Cops Aquitted of All Charges In Sean Bell Case

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Just coming across the wire now.Heartbreaking schitt.http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/26/nyregion/26BELL.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    fuck those pigs

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Bullshit.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    absolute bullshit.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    sayin...if i make i mistake i have to pay for that shit. cops make mistakes and it's just part of the job?

fuck that noise

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    Its an embarrassment to the large percentage of good police men and women out there in NY. and a pat on the back to the arrogant, rude, and shit dont stick police. Unfortunatley you rarely read the good stories. with that said this is truely fucked up.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I'm not even about to be one of those "fuck those pigs" type of dudes. But sayin, if I did something egregiously wrong I would have to pay the consequences (even if it was a true mistake). why do these cops continuously not have to face the consequences of their actions?

I know the answer already.

I'm not even about to be one of those "fuck those pigs" type of dudes. But sayin, if I did something egregiously wrong I would have to pay the consequences (even if it was a true mistake). why do these cops continuously not have to face the consequences of their actions?

fuck that, those dudes are pigs in the worst sense of the word. If you're not ready to be armed then don't be a cop! If you're out there in a vehicle that says "to protect and serve" you better be damned sure you're ready to do just that. And if you can do it to the best of your abilities then you succeed in being a police officer. If you decide to fuck with peoples lives cause you're scared then, to me, you're just a pig.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

fuck that, those dudes are pigs in the worst sense of the word.

yes, those cops are. i'm just saying i am not one of those "fuck all cops" type of dudes.

still, its Frickin' bullshit.

• Typical NYC "justice"...

yes, those cops are. i'm just saying i am not one of those "fuck all cops" type of dudes.

oh me either, I actually WANTED to BE a cop at one point. I have immense respect for a lot of those dudes, but living in Chicago and LA has definitely jaded me and I see that a lot of those guys are cops for the wrong reasons. These dudes are a shining example.

fuck them

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Wrong on so many levels (the shooting that is)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Is there a civil case pending?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    it's up in the air, but yes - all things being equal.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    is this verdict likely to cause "unrest" in some neighborhoods?

I'm safely cloistered in a midtown office high rise, so no I'm not shook.

just wondering how the skreets are going to react this warm weekend.

This might affect your planned field trip to Crown Heights!

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    This is really depressing, everyone at the office is totally shocked.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    This might affect your planned field trip to Crown Heights!

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    fuck those pigs

facts (some disputed, some not)

- Bell's crew was arguing with a dude outside the club about a dancer having sex with all of them. the guy they were arguing with was clutching his pocket, as if he was armed.

- the undercover cops were there on a sting operation related to the strip club, and had made 2 prior arrests.

- one of the undercover guys overheard someone in bell's crew say that they would make dude eat his gun, and then later, that they were gonna get their gun (this was corroborated by a witness).

- bell gets in his car with 2 of his boys. as he is about to start the car, an undercover guy is driven up to bell's car, hops out, takes out his gun and flashes his badge (this part is disputed by bell's crew).

- bell drives forward hitting the cop in the leg, and then jerks back, hitting an undercover police van.

- 2 undercover guys shoot twice, then 48 shots follow.

-----------------------

Keep in mind that this case was tried in front of a JUDGE, not a jury. I'm not saying that the cops acted appropriately or that they shouldn't be fired....but i wouldn't trade places with these dudes for a million dollars a year. that is some scary shit risking your life, and it seems to me, that while these deaths are tragic, it could just be an example of cops who were scared sh*tless (especially those 48 shots), and not a bunch of bully cops who just wanted to kill a few innocent people.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

That violent racism and corruption has long been an institutionalized[/b] tenet of American police forces all across the country should make anyone fully understand where a statement like FUCK ALL THESE PIGS comes from.

All these supposedly good cops who supposedly intend well are still turning a blind eye to some foul shit on the regular...believe that.

So yes, FUCK THEM TOO.

And good morning, people.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    NY1:

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=80881

???With this case, there are no winners, no losers,??? said Patrolman???s Benevolent Association president Pat Lynch in response to the verdict. ???We still have police officers that have to deal with the fact that a death was involved in their case.???

Lynch added that the union is "grateful" for the acquittals and that the verdict sends a clear message to police officers that if they are involved in a shooting, they can expect fairness in the courtroom.

reading this shit makes me want to give up.

Keep in mind that this case was tried in front of a JUDGE, not a jury.

One of their own.

I'm not saying that the cops acted appropriately or that they shouldn't be fired....but i wouldn't trade places with these dudes for a million dollars a year. that is some scary shit risking your life, and it seems to me, that while these deaths are tragic, it could just be an example of cops who were scared sh*tless (especially those 48 shots), and not a bunch of bully cops who just wanted to kill a few innocent people.

Scared shitless is running away or freezing up in nervous tremors.

Shooting someone 50 times is the act of a heartless band of bullies who train to handle any given problem with as much violence as legally possible and beyond.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

uhhh....or seeing a fellow cop shoot, knowing that he was checking on a group of dudes who were believed to be armed, and then just frantically firing off shots.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that bell and others didn't die needlessly, or as the result of the defendants' carelessness...but, imo, its not police brutality, more like police stupidity.

also, lets put things in perspective here, how many thousands of innocent people have we killed in Iraq in circumstances that make this case look like it was an agreed upon wild-west type duel?

how many thousands of innocent people have we killed in Iraq in circumstances that make this case look like it was an agreed upon wild-west type duel?

Huh?

Like people criticizing police shooting unarmed civilians are all hoo-banging for the military to kill Iraqis?

Why you feel the need to be an apologist here?

You gonna pull out the ol' "well, we didn't see what Rodney King did BEFORE the tape started rolling" excuse too?

uhhh....or seeing a fellow cop shoot, knowing that he was checking on a group of dudes who were believed to be armed, and then just frantically firing off shots.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that bell and others didn't die needlessly, or as the result of the defendants' carelessness...but, imo, its not police brutality, more like police stupidity.

also, lets put things in perspective here, how many thousands of innocent people have we killed in Iraq in circumstances that make this case look like it was an agreed upon wild-west type duel?

Sorry, but I just can't relate at all to the way that you are assuming the position to put an "aw shucks" spin on these cops acting just as they are trained to act.

Had their weapons been automatic and their "scared" minds got stuck on squeezing the trigger, that would even be one thing. But these assholes actually had to squeeze their triggers at least 50 seperate times.

It's clearly inexcusable.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

wow

wow

seriously

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    GOD FUCKIN DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b]

these assholes actually had to squeeze their triggers at least 50 seperate times.

It's clearly inexcusable.

I can't remember if it was this case or Diallo but wasn't one of the officers shown to have reloaded in order to continue firing?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

wow

Seriously

The basic argument is this: one patron of the bar and Bell were arguing (at 4am? drunk? SHOCK!) and patron A was clutching his pocket as if he had a gun (how exactly does one clutch his pocket as if he has a gun? Because I want to make sure that I'm NOT doing that)

Then, some witnesses overheard talk of a "gat" and when Bell and his crew left, the cops jumped to the conclusion that they were going to PULL A DRIVE-BY. Because, you know, that happens all the time in New York! Drive bys left and right you know.

I mean, if you cannot see the complete disregard for human life, for a careful appraisal of the situation, then I think you really have some issues.

In this city a Black man can't put his hands in his pockets, can't say anything that might be overheard or construed as a reference to a gun, let alone pull out a wallet, cell phone, keys, or anything else without risking a hail of bullets from "NYC's finest".

The main officer involved EMPTIED HIS CLIP AND RELOADED.

The cops here (and most other places) rightfully believe that they can just let loose on civilians because if they're right, they're heroes... and if they're wrong, they'll still walk.

Fuck this shit.