Music Software Question

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Dear SoulStrut, I am thinking of getting my brother some music software, but know NOTHING about anything in that world. He's in an electro-y type band that uses Ableton. Some creative questioning on my part has revealed that Pro-Tools is not really good for what he does. I can't spend hundreds, so money is somewhat of an issue. Something that doesn't require too many add-ons for full usage pleasure is ideal, too. And he's on a PC. And oh yea - he has an MPC. I'm not sure if that means too much, but something that complements that, if that even makes sense, would be cool.I really appreciate any suggestions.Thank You.

Comments

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    if he uses ableton and has an mpc what else could you want to get him?
    ableton can do a lot if you master it, i guess you could get him some vsts?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    What are vsts?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Virtual Studio Technology
    synthesizer,effect plugins and audio editors etc.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I'd suggest a keyboard controller if he doesn't already own one.

M-Audio Axiom series maybe?

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    I use logic (mac software) and used to sync it with an mpc1000 via USB, but have since then stuck to strictly logic. It has an easy interface and gives me a professional sound without the cost/need of hardware (compressors, mixers, etc...)

Its great for a home studio on a budget.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Have you considered getting him a sample library?

Oh my gosh. I am already over my head. I think I might have to compile these things and just kill the surprise and show him this list and ask him what he wants!

If it's exactly what it sounds like, I'm not sure a sample library would be his thing as they are making the music/sequences themselves.

Is Logic only for a final mix? And does it come in a PC version?

What does a keyboard controller do?

If, like Grand Father said, with Ableton and an MPC, he sounds like he's set, I guess add-ons that will enhance his music-making ability might be the way to go? Yea?

Thank You so much everyone.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Software-based signal processing (effects) are always nice to have. That would be a nice gift. If there's a way for you to figure out what he has, and what he needs/wants, we could probably help with that. These can be expensive, but if you narrow down the choices it could be in your budget.

Getting him more programs might not help, unless you know what he would like to do. Like a mastering program, or a soft sampler. (A software-based version of what the MPC engine does. Kontakt, for example. But, if he's happy with the MPC...)

A keyboard controller is good if he doesn't have one. You basically hook it up through USB to Ableton and it allows you to do a lot of programming/playing/controlling of the sounds in the computer. It looks like a toy/mini keyboard:

IMO, this is a useful gift and also within the budget.

Perhaps if he has an older version of Ableton, you could offer to pay for an upgrade. Figure out if he's using the current version, (7 Suite) or not.

Another thought would be outboard (hardware, stand alone) effects/signal processor. There's a company called FMR Audio and they make a compressor called RNC (Really Nice Compressor). It's quite useful. I have 2. I could use 2 more. Your brother would probably like one. They are $200.

http://www.fmraudio.com/productspage.htm

They also make a decent mic pre (the pre-amplifier you plug a microphone into before it gets recorded). If he records using microphones this might be helpful as well.

Microphones are always a nice gift. Depending on what you wanted to spend, and what he would use it for, I could help you pick one.

Do a little recon and let us help you. Feel free to call me.

Oh, p.s. I have a friend who is sponsored by Ableton and he visited the Ableton lab and the development technicians showed him what they're developing for future updates... Basically, hooking electrodes to your head and just thinking about music, then Ableton translates that to MIDI. Creepy! My friend said it scared him a little. Imagine your brother all hooked up to wires someday just dreaming his music to life... wtf?

#8450 why you rule. Thanks for all of that.

Yea, I think because I know so little, the best route is to just ask him.The compressor sounds good...and apt for what they do.

Oh, p.s. I have a friend who is sponsored by Ableton and he visited the Ableton lab and the development technicians showed him what they're developing for future updates... Basically, hooking electrodes to your head and just thinking about music, then Ableton translates that to MIDI.

How will they tell the difference between music thoughts and murderous thoughts in people's heads?

It's like David Cronenberg meets these guys

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    How will they tell the difference between music thoughts and murderous thoughts in people's heads?

It's like David Cronenberg meets these guys

Funny that you say that. My friend not only worked on those early Mobb Deep records but he makes horror movie music as well as his "normal" music. He was like, "so you mean all I have to do is think about killing people and those thoughts will be music?"

Another idea, if you trying to figure out one thing for your brother is too tricky, you could build a thoughtful package. A collection of preventive care, necessity items (those things most hate buying), little things, etc.

* New styli
    * Slipmats
    * Patch cables (Never a shortage of cables)
    * New headphones
    * Spool of CD-Rs
    * Audio Hi-Fi Handbook (or a similarly suited book to his taste)
    * Mic stand
    * Artist tape (for mixing board)
    * New suds solution for the fog machine, etc.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    maybe some FX unit, not gonna break the bank and always useful on a live tip.

These any good? I had the OG Kaos Pad which i sold for some reason.