johnny hallyday mix

p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
what the fuck, i already posted this over at spermidermy and most of the pussywhipped loner folk crownd did not care, so perhaps the SS massive will... 70 minutes of "the french elvis"... session players include the Small Faces, Jimmy Page and Mick Jones (not the Clash one, the one related to yr boy Mark Ronson)... i swear this mix kicks ass and will bury all your Serge Gainsbourg mp3's... (jacques dutronc i will not talk shit about...)tracklist:les bras en croixc'est mon imagination (just my imagination)le penticier (house of the rising sun)le jeu que tu joues (with a girl like you)je crois qu'il me rend fou (such a fool for you)promenade dans la foret du brabantles coups (uptight) (live)mal (hush) je suis seul (what is soul) (live)absolument hyde parkpsychedelicvoyage au pas des vivantsje n'ai besoin de personnea tout casserriviere... ourve ton lit (live)hey joeamencheval d'acierje te veuxa tout casser (live)le feuson amour pour un jeu (strange shadows)l'amour d'ete (love me tender)

Comments

• someone post an all-Dutronc mix this instant!!

of, even better, an all-Nino Ferrer one would be

good mix this - -i enjoyed it whne i heard it on waxi

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    what the fuck, i already posted this over at spermidermy and most of the pussywhipped loner folk crownd did not care, so perhaps the SS massive will... 70 minutes of "the french elvis"... session players include the Small Faces, Jimmy Page and Mick Jones (not the Clash one, the one related to yr boy Mark Ronson)...

i swear this mix kicks ass and will bury all your Serge Gainsbourg mp3's... (jacques dutronc i will not talk shit about...)

Peasants! I really liked this mix but I've always been a bit of a fan His Hey Joe is pretty much my favourite version too. Post 1980 it's a game of seriously diminishing returns but there's more than enough quality before then.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    what the fuck, i already posted this over at spermidermy and most of the pussywhipped loner folk crownd did not care, so perhaps the SS massive will... 70 minutes of "the french elvis"... session players include the Small Faces, Jimmy Page and Mick Jones (not the Clash one, the one related to yr boy Mark Ronson)...

i swear this mix kicks ass and will bury all your Serge Gainsbourg mp3's... (jacques dutronc i will not talk shit about...)

Peasants! I really liked this mix but I've always been a bit of a fan His Hey Joe is pretty much my favourite version too. Post 1980 it's a game of seriously diminishing returns but there's more than enough quality before then.

huh

you raise good points...

as i bought a JH record from 73 and expected shit, as the internet told me he wnet country (as Eddy Mitchell did), yet i got a Stevie Wonder inspired funk jam (Le Fou, on my mix)... so, is 1980 the cutoff year? if so, totally believable, as there are people i respect way more than JH who have earlier cut-offs...

his Hey Joe is awesome... i remember hearing that Hendrix opened for him at the Olympia and he adapted Hendrix's version... makes sense as most 60's versions of Hey Joe are the Byrds/Love/Leaves super fast version, whereas JH has that slow Hendrix vibe, albeit acousticly...

someone post an all-Dutronc mix this instant!!

see, but Jacques Dutronc (who is prolly my alltime fav French singer, as i think he is the only man in the history of france who knows how to ROCK, like for real), only made good records for like 3-4 years (67-71)... whereas Johnny, while admitaly having a very high percentage of straight up cheeze, at least made good records for 10 years... Dutronc rocked out for like 3 years and then went straight chanson... there is almost no point making a Dutronc mix, as anyone who gives a fuck has a couple greatest hits records and then has all the good stuff.... but let's do it:

le responsable
    les cactus
    je un tigre de me guitarre
    Sur Une Nappe De Restaurant
    J'ai tout lu, tout vu, tout bu
    et moi et moi et moi
    L'augmentation
    Restons Francais Soyons Gaulois (my fav track by him)

i don't have my records near me, feel free to add on...

huh

you raise good points...

as i bought a JH record from 73 and expected shit, as the internet told me he wnet country (as Eddy Mitchell did), yet i got a Stevie Wonder inspired funk jam (Le Fou, on my mix)... so, is 1980 the cutoff year? if so, totally believable, as there are people i respect way more than JH who have earlier cut-offs...

his Hey Joe is awesome... i remember hearing that Hendrix opened for him at the Olymia and he adapted Hendrix's version... makes sense as most 60's versions of Hey Joe are the Byrds/Love/Leaves super fast version, whereas JH has that slow qHendrix vibe, albeit acousticly...

I think that's more or less the cut-off but I'm sure someone else will come up with some killer LP that proves me wrong. After 1980 his drugs and drinking and seem to have taken their toll and although there are a few flashes of his talent after that there's a lot of crap to sift through and not enough gems to make it worthwhile...

Yeah, I think Johnny was the first one to bring Jimi to Europe - didn't Hendrix actually play a few shows with him?... Ironically, Johnny's version of Hey Joe was released before Jimi's although he clearly took his inspiration from the Hendrix version since the Leaves and Tim Rose are very different takes.

Not sure if Johnny was being a bit naughty by rushing out his Hey Joe 45 or whether helped to lay the groundwork for the success of the Jimi version. Anyway, quite a tough sounding record and he also does a really good job reworking the lyrics.

Yeah, I think Johnny was the first one to bring Jimi to Europe - didn't Hendrix actually play a few shows with him?... Ironically, Johnny's version of Hey Joe was released before Jimi's although he clearly took his inspiration from the Hendrix version since the Leaves and Tim Rose are very different takes.

Not sure if Johnny was being a bit naughty by rushing out his Hey Joe 45 or whether helped to lay the groundwork for the success of the Jimi version. Anyway, quite a tough sounding record and he also does a really good job reworking the lyrics.

yeah, what i heard was that Hendrix opened for Johnny in Paris and Johnny heard Hey Joe and copped it...

are you sure Johnny's version came out first? if so, very interesting...

he's not really being "naughty", as back then their markets were totally separate... no one in the US or UK was checking for Johnny and the majority of France had no idea who Jimi Hendrix was...

re: the lyrics... this is where i wish i spoke french as johnny hallyday does so many english covers and i am always curious as to what he is saying...

Lyrics are good - Joe and his gun are gone and it's more a character portrait of a Parisian gangster living it large with his flash car and his wads of cash... I'll try and do a proper translation when I get a moment.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    a bit off topic, but as far as French rock goes, there are some Frenchies that knew how to rock, no just Jack D and Johnny H:
    from 1978

see, but Jacques Dutronc (who is prolly my alltime fav French singer, as i think he is the only man in the history of france who knows how to ROCK, like for real), only made good records for like 3-4 years (67-71)... whereas Johnny, while admitaly having a very high percentage of straight up cheeze, at least made good records for 10 years... Dutronc rocked out for like 3 years and then went straight chanson... there is almost no point making a Dutronc mix, as anyone who gives a fuck has a couple greatest hits records and then has all the good stuff.... but let's do it:

le responsable
    les cactus
    et moi et moi et moi
    L'augmentation

Dodecaphonie!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

le responsable
    les cactus
    et moi et moi et moi
    L'augmentation

Dodecaphonie!

A la queue les Yvelines

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    i think he is the only man in the history of france who knows how to ROCK, like for real

i think he is the only man in the history of france who knows how to ROCK, like for real

can't argue w/ that...

• someone post an all-Dutronc mix this instant!!

le responsable
    les cactus
    et moi et moi et moi
    L'augmentation

Dodecaphonie!

A la queue les Yvelines

"hippie hippie hoorah" (or whatever it's called)

'l'augmentation' is the one that gets most plays out from my dj bag...

Nino Ferrer kept on releasing good stuff for ages .... after all the monster ye-ye stuff was done he still blew minds with jazzy prog opuses!! cool guy.