STEADY RECORDS

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I've been snatching up some seven inches on this label lately. What's the discography/how long have they been around? I don't really know much about this label what's the

Comments

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    If it's the same one out of New York, since the 70's reissuing reggae/traditional music usually issued elsewhere first. Stick to the LP's, cause the 45's bite.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Eddie Lovette, especially Boomerang

• If it's the same one out of New York, since the 70's reissuing reggae/traditional music usually issued elsewhere first. Stick to the LP's, cause the 45's bite.

I have a couple of excellent 45s, the Gaylettes 'Son of a Preacherman' and the Federalmen 'Soul Serenade'.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    Probably the only 2 decent 45's on the label. Frederalmen = studio musicians at Federal Recording Studio

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Probably the only 2 decent 45's on the label.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    I think I'm jaded from seeing all those terrible Pluto Shevrington, Eddie Lovette, Ernie Smith etc titles. You like their voices on that 7?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Hell yeah. I like how it sounds like Jamaican singers
    really trying to cut a souful girl group track, not a
    rock steady track, and ends up being somewhere in between.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'm impressed that evidently this was a US label issuing reggae that early (1970). "Too Experienced" by Eddie Lovette has long been my "jam," as they say.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm impressed that evidently this was a US label issuing reggae that early (1970).

Same here - and not only that they did it, but apparently there was a decent amount of releases (which I didn't start to see until recent years).

The couple of LP releases I've heard were VERY iffy, but the records advertised on the back covers had a good deal of legit reggae that I didn't know was being released domestically that early in the game...

The only one I own is the "Preacher Man" 45, which is great.

I'm impressed that evidently this was a US label issuing reggae that early (1970).

Same here - and not only that they did it, but apparently there was a decent amount of releases (which I didn't start to see until recent years).

The couple of LP releases I've heard were VERY iffy, but the records advertised on the back covers had a good deal of legit reggae that I didn't know was being released domestically that early in the game...

Yeah, their only real competition was Reggae Records, which was distributed by Flying Dutchman. BUT, they only had four albums total and used American musicians... ...so that puts Steady in the lead.

The only one I own is the "Preacher Man" 45, which is great.

I have the Eddie Lovette "Too Experienced" single, plus one other I can't remember (Ken Lazarus?). I've never seen any Steady albums.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    No competition from the thousands of Jamican singles released every week, which people in New York would have easy access to? There are also New York Tuff Gong releases from that time frame which are very sought after.

http://popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=290182078002

I'd stick with the Bob Andy "Too Experience".

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    This album and many other good LP's were issued on Steady

http://popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4045144592

No competition from the thousands of Jamican singles released every week, which people in New York would have easy access to?

I meant on AMERICAN labels.

Hell, Island Records didn't have a US branch yet, and sure, NYC had easy access to actual JA singles, but what about the other 49 states?