Monday finds

inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
picked up those 2 at a thrift today: looks pretty terd-y, but dieter reith on hammond is not that bad: http://www.sendspace.com/file/wsdmkesome more breaks on there.some other finds from the last couple of weeks: adam makowicz "unit", imho his best record. only rhodes and drums, some pretty nice tracks on there.niemen "katharsis" - classic. found some more niemen records, but they are currently at my neighbour for mpc use..pretty dope russian ost called "zodiac".. some weirdo moog shit on there.http://www.sendspace.com/file/9kynn8any infos? sheep? other one is some russian freejazz. very free. eva olmerova with karel velebny .. not as good as i thought it would be.sbb is classic. perigeo & soft machine, always nice. mailbox thingie.. dope record, but it has the wrong cover.and finally 2 nice thing NRR

Comments

• nice finds - -apart from that SBB - that's got to be their worst one!!

a few trades and a small road trip netted me these buggers today:

the DIONNE WARWICK has the awesome track "you can have him" on...
    i had the buy the "CREEPERS" ost as i only just bought the vhs from a charity shop .. some killer 80's GOBLIN with massive drum machines business.

before i came to my very lame night shift i was enjoying the GANDALF THE GREY .... love the cover. this is a bootleg from the 80's...

7's are:
    DAVE CLARKE FIVE - "maze of love" (fuzzy!!)
    CREDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL - "down on the corner" (killer)
    SUZI QUATRO - "can the can" (not too good - still can't find the one good Quatro track that someone played me ages ago... anyone?)

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    congrats on the Gandalf. he only pressed a few hunderd of those i think. i found mine about 9 years ago and never seen it since. saw it once before that up on the wall in bleeker bobs but it was exorbitantly priced of course. that was like '94 or something.

• sorry -- should have added -- its a bootleg (i think) from the mid 80's.

looks good and was cheap so i couldnt leave it behind... i would definately be making more of a fuss about it if i'd stumbled upon an OG!1

post ammended.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Last few days:

• what's that Jane like?? there's a copy in my local shop (the one without a listening post..)

kraut rock?

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    what's that Jane like?? there's a copy in my local shop (the one without a listening post..)

kraut rock?

More proggy than krauty but still pretty cool.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Some cheap ones:

Steely Dan- Countdown to Ecstacy
    Le Pamplemousse- Le Spank (Funky disco)
    Checkmates Ltd- Live
    Berlioz- Symphonie Fantastique

A "well-loved" but very much play-able OG James Brown for 3 bucks. Kinda cool.

And some free bongos from a friend.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    pretty dope russian ost called "zodiac".. some weirdo moog shit on there.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/9kynn8
    any infos? sheep?

other one is some russian freejazz. very free.

zodiac was the brainchild of one of the children of one of the A&R people at Melodia, they tried to blow them up, which is why their records got such a big pressing... that's their 3rd album, i believe lots of movie themes on it, probably their weakest. the best is "disco alliance" which is pretty chunky weird soviet disco jams, their 2nd album was cool too.

ganlein was a free jazz monster, but his albums are also in abundance and WAYYY too free for my liking, check his trio albums for the straighter ish...

peace.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

My snipe failed to execute on that copy that was up a few weeks ago so catching this one on a buy-it-now definitely made my day.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    dipped into the thrift store yesterday...

Nein. Kein Schallplatten in Deutchland.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i havent found a record in easily a month +...

but i did score this yesterday
    IMG src=http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v234/227/109/501292729/n501292729_471329_4356.jpg>

nice finds - -apart from that SBB - that's got to be their worst one!!

TRIPPIN'

Give it a closer listen. Granted it's not prog rock. But for Jazz/Fusion from Poland and drum based placebo raer, it's the Frickin' SHIZZLE mate.

Got mine from the fuckwit at High Fidelity records in Krakow the other week.... sucker...

b

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    nice finds - -apart from that SBB - that's got to be their worst one!!

TRIPPIN'

Give it a closer listen. Granted it's not prog rock. But for Jazz/Fusion from Poland and drum based placebo raer, it's the Frickin' SHIZZLE mate.

Got mine from the fuckwit at High Fidelity records in Krakow the other week.... sucker...

b

orlando marin is a dooope find.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    the best is "disco alliance" which is pretty chunky weird soviet disco jams,

Found that in a comic-shop a year or so ago. Posted about it but noone replied. I only ripped "pacific" off of that, and can't really remember how the rest is. Well worth it for that track, though!

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    today i found mokenstef's "he's mine" remix! man i almost lost my shit when i saw that cuz i been looking for that since forever. oh and a bunch of late 80s early 90s gangster rap randoms. but the mokenstef is what this is about.

e40 - capt save a ho (on sicwidit not jive)
    pooh man - funky as i wanna be
    scarface - money and the power
    richard&mimi farina - celebrations for a grey day
    francoise hardy - fh2
    prophesy & flo-etic ep
    above the law - black superman
    trocadero citron bleu ost

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Found some cheap/clean stuff in the real world today:

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    i havent found a record in easily a month +...

but i did score this yesterday
    IMG src=http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v234/227/109/501292729/n501292729_471329_4356.jpg>
    Ha ha, you're getting closer to a Vespa.......

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Found some cheap/clean stuff in the real world today:

A MAN OF THE PEOPLE

• pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts
    a few bits from the last few days:

nice to finally get the 'SIMON SOUND' for a pound or two - not an amazing record but 'drums away' is worth the money. and very pleased to get hold of a euro "Dawn of the dead" OST - i absolutley love the track "la caccia" and i sold my reissue a while back...

the 7's are:
    THE TREMELOES - "instant whip" (been after a clean copy for a while as the last two ive found were unplayable!!!)
    ILLES - "wo ist julia" (hungarian group singing in German - the b-side is a nice down-tempo flutey jawn)
    ELECTRA COMBO - "weiter weiter" (two non-album cuts from the same period as the one awesome album i have of theirs - sadly these are both fairly unexceptional)

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    player.

That Harvey Mandel is such a great record! Did he do many others beside that one and "The Snake"? I have both of those and like them a lot (Cristo Redentor being my absolute favorite) but I've never seen/heard of any other records...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    That Harvey Mandel is such a great record! Did he do many others beside that one and "The Snake"? I have both of those and like them a lot (Cristo Redentor being my absolute favorite) but I've never seen/heard of any other records...

Yeah, he's got a bunch - Games Guitars Play, Righteous, Baby Batter ...
    Baby Batter has some nice moments, as does Shangrenade, that one's
    actually pretty killer, and worth tracking down.

Nice! Weird, I've seen "the snake" loads of times, and obviously Cristo once, but never any of his other stuff. Cheers for the info.

• pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts
    "baby batter" shouldnt be too hard to find ... it has a pretty recognisable cover.

this "cristo..." one is pretty mediocre for me... lots of blues guitar noodling with some occassional nice bits. first track is lovely though. i prefer "baby batter"

-- wasn't he in Canned Heat or something?

the best is "disco alliance" which is pretty chunky weird soviet disco jams,

Found that in a comic-shop a year or so ago. Posted about it but noone replied. I only ripped "pacific" off of that, and can't really remember how the rest is. Well worth it for that track, though!

the cover is a billion times better than the music tho!

• Got a copy of Flower Travellin Band "Satori" in the post today... fuck yeah!!!!

(not my copy)

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    my day of planned travel was ripped to shreds by a cracked rim on my car

managed to make my way over to the Salvation Army (first time in a year) to find a dope 12" i never heard of on Correct

and an empty Z.Z. Hill sleeve...still containing his awesome press photo

however, i visited my man Earl. while he had no records for me, he did have an hour worth of stories including why scat music was started, how black men have rhythm and how he knew Raheem (who was mentioned in a Melle Mel song)...

he even offered to take me to Edenwald Projects to show me where he saw Raheem brought home from the hospital the day after he was born...

Earl is older like that!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    "baby batter" shouldnt be too hard to find ... it has a pretty recognisable cover.

this "cristo..." one is pretty mediocre for me... lots of blues guitar noodling with some occassional nice bits. first track is lovely though. i prefer "baby batter"

-- wasn't he in Canned Heat or something?
    Cristo is probably my fave by him, yeah he was in Canned Heat for a couple of years (from memory I think it's him on the Woodstock film with them??), his other well known spots have been with Charlie Musselwhite (briefly early on) & John Mayall (later for a couple of LPs). Great guitarist, one of the pioneers of two handed rock finger tapping, a few years prior to Van Halen. I don't know whether that's a good or bad thing though....