MATERIAL ISSUE

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
yes i love this band. well intl pop overthrow to be exact.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Great band. Went to college with the drummer, Mike Zelenko, who is still in Chicago and plays with the Ladies & Gentlemen. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=5944415

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I had the CD years ago, when it was new. I didn't realize until now that the singer killed himself.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    what?!?

oh man really?

well, on the bright side, i like that at least someone acknowledges their supersweetness. ive been playing it and getting weird looks from everyone.

It's really funny, I had seen Materal Ish live and heard them on local radio (this was BEFORE they were signed to Mercury Records, when they were still in their "private press raer" stage, if you will). I had had a couple of classes with Zelenko when it slowly hit me who he was. We became fast friends and he even gave me a copy of the "Renee Remains The Same" single on their own Big Block label (same version as the one you hear on the International Pop Overthrow elpee). I haven't hollered at him in a minute, I should look him up.

It was interesting about Material Issue. The band never had that much of a following at Loyola University; the students were more into whatever was on the radio, so the whole 1980's "underground college rock" phenomenon passed them by. Sure enough, by the time Zelenko put aside his studies to tour w/the band, MTV was playing their video and all of a sudden everybody at school was raving about this groovy rad new band called Material Issue that came from nowhere. And they could have seen them play for peanuts at Batteries Not Included just a couple short years before.

• "Kim the Waitress," shreds.

SHREDS.

SHREDS

I had the CD years ago, when it was new. I didn't realize until now that the singer killed himself.

In Chicago, Jim Ellison's death was almost considered as important as Kurt Cobain's.

groovy! ask him if he knows anything about the spanish cover of "valerie loves me". i was at elysian park like prolly 2 or 3 years ago and some dudes were bumping a spanish version out their car and it was pretty awesome!

ooh bad timing. not groovy about dude dying. that is sad. groovy that u know the drummer or whoevers.