Sly & The Family - Seventh Son (early recordings)

LuckLoopLuckLoop 103 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
On Vampi Soul.never seen this before, anyone know if its good?

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Got a track listing? Because I might have some of this same material under another name...

I have "Seventh Son," the song, on another "early Sly" collection (from the UK), Precious Stone on Ace. It's sort of a Johnny Rivers-ish, almost garage-rock thing. Even though Rivers had a hit with the same song, Stone's take on this Willie Dixon tune is quite different...

• LuckLoopLuckLoop 103 Posts
    even found it on amazon now, but no preview files

link

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Track Listings
    1. Searchin
    2. Dont Say I Didnt Warn You
    3. Aint That Lovin You Baby
    4. (I Just Learned How To) Swim
    5. Every Dog Has His Day
    6. Seventh Son
    7. I Cant Turn You Loose
    8. Take My Advice
    9. Life Of Fortune And Fame
    10. Youre My Only One
    11. Heavenly Angel
    12. Oh What A Night
    13. Youve Forgotten Me
    14. Yellow Moon
    15. Honest
    16. Help Me With My Broken Heart
    17. Long Time Away
    18. Uncle Sam Needs You My Friend
    19. In The Still Of The Night

Yep, this is early, pre-Family Stone stuff that I have on other compilations. I like it, it's pretty good.

Going straight from memory, some tracks are with his high school doo-wop group the Viscaynes; some tracks are just Sly mucking around in the studio, around the time he was working for Autumn Records; "Don't Say I Didn't Warn You" isn't even by Sly, it's something he produced for Gloria Scott & the Tonettes on Warner Brothers.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    shame they didnt put "I aint got nobody" (flip to "I cant turn you loose" on Loadstone) on there...great song.

How many "Swim" songs did Sly write? "Cmon And Swim", "S-W-I-M", and now this "(I just learned how to) Swim"....