SD Strutters -What's cracking May 6th -10th ?

hermes1hermes1 109 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I'm going to be visiting a friend in SD and this person doesn't know much of what's going on. Weekly clubs, one-offs, whatever. Also, any recs on places to hear good jazz or latin music ?

Comments

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Sorry the jazz/latin scene is weak sauce in San Diego, unless when you say "latin" you mean Reggaeton/border music night.

What else you into? Hiphop? Big clubscene or more of the divey shit?

• hermes1hermes1 109 Posts
    nah not really into the reggaeton/border music vibe. i was thinking funk, soul, jazz, hip hop, afro beat, brazilian type shit. the big club hip hop scene is not really my thing. also the disco/ boogie shit im down with.

are there any weeklies that play this kinda stuff. im homies with willow/gaslamp and he told me that kind of stuff is rare in sd, but he hasn't lived there in years. but i was hoping some strutters may have a weekly that has cropped up. any help would be appreciated.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    [self plug]may 10th i will be playing records @ Livewire it's a monthly called the SDZoo [/self plug]

it's a good little neighborhood dive bar to get trashed in.

outside of the gaslamp district (read: big clubs) it's been hit and miss lately. it hasn't been the same since landlord jim's closed its doors.

a lot of people seem to like Bar Dynamite too. They occasionally have some good djs.

there's always a ton of shit going on down here outside the bar scene too. a decent starting point is: http://www.sandiegoreader.com/home/
    (don't read the articles though. ugh-inducing)

edit: good booze, nice place: Starlite

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Bar Dynamite has been around for some time, like Jim B said, people like it.

I've heard good things about Livewire too, plus it's around a bunch of other bars/restaurants.

You may also want to check out Air Conditioned. All of these places are around like 2 mile radius.

http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/places/air-conditioned/

south dakota funk ?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

edit: good booze, nice place: Starlite

cosign on Starlite but Tim Mays was hating on my oversize cap steeze last time I was in there, I guess I need to wear a dress shirt next time lulz