Serato V Final Scratch 2

2»

Comments

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    NI doing the software for Stanton = a big ass plus for me, as Rane isin't exactly known for thier programming skills, where NI is the undisputed champ for soft synth and processing engines in real time (not to mention kontakt, in my opinion the best software sampler out). Im just waiting to see which one works as an RTAS or AU plugin. Whoever gets it working first will get my hard earned cash for thier interface.

Serato developped the software, not Rane. They are a company in New Zealand.

BTW It doesn't sound like you've used either product.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Just bought one of these:

Are these gonna be our "crates" in the future??

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts

Actually...I have used both. I found the interface in Serato a little confusing at first, and that it occasionally got confused at the very beginning of certain samples I was cutting (if I was using this to cut up sounds for a live show it would make me want to leave blank space at the very beginning of each sound, maybe 1-2 seconds before each so that the time code could lock up before the sample). While I did notice a bit more latency in the FS software, it seemed really negligable to me, and neither of them really were as responsive as wax (same goes for the Numark CD turntable which we used extensively for a 3 month tour last fall). I would say you could get used to eaither setup quite quickly. From a programming end it just seems like the FS software was more intuitive, and had better features/layout. Anyways, next time Ill add my complete assessment. Few doods I know using this stuff: Amon Tobin uses/used Final Scratch prior to going with the 5.1 setup he is now using. Kid Koala and P-love are both using Serato with great success (P-Love used it on a record which we are mixing this week).

Anyways. Yes, I have used both, and there is my offcial .02. In regard to my prior statement, I think having RTAS or AU makes it an indispensable studio tool for any DJ. Being able to control a playback head in a recording/mixing environment would be THE SHIT for anyone who actually knows how to cut.

Sixtoo.

• pasepase 89 Posts
    I was using traktor/ Final Scratch and was used to the interface, and then I got Serato. I think with FS2 if you actually have Traktor and use it with FS2 you can use more functions i.e. effects and whatnot. But still, Serato is the way to go. It's so fucking clean. The new update is hot. the cue points are way hot. SHit is proper. I actually was hestitant about the Serato interface but it has won me over. The direction of the wave files don't bother me at all. The visual mixing shit is cheating but can be useful...

waddup Sixtoo!

paserock!

I didn't know about the edit points feature.
    sounds dope.
    how goes the music?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Do yourself a HUUUUUUGE favor and get Serato.
    Don't even think about FS, waaaay to many problems. The Rane support alone is worth the price.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Maybe I can run shit off of my iPod through Serato... I wonder.

THAT is the future. They have to figure out a way to make that work. Fuck bringing a laptop to a gig.

R.Doesn'tWantToBuyALaptop

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

PITCH/TUNE LOCK[/b]: FS2 has a pitch lock that allows one to change the tempo of the song without it changing the pitch. Serato doesn't have that.

Serato is adapting their Pitch & Time plug-in for Scratch Live = time stretching for your DJ sets!!

Serato also just put out a Studio version which lets you scratch your DAW files in the studio with your mouse or turntable. So it's basically a plug in.

Also keep in mind that FS2 is now FIREWIRE as opposed to USB, and it now has MIDI so you can trigger a keyboard or drum machine from your turntable. And now that it's using Traktor, is more stable that FS1.5

But Serato is still more stable, and is $60 cheaper, and has a time-stretching plug in on the way - such a good look.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

Anyways. Yes, I have used both, and there is my offcial .02. In regard to my prior statement, I think having RTAS or AU makes it an indispensable studio tool for any DJ. Being able to control a playback head in a recording/mixing environment would be THE SHIT for anyone who actually knows how to cut.

Sixtoo.

Scratch has been available as an RTAS plugin for about 2 years now. that was the original product. I have it installed in Protools on my comp and love it.

• pasepase 89 Posts
    paserock!

I didn't know about the edit points feature.
    sounds dope.
    how goes the music?

in the studio now...should not be on internet!

yeah the cue points are the sheeeeit!!!

doing cued drops never felt so good.

It's so much easier to organize mixes and whatnot.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

Actually...I have used both.

oops, sonned

Hey Daze:

How does that work then? just like, add the aux track in Protool, load up the program to the AUX and then bus the AUX to an Audio track? If so, I'm gonna go buy the shit tomorrow! Lemme know!

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Hey Daze:

How does that work then? just like, add the aux track in Protool, load up the program to the AUX and then bus the AUX to an Audio track? If so, I'm gonna go buy the shit tomorrow! Lemme know!

actually yeah that's exactly how it works...

you plug your tables directly into the interface and set the input to the aux tracks as those inputs. then you set the aux outs to whichever outs you want and send those to the line in on your mixer and then load up a sample and go to town.

I haven't tried it but I'm assuming you can split the signal from your tables and send one to the input for the digi and the other to the phono in and then you could switch back and forth when needed instead of re-plugging everything when you want to go to phono in.

keep in mind you'll probably need to get some female to female rca connectors to be able to plug in a pair of rca-1/4" cables. that's the cheapest and easiest way to go.