Blackwards, Roll.

2»

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The thing is, with a lot of other groups the messages, references, in-jokes, and metaphors flew over the head of your average suburban white listener. I think even Upski wrote about it in "We Use Words Like Mackadocious" where he talks about kids on the hood of their parents' volvo singing the words to "Soul By The Pound", oblivious to the meaning. X-Clan's style was a lot harder to squeeze into a tame, cartoonish box like ATCQ or De La Soul... or a straight party vibe like Black Sheep.

Excellent point here. I suppose one could box up and dismiss X-Clan as "those weird, septum-pierced, back-to-Egypt guys," but really, you pretty much had to take them straight-up, and either you were with that or you weren't. They didn't have a nice, friendly, easily accessible single to smooth the edges.

Heed The Word Of a Brother is a accessible as u can get. A Zapp sample already made classic by EPMD?(That was still gettin burn in the streets).The rest of the album consists of mad pedestrian samples -

Big Beat,Impeach The President,Atomic Dog,Pleasure Of Love,Knee Deep,and whatever that sample is from Microphone Fiend. Its not some super deep sample record, dudes pretty much jacked RECENTLY made Classic and added their own flavor.
    Yes all that shit was spoke in heavy code but the music was mad pedestian..IMO.

Ah, crap, I should've worded that better. The beats were very accessible, absolutely. But lyrically...not so much. And I liked that contrast.

PS: As long as we're talking about the beats for a sec, somebody please tell me what the bassline is in "Verbal Milk." Not the New Birth joint, the other one.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    and whatever that sample is from Microphone Fiend.

BLASPHEMY !

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    somebody please tell me what the bassline is in "Verbal Milk."

somebody please tell me what the bassline is in "Verbal Milk."

Bless you, kind sir!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    BOMP

• just found that a couple weeks ago for a 1$ in Amoeba.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Brother J is one of my favorite rappers ever.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Brother J is one of my favorite rappers ever.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1 b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Listening to "Ooh Baby" right now. J murders this shit.

• no question, its a classic.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Brother J was a teenager what that shit came out. He said dudes thought he was 30 because he was so confident but he was barely out of highschool.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Brother J was a teenager what that shit came out. He said dudes thought he was 30 because he was so confident but he was barely out of highschool. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121He went to Mary Bergtraum H.S. w/ Q-Tip and Afrika Baby Bam.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Brother J was a teenager what that shit came out. He said dudes thought he was 30 because he was so confident but he was barely out of highschool. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121He went to Mary Bergtraum H.S. w/ Q-Tip and Afrika Baby Bam. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I love to hear what their lunch period ciphers sounded like.