rocksteady recommendations?

zlatorogzlatorog 66 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Growing up whenever it got warm outside the early Marley collection "Rock to the Rock" would be my constant cruisin' jams. Someone posted a tasty Gaylads track last week and it got me thinking it's time to step my rocksteady game up. I've got some Alton Ellis, Ken Boothe, Desmond Dekker and I love me some Heptones but I need some about the bridge between ska and reggae.

Comments

• Sounds like you got a good start there...

Rocksteady (really Jamaican music in general) is all about 45's. Buy 45's from the years you know they were making rocksteady (68-ish). If your not trying to spend loads of cash just go to ebreggae.com and go to town- tons of rocksteady comps and represses available I like the pressure sounds redbum ball one alot. Other than that buy by labels first- you already picked out a bunch of Coxsone stuff so other studio one related stuff would be an obvious choice. Highnote, treasure isle, merritone and buster are all responsible for tons of great rocksteady so go through that stuff too. Tons of podcasts too, if thats what you want. I like the dancecrasher stuff tim p does or rockashacka's stuff outta japan. If your just looking for album suggestions, I dig buster's ten commandments lp which was put out in the states on rca so not that tough to find.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    You officially need the 'Safe Travel' Caltone records comp. Some of the most psychotic rocksteady came out on this label. Just listen to Phil Pratt's "Reach out", Hemsley Morris "Little THings" or Ken Boothe's "the one i love" for proof that rare records are really good, dispite what most people on this board seem to think these days.

I actually made a rocksteady mix for a friend recently. Any of these tracks should be suitable to your ears:

Heptones - Why Did you Leave Me
    Carlton & His Shoes - Love Me Forever
    The Bassies - THings come up to bump
    Hemsley Morris - Love is Strange
    phyllis dillon - perfidia
    The Jamaicans - Dedicated to You
    Paragons - Left with a Broken Heart
    Roman Stewart - While I was walking
    The Pioneers - Give Me a Little Loving
    Dawn Penn - You Don't Love Me
    Phil Pratt - Reach Out
    The Minstrels - People Get Ready
    Bumps Oakley - Get a Lick
    The Eternals - Queen of the Minstrels
    THe Gaylets - Silent River Runs Deep
    Glen Adams - Grab a Girl

I'm too busy right now but maybe I can post some sound files later.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

Probably my favorite Rock Steady tune of all time. I know there's an LP, is it worth tracking down?

• Carlton & His Shoes - Love Me Forever

is it worth tracking down?

It's really great, get it, one of my favorites.

• Heptones - Why Did you Leave Me
    The Bassies - THings come up to bump
    Hemsley Morris - Love is Strange
    phyllis dillon - perfidia
    The Jamaicans - Dedicated to You
    Paragons - Left with a Broken Heart
    Roman Stewart - While I was walking
    The Pioneers - Give Me a Little Loving
    Dawn Penn - You Don't Love Me
    Phil Pratt - Reach Out
    The Minstrels - People Get Ready
    Bumps Oakley - Get a Lick
    The Eternals - Queen of the Minstrels
    THe Gaylets - Silent River Runs Deep
    Glen Adams - Grab a Girl

I'm too busy right now but maybe I can post some sound files later.

Please do so for the poster asking for recommendations - this looks like a solid mix!

i can add this gem:

ripped from my copy @256

http://www.divshare.com/download/2901306-915