Arizona bans race-based organizations and teaching

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Just heard about this through some friends...this BETTER be overturned by the supreme court if it passes the legislature.All the other coverage of this is terrible, calling it a "ban on organization based on race" which is just superficial conservative terminology meant to obscure the reality that this would destroy organizations and departments that for many people make college worth going to in the first place.Truly despicable shoving this into a "homeland security" bill. F*CK I am mad and recruiters are coming tomorrow so lets see if I get arrested or not.LA VOZ DE AZTLANLos Angeles, Alta CaliforniaApril 17, 2008Arizona legislation will outlaw MEChA and Mexican-American StudiesThe Appropriations Committee of the Arizona House of Representativeshas approvedprovisions to a "Homeland Security" measure that would essentiallydestroy the Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan (MEChA) andMexican-American study programs in the state's public schools,colleges and universities.The anti-Mexican provisions to SB1108 were approved yesterday and thebill is now scheduled for a vote by the full House.The provisions would withhold funding to schools whose courses"denigrate American values and the teachings of European basedcivilization."One section of SB1108 would bar public schools, community colleges anduniversities from allowing organizations to operate on campus if it is"based in whole or in part on race-based criteria," a provision Rep.Russell Pearce said is aimed at MEChA.Pearce is a Republican and the Chairman of the AppropriationsCommittee out of Mesa, Arizona.According to Chairman Pearce, SB1108 would also bar teaching practicesthat "overtly encourage dissent from American values" such as RazaStudies at the Tucson Unified School District.In addition, SB1108 mandates the State Superintendent of PublicInstruction to confiscate books and teaching materials that are deemedanti-American.Chairman Pearce said some of the teaching materials amount to"sedition" by suggesting that the current border between the UnitedStates and Mexico disappear with LaRaza taking over the American Southwest.

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    un.f.ucking.believable... even for Arizona.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I think that this is merely posturing - as this bill has no shot in hell - for upcoming elections to rally the troops.

(i.e. "Jim Liberal voted AGAINST the Homeland Security Bill. Jim Liberal is wrong for Arizona and wrong for America")

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    maybe in montana.....BUT ARIZONA???

YO THIS CAN'T GET PASSED...I CAN'T BELIEVE IT MADE IT THIS FAR EVEN!!!

WTF?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Legally, I can't see how this language could sustain a First Amendment challenge: "The provisions would withhold funding to schools whose courses
    "denigrate American values and the teachings of European based
    civilization."

That said, this is Arizona. I wonder what size headache McCain is nursing. This can't help his campaign with swing voters.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    You better believe it. Arizona is famous for this stuff. This is the kind of thing that makes John McCain who he is.

Arizona has instituted harsh penalties for knowingly, or unknowingly, hiring an illegal alien. Since, until recently Arizona was part of Mexico, there are many native Arizonians finding getting hired very difficult and are leaving the state. Many employers are also having trouble finding qualified employees difficult and are leaving the state. Crops are not being harvested.

The last state, with strong support of Sen McCain, to make Martin Luther King's Birthday a holiday.

The list goes on and on.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    "Mexican" isn't a race; it's an ethnicity or a nationality. Therefore a Mexican-American study program is not race based. Case clooosed Arizona.

Button: excellent point. Latinos aren't listed as a "race" on the census so I'm not sure how this legislation could target MECHA.

African and Asian American student groups might be shook though!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Button: excellent point. Latinos aren't listed as a "race" on the census so I'm not sure how this legislation could target MECHA.

How about "Native Americans?"

Them too! Basically everyone EXCEPT for Latinos. Oh, the irony.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I wish there was an Arizona politician running for national office, trying to build bridges with minority communities, that we could take to task and have held responsible for this!

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    They should replace it with a Frickin' english class.

They already have English classes - and they used to be quite good, before the Republicans demolished our schools.

before the Republicans Teacher's Unions demolished our schools.

That's rich.

Well... the irony, that is. The school systems are totally bankrupt.

Since, until recently Arizona was part of Mexico,

Laser must be as old as John McCain.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    In addition, SB1108 mandates the State Superintendent of Public
    Instruction to confiscate books and teaching materials that are deemed
    anti-American.

Meanwhile this bill is as anti-american as it gets.

JESUS H CHRIST JOHN MCCAIN IS OLDER THAN VINYL.

John McCain is so old that when he was born, Obama's neighbor and donor William Ayers hadn't tried to kill anyone with a bomb yet.

Neither had the American government - they were still using cannonballs and muskets.

• Neither had the American government - they were still using cannonballs and muskets.

John McCain is so old that when he was born the flag pins that obama calls a "substitute for true ptriotism" had only 48 stars.

and Florida and Michigan weren't the missing states.

John McCain is so old that when asked why he didn't make Martin Luther King's birthday a holiday in Arizona, he said "well I think the Protestant reformation's important to learn about but I don't know if it's grounds for a national holiday."

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    John McCain is so old that when asked why he didn't make Martin Luther King's birthday a holiday in Arizona, he said "well I think the Protestant reformation's important to learn about but I don't know if it's grounds for a national holiday."

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    John McCain is so old that if he acted his age he'd be dead.

• John McCain is so old that if he acted his age he'd be dead.

shitty brazilian music

ignarint.

• john mccain is so old he still owes jesus a couple of leptons

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    john mccain is so old he still owes jesus a couple of leptons

^ John McCain is so old he voted against making Christmas a holiday.

i always deliver.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

I would argue that Afro-Americanism is simultaneously an ethnicity and a race.

Sorry Asians, looks like you're on your own.