if Inner Visions was private

showandtellshowandtell 97 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
and Stevie was some midwest unknown who pressed like 100 copies with the same art, then what happens?

Comments

• I think he probably would've gotten signed by a major.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    $3000

• fereal, right?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Mundane observation: I listened to Innervisions the other day and thought "It doesn't really get much better than this".

If it was private, I'd have the reissue.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Fulfillingness' First Finale >>> Innervisions

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    and Stevie was some midwest unknown who pressed like 100 copies with the same art, then what happens?

it would be as good as it always was and we'd be sitting around wondering why he didnt make it

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

the world would be "I just called to say I love you" free

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Fulfillingness' First Finale >>> Innervisions

No thread hijack!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Innervisions has literally been healing music for me these last few weeks.

I don't think I can say that about any other album.

- spidey

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I think he probably would've gotten signed by a major.

or...

• and Stevie was some midwest unknown who pressed like 100 copies with the same art, then what happens?

that's a decent song.

It's not as bad as people make it out to be.

• i think i can safely say i've played Innervisions more than any other LP i've ever owned.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Who would break it to the internet first?
    and when one finally made its way to ebay, who would be the first to win ?

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Who would break it to the internet first?
    and when one finally made its way to ebay, who would be the first to win ?

that's easy....Marcofunk!

• markus71markus71 937 Posts

Love the way is hammering away on those keys.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Someone asked me the other day to put together a mix cd of album tracks by Stevie they may be less familiar with and I ended up going through all his seventies output. I know the whole argument about who had the longest run of untouchable albums will not end anytime soon but, listening to them all again back to back, I was blown away anew at the development of themes throughout the work and the downright perfection of so much of the output.
    It still totally melts my mind to think how young he was when he put together these albums.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

that's a decent song.

...oh wait I'm sorry, does she have cancer?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

that's a decent song.

Agreed. It is every bit as good as McCartney's Silly Love Songs.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Let's take a look at part of the lyrics:

No summer's high
    No warm July
    No harvest moon to light one tender August night
    No autumn breeze
    No falling leaves
    Not even time for birds to fly to southern skies

Never seen a bird wearing a watch, so that line is basically bullshit. Who cares about the birds' time?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I concur.

Just ran that song through a lie detector. Turns out he was actually calling to borrow money but couldn't bring himself to ask.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    all of my inner visions are private. Get out of my head medicine man!

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

Then it fails to engage its culture in any widespread way, forfeiting a huge part of what makes Innervisions the thing it is, making the fact that it???s very scarce something that???s perhaps abstractly regettable to a certain core of collectors, but certainly not at all "tragic" in the sense that one might think. Put differently, if Innervisions was some private thing, if we didn???t share it like we do, then it wouldn???t really be Innervisions, would it? This is definitely one of those records that means so much to so many precisely because it means so much to so many. If it were known less, then I???m sure it would mean less, too. Dudes will argue this all day long--"Aw, that???s bullshit! This record is monumental and life-changing, and that would be true whether there were a hundred copies or a million!"--but I think they???re wrong. Or if not "wrong," exactly, then "right" only in the narrowest, most record-dude sense.

Back in the eighties, I used to get my hair cut at a place called "Innervisions." This was not made possible by Steveland Morris.