Moving Cross Country??? HHHEEEELLLPPPP

WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Anybody with some wisdom please do share.....might be going through with this in a few months (LA to NY) and want to know the most important pieces of info. The main piece of advice I'm after is on any CHEAP movers who are still reliable. I know there are still deals out there, at least that's what I'm told.So far, the main piece of "insider info" I've been given is to sell my plasma tv prior. Movers say insuring em is a bitch, as they're so fragile, and that in the long run it's just smarter to sell it and buy a new one on the other side.

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    You're moving to NYC? Oh shit...

The way I did it was with one of those mobile pod-container things. They drop it off at your house, you fill it up, and then they transport it to a storage facility where you're moving to. I found it to be much cheaper than other services... and I got to schmob my car all the way out to NY with stops in between.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    don't ship anything to new york via USPS. once it gets to NYC, they don't give a fuck up in there.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    talk to dstill808 about his experiences shipping records.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

The way I did it was with one of those mobile pod-container things. They drop it off at your house, you fill it up, and then they transport it to a storage facility where you're moving to. I found it to be much cheaper than other services... and I got to schmob my car all the way out to NY with stops in between.

That's a good idea - but Ijust looked into it and none of those companies service the area where I'm having all my stuff temporarily dropped (western mass). Too bad - gotta be way cheaper.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

those PODS people just quoted me $199/month for the rental of the actual unit. I was amped. Then they told me it would cost $4,000 to move it across the country. Is there another one of these that I should be looking into? I don't understand how people are using that shit. Rental people are quoting me around $1,700 to come move everything for me and drive the shit across the country. With PODS - the only thing they're doing is driving it across the country - I got to do all the loading - and it's more than twice as expensive. How the fuck are they staying in business?