$643

RishanRishan 454 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
for a sealed original indy pressing of Showbiz and AG - 'Soul Clap/Party Groove' EP. fer chrissakes. Just watched this end yesterday on Ebay, and it must be at LEAST 3 times higher than any other copy has ever sold for. Now I know Sound Library (they were the sellers in this instance) and other pro's like AP get the best prices because they have great reputations, but this seems a little bit silly to me. Fair play if you have the money and want the record that badly, I hope it brings the buyer great joy. And well done Sound Library, they must be laughing.

Comments

• BlowFlyBlowFly 89 Posts
    $ > cents

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    more ridiculous than paying $100+ for the Soul Makossa LP (AP was the seller...) or $1200 for a manzel 7".

This stuff happens all the time.

• thats got damn ridiculous. I payed $55 for that record and I thought I lost my mind when I did that[/b]. That is exactly why I try to stay away from ebay as much as possible, especially for records. Too many people get sucked into bidding wars, and you know thats the same people who have no idea what diggin' is all about. They drive the price up and now everybody thinks that Soul Clap is a $600 record. I seen CD's[/b] of Kurious' 'A Constipated Monkey' go for like $60. Meanwhile, I found two copies at the local used CD spot out here for 7 bux each. People act like thay won't see stuff ever again.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

I'm willing to be that when they have copies of this available in the store, that they'll go for around 100.

People are foolish.

h

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Hi,

I'm willing to be that when they have copies of this available in the store, that they'll go for around 100.

People are foolish.

They're no fools tho. They probably have a few boxes in the basement and pull one out every 3 months. Like the siah & yeshua dapoed on fondle em.

"Oh I think I miiiiggghhhtt have ONE more copy... let me check.... you're in LUCK my friend..."

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Yeah I know.

'Say fellas, shall we put this up on the wall for $150-200, like it's been selling at for years and years, or sell it on Ebay for 3 times that?'

hmmmmnn, tough decision now.

I'd love to have a few boxes of that record

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I remember seeing an album they had on ebay & then calling the shop & getting a copy of the same lp for a fraction of the closing price. Ebay is crazy like that.

h

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Sorry man, I hope you don't think that sarcasm was directed at you . It totally wasn't. I'm in complete agreement and I've done exactly the same thing. I used to phone up when they first opened, buy stuff, get it shipped over to the UK, and it was STILL cheaper than it would be over here, or on Ebay. They used to have my whole want list back then, if only I could have afforded it .

• raredaveraredave 205 Posts
    OOF!

...didn't see this auction, but the OG pressing is ever so hard to find (although essentially it is no different to the $8 repress)...

this record was only ever sold out of the trunk of a car, pressings are real limited - not a record TSL get very often at all, and certainly not one stashed in the basement!

not a record they would sell any higher than $200-250 on the shelves, who can blame em for flipping it on the bay, the question you have to ask is, why would someone wanna shell out $630 more just to get the original?

I *was* a baller until this shit got so crazy, and I did drop $200 a couple of times - but rap raers are reaching new prices that are out of my financial reach.

RD

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I take it that this was the OG pressing on Show BIZ Records with the red label. That was scarce to begin with. It was impossible to get even in Philly when that shit came out.

How much are people paying for the Payday shit? I have a WLP of the Soul Clap/Party Groove 12".

• but rap raers are reaching new prices that are out of my financial reach.

thats because of gatdamn ebay! I've seen shit like Fast Life Remix and Rotten Apple go for $100-$200! I'ts not even about the records, sometimes people don't wanna get out bid, so the price gets jacked up and people are made to believe that a record like Rotten Apple is actually worth $200. SO next time they see it, they put the max to $300, and the whole cycle gets even worse. Sometimes you gotta get real and realize its just a piece of plastic, and I'm not spending almost half of what my rent is on a piece of plastic.

• raredaveraredave 205 Posts

Sometimes you gotta get real and realize its just a piece of plastic, and I'm not spending almost half of what my rent is on a piece of plastic.
    totally agree.

you would think that the price would go down as supply is met... i guess alotta these tracks are still being played and therefore new listeners are fiending for em, at least people are paying good money for good records... and not just on some muroedanivoryrandommaosloppywhitefastrap.

RD

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    I forget, but try thesoundlibrary, soundlibrary, or soundlibraryrecords. It must be one of those! There's bound to be a close match anyway.

Oh, and HAZ, I just re-read my post and I've got to apologise once again. It sounded like I was being a right cunt, and I didn't intend that in the slightest. No way at all, I was just showing malaise at Ebay and the current hip hop market. Sorry mate

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    yup, 90s hip-hop isn't collectible any more...

• Mr_DelmontMr_Delmont 279 Posts
    On a related note???has anybody ever contacted the second highest bidder on an auction that has gotten out of hand like this? I have once before with no luck. I know other people have with no luck either. I'm starting to wonder if the winner ever really pays up in circumstances.

I???m going to contact the second highest bidder on this auction and see what???s up. I???ll part with this shit for 4 bills???.maybe even 350.

We???ll see???.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Didn't know it was one of those red lable "showbiz" pressing. As R.Dizzle says, those do catch loot. 643.00 is still wild, though!!!! I've got an OG tape of the payday pressing to spare if anyone has 300.00 bucks.

Rishan, no need to be sorry at all. There's nothing in your posts that's sarcastic or anything. I'm just as surprised as you are to see this record fetch this kind of $$$. I'm willing to bet that you'll see a couple copies of this come up on the bay this week.

Peace

h

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    On a related note???has anybody ever contacted the second highest bidder on an auction that has gotten out of hand like this? I have once before with no luck. I know other people have with no luck either. I'm starting to wonder if the winner ever really pays up in circumstances.
    I???m going to contact the second highest bidder on this auction and see what???s up. I???ll part with this shit for 4 bills???.maybe even 350.
    We???ll see???.

i get contacted sometimes, and i've contacted some second highest bidders with luck. i think people are just weary of random sellers contacting them and trying to sell them stuff. since the whole transaction isn't done through ebay i can see why people would be weary.

• unkarufusunkarufus 104 Posts
    On a related note???has anybody ever contacted the second highest bidder on an auction that has gotten out of hand like this?

I did this with my Wax Poetics collection and 2 pairs of Lee Quinones 35th Anniv. Adidas. I did all of 'em as buy nows and all three times the buyers were the second or third highest bidders.