longest youve left a record playin a runout groove

flatblackplasticflatblackplastic 1,209 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
4+ hours just now i was playin it before i left my house in a hurry. good thing it was a new 45.one time i was playin my gwen mccrae 90% 45 while i hopped in the shower right quick. when the song ended it started playing on the label....SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!man i hopped out of that shower so fast, soaking wet, to take it off, damn.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    overnight.

I miss auto-return.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    overnight.

I miss auto-return.

• not quite overnight for me...the beer in my lap that I was drinking when I passed out spilled at around 5am.

Turned off the record player, and moved to the bed.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Overnight deadwax many a time. I think I may need a new needle again after these years....

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Overnight deadwax many a time.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Overnight deadwax many a time. I think I may need a new needle again after these years....

...not to mention that when you let the needle just ride like that, sometimes it peels the edges of the label.

when the song ended it started playing on the label....SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Yeah, this is a nightmare sound. Reggae 45's are infamous.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I still want to buy a echoplex or space echo so when I'm really stoned, just switch it on and keep in the runout groove for hours. My entire collection will have a new life after that. Dub out everything.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Yup. But I do that on purpose to break in new needles.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    You guys know any records that do cool shit with the runout groove? Like looping a sound or something. I think the Spanky and our Gang - Without rhyme or reason b/w Anything you choose has a cool lil effect in the runout. Lemme know.

But yea... i'd say definately some overnights.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    You guys know any records that do cool shit with the runout groove? Like looping a sound or something. I think the Spanky and our Gang - Without rhyme or reason b/w Anything you choose has a cool lil effect in the runout. Lemme know.

What is the effect on the Spanky & Our Gang elpee? What are they doing?

As for others...

There is a runout groove effect on The Best Of B.B. King on ABC (reissued on MCA)...at the end of "Nobody Loves Me But My Mother," the last song on Side 2, B.B. King tells his producer, or somebody, "now what I want to know is, what are we gonna do?" Then somebody does what we'd now call a scratch mix on his voice, slowing down the pitch in the process - "do, do, do, DO DO DO DO DO DO DOOOOOOOOOOO..." By the time it's over, the needle is already past the runout and onto the label.

Also, "Your Love Is Like Nuclear Waste" by Tuff Darts had a nuclear-explosion sound effect ending the song and playing in the runout groove...it's on their self-titled Sire LP from (I think) 1978.

Sonic Youth have a locked groove on one of their albums,
    I think it's at the end of "Expressway To Your Skull"

... I'm trying to remember what 60's LP I was playing recently
    had a locked groove at the end of side 1 saying "turn the record
    over" or something ... I know these are vague answers, but my brain ...

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    Yea they just have this faint sound that gets looped on the locked groove. Its subtle... i remember it being louder. It just seems like soemthing people would be experimenting with.

Im mostly talking about locked grooves at the end.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    David Bromberg has one that says Debbie Boone over and over. I think I remember a Status Breaks (or have some effect on the run out.

Do people really "break in" needles?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I've left many a needle running overnight, also left some cue-ed up and sitting overnight as well.

The Minutemen "Double Nickels On The Dime" has car revving noises in all of the runout grooves.

• what do you know i did it again today for about 7+hours, same damn record too. i dont know whats wrong with me lately, ive forgotten my wallet at home 3 times in the past week and i seriously never do that shit.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    4+ hours just now
    i was playin it before i left my house in a hurry. good thing it was a new 45.
    one time i was playin my gwen mccrae 90% 45 while i hopped in the shower right quick. when the song ended it started playing on the label....SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
    man i hopped out of that shower so fast, soaking wet, to take it off, damn.

Playing on the label happened last sunday when I was listening to a new record I had just brought home. The needle hit the runout groove and immediately run onto the label. HORRIBLE,JUST HORRIBLE.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Until i started buying 45s other than JA ones, I thought all 45s played straight to the label, sometimes skipping ALL the grooves on the record.

I once went camping for a weekend and came home to a record spinning on the platter.

But on the locked groove related, i just picked up this really strange locked groove record with like 30 grooves per side, bunch of strange acid 303 loops and dirty wharehouse techno loops. Label: LOOPS AGAIN by serotonin records out of NY.

Love crazy loop records, just ordered the T&A B-more loop record. Excited for that.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

Yup. But I do that on purpose to break in new needles.

real tablist mo-fo's been burning in them 447's for years that way... i been doing it for every needle for the past 10 years...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    what you are really breaking in is the cantilever suspension, not the needle (or stylus)

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

Loud ass bell ringing in the locked groove.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    4 days...Thanksgiving 2006. Left on Wed and came back on Sunday to see a record still spinning...thanks to my home deck which has a balleur tonearm (SME), the needle was happily coasting and not moving one way or the other and making no sound

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Locked grooves for electronic music was big for a mintue. Sort of the hip hop battle record for techno music. I think a couple of hours is the longest i've left a needle running. Put on a recordon and left the house to do something and come back and been

• what you are really breaking in is the cantilever suspension, not the needle (or stylus)

Not to hijack, but yeah - hijack.

So "breaking in" concord style (aka Ortofon's) is totally useless?

Back to the grooves - I have this record (packed away, just moved) that has two separate "sides" of the album on one side. Depending on what groove at the very beginning of the record you start it on, there are two separate albums on the same record. Anyone else see this?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Back to the grooves - I have this record (packed away, just moved) that has two separate "sides" of the album on one side. Depending on what groove at the very beginning of the record you start it on, there are two separate albums on the same record. Anyone else see this?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    4+ hours just now
    i was playin it before i left my house in a hurry. good thing it was a new 45.
    one time i was playin my gwen mccrae 90% 45 while i hopped in the shower right quick. when the song ended it started playing on the label....SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
    man i hopped out of that shower so fast, soaking wet, to take it off, damn.

2 weeks while I went on holiday. We spent about an hour when we got home going: "Shhhh! Can you hear that wierd noise? Listen - there it is again!" New needle time.

• You guys know any records that do cool shit with the runout groove? Like looping a sound or something

Kool G Rap & Polo - It's A Demo....the vocal "it's a demo" is repeated in the runout at the end of the dub version.

Beatles - Sgt Pepper LP.....on the UK OG (don't know about US copies) there is a continous loop of some indecipherable chatter by all 4 Beatles.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I left my (almost) 3 year old son in the room dancing to his Beatles record and went downstairs.

I suddenly hear him screaming, bolt up the stairs and the needle had hit the run-out and coasted onto the label. Poor little man thought there was a monster coming to get him. He was terrified, and hung on to me like a baby koala for a good 10 minutes.

It took me 3 days before he would let me put another record on.

He is cool now though.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I left my (almost) 3 year old son in the room dancing to his Beatles record and went downstairs.

I suddenly hear him screaming, bolt up the stairs and the needle had hit the run-out and coasted onto the label. Poor little man thought there was a monster coming to get him. He was terrified, and hung on to me like a baby koala for a good 10 minutes.

It took me 3 days before he would let me put another record on.

He is cool now though.

That made me laugh - but poor little boy! Nothing makes me get up quicker than the roar of the needle hitting the label, though...

• must have been 8+ hours...
    that happens only when the runout groove is without noise.