Recommend Some Good Digital Dancehall Reggae

high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I thought I used to hate this shit. If i heard a drum machine or synth I was out. But lately I've been feeling some of these. Don't get me wrong, when they're bad, they're really bad and most still sound like garbage to me but occasionally I hear one that makes me want to reconsider my stance on the issue.Help me out. What's the cream of the crop here? What're the essential tunes?

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    look for the records with a wet ass in a thong on the cover.....I think

• are you talkin old school or recent?

Sadly, I only know the real essentials from the old school, but I'd definitely like to expand my collection of this stuff.

MUST HAVE

Wayne Smith - Under Mi Sleng Teng
    Johnny Osbourne - Buddy Bye
    Nardo Ranks - Burrup
    Yellowman - Zungguzung
    Eek-A-Mouse - Wa-Do-Dem
    Cutty Ranks - limb by limb
    Barrington Levy - here I come & Under Mi Sensi
    Chaka Demus & Pliers - Murder She wrote

also, I've also wanted to know who did the dancehall version of Toots "Bam Bam"? Not Sister Nancy, it's on the same riddim as Murder She Wrote (I think).

• Haha, this thread pops up here every few months, mainly because the vast majority of posters "hate that new dancehall crap" (instead of "disconnected," one might say "dem a plug out"). Here's the deal: roughly 100 singles are released every week in Jamaica. "Essential" is a very relative term, as shelf lives vary greatly.

Are there specific eras you're looking for? VP put out an 8-disc set of King Tubby's stuff last year. If you don't like that, you don't like dancehall at all. There are lots of re-licks of older riddims these days, especially stuff from the early 90s. I have a few mixes available at www.italselection.com (under SOUNDS), but it's all stuff from the last few years. Gimme a little more info and I may be able to help you out (you are from Texas, after all).

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Haha, this thread pops up here every few months, mainly because the vast majority of posters "hate that new dancehall crap" (instead of "disconnected," one might say "dem a plug out").

LoL indeed. If people came on here talking in the same way about hip hop, all hell would brake out.

This place has seemingly endless amounts of mixes..

http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/mdread/index.cgi?board=album

ranging from vintage dub, to more modern Jamaican roots music. Not really awash with digital dancehall, but thought I'd share it anyway.

• The boys from Firehouse has some nice mixes on their site:

http://www.firehousesound.dk/

I think most of them has been posted on here before though.

Peace,

Dress

• This place has seemingly endless amounts of mixes..

Thanks for the link.

By the way, my wife saw your avatar the other night and laughed out loud. "Oh my god, it's Buster!"

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    i feel like you might find some good music researching the following (not necessarily related)

artist: conroy smith

riddim: run down the world

label: youth promotion

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    hogg, any idea if that mix you posted a few months back of newer stuff is still active? i think i neglected to DL the first time around...

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

Nardo Ranks - Burrup
    Yellowman - Zungguzung
    Eek-A-Mouse - Wa-Do-Dem

Yah, I know/have most of the above and wouldn't call them digital, just dancehall... Chaka Demus is the right era but doesn't have that digital feel... and plus I hate that song cause it reminds of friend's ex wife who was really annoying but that's another story. But Cutty Ranks Seh Me Dun, I love. I guess if that gives you any indication of the kinda stuff I'm seeking...

A gnarly ass syth bassline helps too.

Somebody throw any random 5 tunes out with thinkin too much about it and I'll be happy.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Yah, I know/have most of the above and wouldn't call them digital, just dancehall...

FYI "Sleng Teng" basically introduced the digi era... some 80s Casio for that ass...

A couple favorites from the old school:

Courtney Melody: Bad Boy, Ninja Me Ninja
    Tenor Saw: Pumpkin Melody

also, I've also wanted to know who did the dancehall version of Toots "Bam Bam"? Not Sister Nancy, it's on the same riddim as Murder She Wrote (I think).

I think thats Pliers (who got half the credit of Murder She Wrote around the same time)

• hogg, any idea if that mix you posted a few months back of newer stuff is still active? i think i neglected to DL the first time around...

Check www.italselection.com. There's a link on the News page (front page) to one I did for a blog, and several others on the Sounds page.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Nardo Ranks - Burrup
    Yellowman - Zungguzung
    Eek-A-Mouse - Wa-Do-Dem

Yah, I know/have most of the above and wouldn't call them digital, just dancehall... Chaka Demus is the right era but doesn't have that digital feel... and plus I hate that song cause it reminds of friend's ex wife who was really annoying but that's another story. But Cutty Ranks Seh Me Dun, I love. I guess if that gives you any indication of the kinda stuff I'm seeking...

A gnarly ass syth bassline helps too.

Somebody throw any random 5 tunes out with thinkin too much about it and I'll be happy.

When somebody says digital I think early dancehall because it implies a change from the pre-digital
    era. So I'd say start with, The Sleeping Bag Dancehall Classics Vol. 1 and 2 if you want early digital.
    If you want 90's stuff:
    Here's 5:

Murder Them-Ninjaman
    Nuff Man A Dead-Super Cat
    Dem Gun-Capleton and Bobby Zarro
    Pirates Anthem-Home T, Cocoa T, Shabba Ranks
    Punnaney Tegereg-Little Lenny

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    if your looking for LP's I recommend these two.

also labels will include

Jammys, Exterminator, Digital B, PowerHouse, How U Fe Sey Dat

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

Plus:

Older:
    King Kong
    Papa Finnegan And Junior Ranking - Two the hard way
    Ninja man

Newer:
    Turbulence
    Rob symeonn
    Lutan Fyah
    Jah Mason

And for the hella crazy:
    Dr Evil

Also check out some of the newer dubstep coming out like digital mystikz and coki

Coki - Burnin'
    DivShare File - 01 Burnin_.mp3

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

I drop that on the reg, and it gets a reaction everytime... even heads who (unsurprisingly) only know the MJ version.

digital reggae

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Double cosine on Come Again and on two of my favourite singers from the 80s digital era: Courtney Melody and Conroy Smith.

Smith's Indian Lady - nice!!

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    also two LP's that I recently picked up. Both cost me some change but well worth it.

might be more rub-a-dub than dancehall. but a nice piece none the less.

cant believe super cat has not been mentioned. the original DON DODDA CD was my first exposure to dancehall (along with shabba) like 12 -14 yrs ago. Super cat does it for me everytime.

also just picked this CD up from amazon. USED. for cheap. a nice one!!

check out the tracklisting

Disc: 1
    1. Rub a Dub Soldier - Paul Blake
    2. Herbman Hustling - Sugar Minott
    3. Under Mi Sleng Teng - Wayne Smith
    4. Briggy Dip
    5. Cover Me - Ninjaman, Tinga Stewart
    6. Gun in a Baggy - Little Lenny
    7. Road Runner - Dirtsman
    8. I Just Love My Woman
    9. Groovy Little Thing - Beres Hammond
    10. Big and Bad - Papa San
    See all 20 tracks on this disc

Disc: 2
    1. Fit Yu Haffi Fit - Black Uhuru
    2. Entrepreneur
    3. Pumpkin Belly - Tenor Saw
    4. Bad Boy Attack - Double Ugly
    5. Jump Up - Admiral Bailey
    6. Zig It Up - Flourgon, Ninjaman
    7. Musical Murder - Sugar Minott
    8. Ready Done
    9. Rebel Girl - Robert Ffrench
    10. She's a Maniac - Frankie Paul
    See all 20 tracks on this disc

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    This place has seemingly endless amounts of mixes..

Thanks for the link.

By the way, my wife saw your avatar the other night and laughed out loud. "Oh my god, it's Buster!"

Obviously your wife has some great taste.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

A lot of y'all should really consider stepping into the 21st century.

Vybz Kartel...

More freestyles...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxkUyG5A2oE

Seriously, to each their own...but if you can't get with this stuff, then plaese to just give it up.

Kind of fun.

• A lot of y'all should really consider stepping into the 21st century.

There are so many young guns who are absolutely murdering it right now:

Mavado
    Busy Signal
    Munga Honorebel
    Aidonia
    Demarco
    Mista Peppa (the first guy to rhyme in Harv's freestyle video above)

And the list goes on and on.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Vybz Kartel...

There are so many young guns who are absolutely murdering it right now:

Mavado
    Busy Signal
    Munga Honorebel
    Aidonia
    Demarco
    Mista Peppa (the first guy to rhyme in Harv's freestyle video above)

And the list goes on and on.

It pains me to see how disconnected most Americans are from what really goes down in Jamaica. And I'm currently in a total wasteland right now here in Austin. The reggae scene here is so entirely wack. I mean, when a Sizzla or Capleton or Anthony B come to town, the real folks certainly come out of the woodwork for it. But otherwise, there are no clubs or radio stations playing any dancehall whatsoever. When I went to Miami a year or 2 ago, it was like I just wanted to listen to the radio the whole time I was there...for it was jamming left and right.

But here, even the people in the public eye who are into reggae make it there policy to only get behind throwback roots shit. I like all of that stuff too at times, but their deliberate exclusion of modern sounds makes me want to scratch their eyes out. There's really no record store either that do the situation much good...and despite posting on message boards till the cows come home, I've never been much of a find-my-music-online kinda dude. Furthermore, that such incredible Jamaican vocalists are being completely slept on in favor of putting lesser dudes like Jay-Z and Lil Wayne on a pedestal makes me want to scratch brains out.

Anyway, thanks for that list of up-and-coming names. I'm definitely going to follow up on those.