Record Spots in South Florida

Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
What's up,In the middle of May I'll be in Delray Florida for a wedding. I'll have a lot of downtime and probably a rental car... Im looking for record stores or any good spots where records are sold.Delray is between Boca Raton and Boynton Beach. I think it's like 30-40 minutes from Ft Lauterdale and about an hour from Miami, so anywhere in South Florida is feasable. I mostly am interested in Disco, Soul, Reggae, and 80's Rap... Thanks.

Comments

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Check the archives dude. This post comes up every couple of months.

• Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts
    Check the archives dude. This post comes up every couple of months.

yeah i tried searching but couldn't find it... i'll give it another shot.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    isnt it too hot for records in Florida?

how do they not melt?

same goes for Arizona and ocassionally Texas and Nevada

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If you've recently won the Power Ball Lottery, inherited a fortune from a rich uncle or successfully robbed a Brinks Armored Truck I would highly recommend Banana's in St. Petersburg.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    isnt it too hot for records in Florida?

how do they not melt?

same goes for Arizona and ocassionally Texas and Nevada

We keep them in the shade.

DoubleR, if the archives don't turn anything up PM me.

If you've recently won the Power Ball Lottery, inherited a fortune from a rich uncle or successfully robbed a Brinks Armored Truck I would highly recommend Banana's in St. Petersburg.

http://www.gatewayusa.us/VRG/PfilesFL/FL_007.html

Damn this spot looks insane... But another link said the prices are reasonable:

The Goods
    Record buffs have long been coming here to beef up their collections. Take a trip down memory lane and rock 'n' roll all night long with KISS ... yup, they've got the original classic on vinyl. Or go to the oppposite end of the spectrum and give Bobby Vinton a spin for a paltry $2.

Drop $20 and walk away with between 5 - 10 albums. Not bad.

http://tampabay.citysearch.com/profile/2699584/st_petersburg_fl/banana_s_records_warehouse.html

Granted I'm not looking for Bobby Vinton or Kiss records, but are you sure this spot is expensive?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I was there last Summer......There is a big sign as you enter letting you know that NO records are priced until the owner prices them when you check out....even if it has a price tag, he's gonna "re-price" it before you buy it....

So I start digging and after I pull about 15 LP's I decide to go find out what kind of prices I'm dealing with....I bring up the stack and ask him to price them....he tells me it's gonna take some time so I go back to digging.

About 30 minutes later I go back to see how he's doing and he has post-it notes on each LP with prices.....first one is a rare Disco LP by a band Paradise and it's $7.00.....GREAT!!!......next one is an obscure folk LP and it's priced $92.50 .....then a sealed Peter Walker LP on Vanguard...$235.00......next two are obscure singer songwriter LP's and both are priced at $92.50.

Before I get through the entire stack I ask him how he's come up with these prices....he says it's an "average" between what he's found on GEMM and Music Stack......So I pick up the unknown folk LP and ask "This was on GEMM/Music Stack for $92.50??? "Oh, no" he explains.."If I can't find them at either site they are $92.50!!!

I spent about 5 hours and managed to find about 15 LP's that he didn't price ridiculously....and I bought a few of the $92.50 specials that were actually worth more.....the "Paradise" LP slipped through the cracks because he didn't think that there might be two bands by the same name.

The kicker was he had an LP that had a price tag of $450.00 on it but wouldn't sell it to me at ANY price....said he had to do more research.

Good Luck!!

I was there last Summer......There is a big sign as you enter letting you know that NO records are priced until the owner prices them when you check out....even if it has a price tag, he's gonna "re-price" it before you buy it....

So I start digging and after I pull about 15 LP's I decide to go find out what kind of prices I'm dealing with....I bring up the stack and ask him to price them....he tells me it's gonna take some time so I go back to digging.

About 30 minutes later I go back to see how he's doing and he has post-it notes on each LP with prices.....first one is a rare Disco LP by a band Paradise and it's $7.00.....GREAT!!!......next one is an obscure folk LP and it's priced $92.50 .....then a sealed Peter Walker LP on Vanguard...$235.00......next two are obscure singer songwriter LP's and both are priced at $92.50.

Before I get through the entire stack I ask him how he's come up with these prices....he says it's an "average" between what he's found on GEMM and Music Stack......So I pick up the unknown folk LP and ask "This was on GEMM/Music Stack for $92.50??? "Oh, no" he explains.."If I can't find them at either site they are $92.50!!!

I spent about 5 hours and managed to find about 15 LP's that he didn't price ridiculously....and I bought a few of the $92.50 specials that were actually worth more.....the "Paradise" LP slipped through the cracks because he didn't think that there might be two bands by the same name.

The kicker was he had an LP that had a price tag of $450.00 on it but wouldn't sell it to me at ANY price....said he had to do more research.

Good Luck!!

Thanks for writing this... I'm going to steer clear of that bullshit.

• just looking at the prices on their website I would steer clear of that place.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    i guess they own the building or something.. i can never understand how shops like that stay in business.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Good Luck!!

Here it is folks, a how-to guide on how to make your record store go under.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I didn't check the link, but Tampa is not South Florida (www.Tampabay...). It's the opposite coast (4 or 5 hour drive from where you were talking about).