Serato V Final Scratch 2

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
So I've been using both of these programs for quite a while, but I actually don't own either one myself. I'm about to get it but I wantto pick the brains of those who are using it and see what people prefer.Serato seems to be quickly becoming the favorite for people. I'm not quite sure if I'd be so bold as to predict it becoming the "industry standard" but I definitely have several issues with it, and there are things that have me leaning towards Final Scratch 2.WAVE FILES[/b]: Serato's view of the file in WAVE format seems odd, for the simple fact that it's displayed as a vertical. Most programs always display it as horizontal, and I'm pretty much used to it. I don't have a huge problem with it like that, but still.FILE DISPLAY[/b]: Serato shows the file as the ring around the white cirlce standing for the turntable movement (see above.) The light gray is the remaining time and the dark gray is the elapsed time. However, FS2 shows the entire sound wave file, which I prefer so much more, and gives you an actual visual cue as to the song playing. I think this is highly superior. Serato shows the entire file as well, but it's so small.PITCH/TUNE LOCK[/b]: FS2 has a pitch lock that allows one to change the tempo of the song without it changing the pitch. Serato doesn't have that.LIVE CD IMPORT[/b]: It's my understanding that you cannot put a CD in your computer and play it through Serato while you're live. I know for a fact that FS2 has this option.SCREEN SPACE DISPLAY[/b]: I find that FS2 allocates it's use of screen space much better, where it's like a normal application and can be resized like any normal window, as opposed to Serato which takes over the entire screen of the computer by default.RECORDING[/b]: FS2 has a feature that allows one to record the entire set that's played through it as a WAV file. Come on, that's fucking hot.There's things about the Serato that I like better, such as the "prepare" feature, the size of the amp, and most importantly the fact that it's a RANE product as opposed to a VESTAX product.Sorry to start another Serato thread. I do want to hear what people have to say. And please don't direct me to the lames on the respective forums for these products.

Comments

• meshmesh 925 Posts

WAVE FILES[/b]: Serato's view of the file in WAVE format seems odd, for the simple fact that it's displayed as a vertical. Most programs always display it as horizontal, and I'm pretty much used to it. I don't have a huge problem with it like that, but still.

yeah, thats alittle weird, but i have gotten used to it.

FILE DISPLAY[/b]: Serato shows the file as the ring around the white cirlce standing for the turntable movement (see above.) The light gray is the remaining time and the dark gray is the elapsed time. However, FS2 shows the entire sound wave file, which I prefer so much more, and gives you an actual visual cue as to the song playing. I think this is highly superior. Serato shows the entire file as well, but it's so small.

FS2 gets the points in this dept.

PITCH/TUNE LOCK[/b]: FS2 has a pitch lock that allows one to change the tempo of the song without it changing the pitch. Serato doesn't have that.

again, i would like to have this in serato.

LIVE CD IMPORT[/b]: It's my understanding that you cannot put a CD in your computer and play it through Serato while you're live. I know for a fact that FS2 has this option.
    i have been able to do this in serato.

SCREEN SPACE DISPLAY[/b]: I find that FS2 allocates it's use of screen space much better, where it's like a normal application and can be resized like any normal window, as opposed to Serato which takes over the entire screen of the computer by default.
    kind of a pain in the ass, but you shouldnt be running anything else anyway. but in X, just hit F9 or whatever you have for that function and the screen will split.

RECORDING[/b]: FS2 has a feature that allows one to record the entire set that's played through it as a WAV file. Come on, that's fucking hot.
    i believe this is soon to be an update for serato.

There's things about the Serato that I like better, such as the "prepare" feature, the size of the amp, and most importantly the fact that it's a RANE product as opposed to a VESTAX product.

Sorry to start another Serato thread. I do want to hear what people have to say. And please don't direct me to the lames on the respective forums for these products.

i got serato because it was getting a lot of support from the serious DJs i know(not that many), whereas i had heard nothing but bad things about FS2.
    i use it mostly for a production/recording tool, but have used it out and i love it. good luck with whatever you go with.
    thats my 2??.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    based on the customer service stories i've heard regarding final scratch and the fact that they charge for software upgrades (!!!) aka bug fixes, i would never want to fuck with it. serato is always fixing stuff and you actually see highly requested community features added in the latest updates. i do believe that they're working on use of their pitch and time plugin for scratch live and different display options too.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    So it really could be a matter of just waiting for plugins/updates... hmmmm.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I wanna know what the latency is on FS2. I know that FS1 had a lag time of 40 milliseconds (forget scratching), whereas Serato's lag was only 6 milliseconds (undetectable to the human ear).

I'm repeating figures given to me by my audio engineering genius of a friend, so forgive me if I'm off here.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I wanna know what the latency is on FS2. I know that FS1 had a lag time of 40 milliseconds (forget scratching), whereas Serato's lag was only 6 milliseconds (undetectable to the human ear).

I'm repeating figures given to me by my audio engineering genius of a friend, so forgive me if I'm off here.

I've scratched on FS2 and there wasn't enough for me to detect. Sounded fine. Serato is great though.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Serato is great though.

i'm seriously still very overwhelmed by how great it is. i have not really taken it all in. little by little, and mostly when i show someone else who is not a dj. they freak out, then i freak out again. shit it is proper, and its running on a g3 iBook.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Mesh, what's your specs on your G3? I've been waiting on getting it for a while cause I want a new laptop, but I already own a iBook G3. It is older, but shit, if I can get up and running immediately I will.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Cosmo - congratulations! That is the move.

Serato seems to be quickly becoming the favorite for people.

This was my #1 reason for getting Serato instead of Final Scratch. Keep in mind that if you get Final Scratch, it's going to be a huge pain in the ass for you and me to dj together (and Crooked and Mike and Wes and Alain and on and on oand on). It will mean unplugging all the RCAs for one platform and plugging them all in for the other every time we switch off. Obviously if you get SSL you would have issues with playing with folls who have FSL, but for all intents and purposes Serato is Coke and Final Scratch is RC Cola. I know Scott has FSL and you play with him every week, but you and I have to travel together. This is sort of selfish reasoning on my part, obviously, but it is also a question of which is more practical. Just saying.

But actually I just had an idea - you can probably install software for both on your computer and run one or the other depending on which interface you want to use. I know that in the case of Serato, the software is free and the hardware is what you are really paying for. Let's look into that because if that worked you would be

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    I thought FS2 is STANTON ?

is it a Vestax product ?

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Mesh, what's your specs on your G3? I've been waiting on getting it for a while cause I want a new laptop, but I already own a iBook G3. It is older, but shit, if I can get up and running immediately I will.

700 mHz, 384 RAM. but yo, i dont running it for 6 hours straight though. its been awesome in the studio and a wedding did.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

is it a Vestax product ?

Yeah you are correct.

Ayres, if I can find a "copy" of Serato I'm going to install it into my powerbook ASAP.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    You can download Scratch Live from the Rane site.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

is it a Vestax product ?

Yeah you are correct.

Ayres, if I can find a "copy" of Serato I'm going to install it into my powerbook ASAP.

Um actually maybe not. I pulled out my laptop to check the specs and this shit isn't turning on. Damn.

So I pressed the ON button and nothing happened, and then it made a beeping noise and the little light on the front flashed a bunch of times and now nothing.

Oh well.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

LIVE CD IMPORT[/b]: It's my understanding that you cannot put a CD in your computer and play it through Serato while you're live. I know for a fact that FS2 has this option.

Mesh,

Mac or PC? And which version of the software are you running? I havn't been able to do this using a PC with Version 1.2 because that is what came with it. My computer is fast as hell so I know that isn't the problem.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

You can download it or use my install CD. Like I said they give it away and you don't need a serial or anything.

Um actually maybe not. I pulled out my laptop to check the specs and this shit isn't turning on. Damn.

is the battery dead?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I dunno. It's plugged in. I haven't turned it on for a long while though.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Okay, it's on.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

Mesh,

Mac or PC? And which version of the software are you running? I havn't been able to do this using a PC with Version 1.2 because that is what came with it. My computer is fast as hell so I know that isn't the problem.

mac, version 1.3. you cant do the little shift+left or right trick, you actually have to drag it to the circle. i just did it to make sure i wasnt making shit up.

and my computer aint fast as hell, so i know thats not the problem.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    have you tried submerging it in water and plugging it in? i heard that works

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

Mesh,

mac, version 1.3. you cant do the little shift+left or right trick, you actually have to drag it to the circle. i just did it to make sure i wasnt making shit up.

and my computer aint fast as hell, so i know thats not the problem.

ok maybe i'll download 1.3. i want to do those cue point buttons too.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You can download Scratch Live from the Rane site.

Brian, you want to point this out to me? Couldn't find it.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    cos.

the best thing about serato is stability. it is a lot less likely to freeze on you when you're in the middle of something. this point alone makes it the superior product.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Well I just got it but I don't have th einterface, meaning I can only DJ with it alongside one of YOU fuckers.

Okay, I hope my lil laptop can stand the strain.

This shit is bad, bro. My laptop is weak.

iBook PowerPC 750 (22.15)

500 MHz

320 MB memory

9.36 GB capacity

3.62 GB available.

Wow, that shit is WEEEAAAAKK.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I would have guessed that FS would have been better since its been out longer & had more time to eliminate bugs...I like the look of the Serato screen better. Gonna tinker with it on the weekend.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    c- I think I told you this earlier...........backup anything important on your ibook, move it to your tower through "target disk mode" (ie. hold "T" at the startup of your laptop, then hook it up to your tower through firewire as an external drive). Now you can zero out the entire drive and only install the things you need on it.

Alternatively, you can hold down "shift" during startup and that'll enable safe boot mode. This will disable any login items and non essential extensions.

And yes, use an external hard drive for your mp3's.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    c- I think I told you this earlier...........backup anything important on your ibook, move it to your tower through "target disk mode" (ie. hold "T" at the startup of your laptop, then hook it up to your tower through firewire as an external drive). Now you can zero out the entire drive and only install the things you need on it.

Alternatively, you can hold down "shift" during startup and that'll enable safe boot mode. This will disable any login items and non essential extensions.

And yes, use an external hard drive for your mp3's.

Yo bro, that's what I'm doing right now. Currently I've gotten rid of as much shit in my hard drive as possible. I left the following apps on: DVD Player, Image Capture, Internet Connect, iSync, iTunes, Mail, PodWorkd, Preview, QuickTime Player, Safari, SherlockSystem Preferences, Text Edit, Utilities (I don't know what's in there) and Windows Media Player - which I tried to delete but it gave me some shit about how it's locked.

Shit, I'll get rid of everything if I need to, but I know I need a hard drive. Maybe I can run shit off of my iPod through Serato... I wonder.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    you can unlock a file by going into the "get info" box. Highlight the item (windows media player) and hit apple key + "i", then change the "ownership & permissions".

using the ipod as a firewire drive can work as a temporary solution. Albeit they're not rated to last long term as a data drive, I certainly don't recommend it as a permanent solution.

another temporary solution is for you to burn several dvd's of just mp3's. That way you can take them to gigs w/ fronds who have either system, then just dump off the mp3's onto their comps for the night.

for good deals on external firewire drives keep an eye out at www.dealnews.com

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    gigs w/ fronds

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    NI doing the software for Stanton = a big ass plus for me, as Rane isin't exactly known for thier programming skills, where NI is the undisputed champ for soft synth and processing engines in real time (not to mention kontakt, in my opinion the best software sampler out). Im just waiting to see which one works as an RTAS or AU plugin. Whoever gets it working first will get my hard earned cash for thier interface.