Les Rallizes Denudes

CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
So, I was intrigued by this band when I read about them in Cope's Japrocksampler over Christmas, then completely forgot about them. Now I've found quite a few videos of them on youtube, and boy, they are pretty damn incredible!

"Night of the Assassins"The bassline, the feedback, the ray-bans...I need some of their music, but if I remember correctly they were anti-recording, however there's loads of bootlegs? Amazon and eBay don't reveal hardly anything, so I turn to the mighty Strut for guidance.Anyone have some more info on these guys, or some of their tracks on mp3 or a record they want to trade or something?Any help is much appreciated.PS: My 1000th post in over 5 (6? 7?) years of checking the strut! I'm glad it's about good music.

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    So, I was intrigued by this band when I read about them in Cope's Japrocksampler over Christmas, then completely forgot about them. Now I've found quite a few videos of them on youtube, and boy, they are pretty damn incredible!

"Night of the Assassins"

The bassline, the feedback, the ray-bans...

I need some of their music, but if I remember correctly they were anti-recording, however there's loads of bootlegs? Amazon and eBay don't reveal hardly anything, so I turn to the mighty Strut for guidance.

Anyone have some more info on these guys, or some of their tracks on mp3 or a record they want to trade or something?

Any help is much appreciated.

PS: My 1000th post in over 5 (6? 7?) years of checking the strut! I'm glad it's about good music.

Do a Google blog search and you'll come up in no time - there's shitloads of Rallizes material out there. I've got some links at home that I'll post up this evening as well. These may be useful in the meantime.

http://www.yk.rim.or.jp/~ubud/rallizes.html
    http://noise.as/main/rallizes

As far as I know, there's only one official Rallizes album out there, and that's this one;

All the others are essentially bootlegs of varying quality and legitimacy.

I did more or less the same thing as you. I read the Cope book and was fascinated by their story, so I immediately went looking for the music. It's not something I listen to all the time, but once your ears become acclimatised to the repetition, dubbed-out sheets of feedback and all-round primitive vibe of their sound, it's almost soothing.

Dubious mentioned them on here a few months back, and made the very valid point that what the Jesus and Mary Chain were hailed as revolutionaries and iconoclasts for doing in 1984 was almost exactly what Les Rallizes had already been doing for almost twenty years.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Thanks a lot! Actually I found that album "Mizutani" a little while ago, but it doesn't really carry the punch I was looking for, if you know what I mean? It's quite folky isn't it?

Yeah, Jesus and Mary Chain came to mind when I first heard their stuff. Was there an influence there? They didn't tour outside Japan did they? I kind of wish I hadn't given the book to a friend now..

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Check out Heavier Than a Death in the Family.

A heap of Rallizes stuff here...

http://die-fremde.blogspot.com/search?q=rallizes

Check out Heavier Than a Death in the Family.

I like Live '77 and Blind Baby Has Its Mother's Eyes as well.