Your Top 10 Blue Notes:

13»

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The Phantom is awesome. It can run from $50-75. Totally worth it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    That's one that I was very happy to find a sealed 'rare groove' series 90s reish for $3 (that and Wilson's 'Love Bug', same deal).

These are nice records, but not really $50 nice.

I like those Rare Groove re-presses, they are usually super-cheap when you find them now, and I get some BN raers on vinyl for pennies...Blue Note did another set of reissues around the same time (mid-90's) of bop stuff that were high-end 180 gram textured-cover joints. I remember at the time finding them at the Tower Records near me, stashed on a shelf of CD box sets in the Jazz section, getting ignored - I think I bought their entire stock...I have Don Cherry "Symphony for Improvisers" and Dexter Gordon "Go" in that series, and they are very nice pressings, worth looking for.

• That's one that I was very happy to find a sealed 'rare groove' series 90s reish for $3 (that and Wilson's 'Love Bug', same deal).

These are nice records, but not really $50 nice.

I like those Rare Groove re-presses, they are usually super-cheap when you find them now, and I get some BN raers on vinyl for pennies...Blue Note did another set of reissues around the same time (mid-90's) of bop stuff that were high-end 180 gram textured-cover joints. I remember at the time finding them at the Tower Records near me, stashed on a shelf of CD box sets in the Jazz section, getting ignored - I think I bought their entire stock...I have Don Cherry "Symphony for Improvisers" and Dexter Gordon "Go" in that series, and they are very nice pressings, worth looking for.
    it's crazy to think about the amount of recorded material they collected over the years, from some of their brightest talents in their primes, and they never got around to releasing them till decades later. i wonder if there is still any unreleased blue note stuff from the 50's,60's, or early 70's?

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    Don't forget (if I didn't glaze pass it) Kenny Dorham's "Afro-Cuban" 1535

• oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts

I'm not much of a Blue Note dude, I like prestige and fantasy more.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

6. Reuben Wilson "Blue Mode"
    i heard Reynaldo
    likes paid out the ass for that one. And add "The Phantom" to my list, too. that record rules.
    It's only a lot of money if you are poor.

a. disgusting

b. it's a lot of money in the context of the record's actual value. I just sold a copy for $50 and thought I was getting away with highway robbery.
    50 is a lot for that lp in my opinion. i'd say about 30-40 for a minty copy

YEah I think 50 is a lot for that record. It wasn't a $50 record a couple years ago. I knocked it down to $45 for the customer who picked it up.

Still, a far cry from the ~$100 Young Allowance paid. Shit like that fucks up the game!

The Phantom! YES!!!

• nickjnickj 53 Posts

yeah, The Phantom is a great one. It's not usually given the accolades typically handed out to other classic Blues Noes by the people who write books about these sorts of things, but for my money it's a fantastic album that holds up. The sound is kind of mellow, Brazilian influenced, a little on the exotica side (title cut), but with this deep, darker vibe to it. Plus Bobby Hutcherson, of course. It's out there on cd if you don't want to drop the $50+, but I don't think it's ever gotten the high profile reissue treatment, which is a shame.

Christo Redentor isn't on it, though.

• Just a few that I haven't seen on this thread:

Both Vol. 1 & 2...here's 2:

There are many more...I'll add some more later