight and I had already had two drinks, eaten dinner and was comfortably asleep before anyone downstairs had even seen a flight attendant. I've loved Qantas ever since.

• Yeah man, there really is no going back. I'm looking to do first class to Asia this September. For those long flights, that's when it's REALLY worth it.

yup.

some shit from here to westbubblefuck illinois= you down fucked up.

To Japan

No doubt, I flew first class last time I went to HK...no comparison.

• Post deleted by SouthCrackalack

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i flew business class to japan which i think is somewhere between first class and 3rd class but im not sure. we got a gourmet bento box and hella minibar whiskeys and i had packed a couple pot brownies for the ride and scarfed them shits down. the only problem is i flew with one of them "teach engrish in japan" things and the whole upper deck was nothing but nerdy white frat rejects getting twisted on grey goose and one dude threw up on himself and a fight broke out. thank god i was high as fuck. but yeah, that shit was nice and the staff was pretty hot.

It is truly glorious. DC - Beijing business class a couple of years ago and then DC to Tanzania a couple of times. It makes such a difference, especially when you have to start working soon after you get off the plane.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I was reading this economic breakdown about 1st class and how the actual cost is pretty small on the part of the airline to provide those services. Rather, the point of pampering is simply to convince people to spend their money at a higher price point. In other words, airlines could break off coach passengers with some of the same amenities without a huge cost increase but it's denying those services that makes upgrading so attractive and thus: cha-ching.

Having flown business class to Asia - cotdamn, it does spoil you for life.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I was reading this economic breakdown about 1st class and how the actual cost is pretty small on the part of the airline to provide those services. Rather, the point of pampering is simply to convince people to spend their money at a higher price point. In other words, airlines could break off coach passengers with some of the same amenities without a huge cost increase but it's denying those services that makes upgrading so attractive and thus: cha-ching.

Exactly what I was about to write. Other than the leg room, first class doesn't cost airlines anything, really.

• I was reading this economic breakdown about 1st class and how the actual cost is pretty small on the part of the airline to provide those services. Rather, the point of pampering is simply to convince people to spend their money at a higher price point. In other words, airlines could break off coach passengers with some of the same amenities without a huge cost increase but it's denying those services that makes upgrading so attractive and thus: cha-ching.

Exactly what I was about to write. Other than the leg room, first class doesn't cost airlines anything, really.

Yes, that was readily apparent- what, three shooters of drink, and chicken in foil, and I'm raving about all the next day?

I honestly think the biggest cost, besides loss of seats due to leg room, is the extra help. I mean, the ratio is like 4:1 passengers/staff in first class, as opposed to 30:1 in coach.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Besides the cost of 8-10 booze nips.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah but run the math. The cost of a first class cabin isn't anywhere near what they charge people to fly in it.

I'm not mad at this, mind you. I just find it interesting how companies are able to motivate people to come up to their desired price point through means that have little to do with actual cost.

See: cost of organic food!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Dogs, the Virgin Atlantic "Upper Class"* has seats that recline 90 degrees to become beds. BEDS! As someone who pretty much exclusively travels for work (and travels a lot) that is HUGE.

* You got to love them calling it "Upper Class" hahah.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

True, but when you're 6'2", that extra space to stretch out your legs makes a huge difference. I hate being crammed into coach seating, but financially, I don't have much of a choice

But yeah, I don't give a crap about the other stuff.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Dogs, the Virgin Atlantic "Upper Class"* has seats that recline 90 degrees to become beds. BEDS! As someone who pretty much exclusively travels for work (and travels a lot) that is HUGE.

* You got to love them calling it "Upper Class" hahah.

Right? How very egalitarian.

• ^Are u crying?

• i flew first class from San Francisco to New York because o mistake has been made otherwise i never would have done it.

in my opinion flying first or business class is wasted money that i could have spend on some nice rekkidz!

• i got the best head of my life by a flight attendant in first class... all you gotta do is ask.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    first class is beneath me.

it's all about the private jet.