Hopkins Vs Calzaghe

JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Predictions for the fight?Calzaghe's a decent boxer with good technical ability while Hopkins has gone beyond being a veteran at 43. I have to (and will) be putting money on the Welshman to come good. I also plan to stagger myself better for this one than the Mayweather V Hatton fight and not start drinking at 1pm the afternoon before.

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    the boyo, with a stoppage (but not k.o.) late in the fight, 10th+

can't see him imploding like hatton

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Hopkins is ten years past his prime.....give me Calzaghe

• LawrenceLawrence 125 Posts
    Calzaghe Unanimous points victory! "That my lock of the week"

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Hopkins might be 43, but Calzaghe doesn't have the power to do him damage. Really the only factor Hopkins has against him is age, he's beaten plenty of people who are way better than Calzaghe, who really has only fought a bunch no names.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Hopkins might be 43, but Calzaghe doesn't have the power to do him damage. Really the only factor Hopkins has against him is age, he's beaten plenty of people who are way better than Calzaghe, who really has only fought a bunch no names.

Hopkins may have beaten some big names but when was his last major victory? Three/four years ago? Just because someone was a great fighter in their thirties doesn't mean that they are still a great fighter when they're near their mid fourties.

Calzaghe has been undefeated champion for over ten years, even with any level of vetting you don't reach that kind of target without being a great boxer. He'll also be fighting at a weight more suited to him for the first time as well.

Hopkins may have beaten some big names but when was his last major victory? Three/four years ago?

He fought and beat Winky Wright last year, the year before that he fought and beat Antonio Tarver, the year before that he fought and beat Jermain Taylor.

Calzaghe has been undefeated champion for over ten years, even with any level of vetting you don't reach that kind of target without being a great boxer. He'll also be fighting at a weight more suited to him for the first time as well.

Maybe the dudes has some talent, but he's fought a bunch of chumps.

He fought and beat Winky Wright last year, the year before that he fought and beat Antonio Tarver, the year before that he fought and beat Jermain Taylor.

These aren't bad boxers but they're hardly near the quality of someone like Da Hoya IMHO.

The way I see it, Calzaghe has fought everyone put his way. Everyone wanted to see him fight Lacy so he did and totally outboxed him. He was then accused of taking the fight to avoid going up against Kessler. He then went up against Kessler and destroyed him too. He's been chasing Hopkins for a match for god knows how long and I think he's going to win this too.
    I don't think all his opponents have been world beaters but you have to take into account that some of his opponents had rock solid credentials before the matches and Calzaghe's humiliation of them may come down to his skill as much as any overflated hype of their abilities.

I guess we'll find out saturday night anyway.

These aren't bad boxers but they're hardly near the quality of someone like Da Hoya IMHO.

Bernard Hopkins KO'd De La Hoya in 2004!!!! But I was wrong in saying he beat Jermain Taylor, he lost those fights.

The way I see it, Calzaghe has fought everyone put his way. Everyone wanted to see him fight Lacy so he did and totally outboxed him. He was then accused of taking the fight to avoid going up against Kessler. He then went up against Kessler and destroyed him too. He's been chasing Hopkins for a match for god knows how long and I think he's going to win this too.
    I don't think all his opponents have been world beaters but you have to take into account that some of his opponents had rock solid credentials before the matches and Calzaghe's humiliation of them may come down to his skill as much as any overflated hype of their abilities.

I guess we'll find out saturday night anyway.

I'll give you that, Hopkins didn't want to go to Wales and finally Joe said fuck it I'll go to Vegas. That's a brave thing to do and I'll give him points for confidence. I guess we will find out tomorrow night.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

Hopkins didn't want to go to Wales

he don't know what he's missing

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Hopkins is ten years past his prime.....give me Calzaghe

Bernard Hopkins KO'd De La Hoya in 2004!!!!

Yeah I should have clarified that this was the last really decent fight I thought Hopkins had when I was talking about 4 years ago.

Well, I feel less than overwhelmed by Calzaghe's performance. I was hoping he'd wuin in style but think he did just enough to shade it (though not by as much as at least one judge gave it) - probably winning by one, or the maximum, two rounds.

Credit to Hopkins though, can't believe the shape he was in and, as mentioned originally, if he'd been a few years younger and still had the stamina then he would have taken the match.

Next up, Jones Jr..................