WHATS YOUR SPENDING LIMIT ON WAX!

2»

Comments

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    I finally broke $100 for Kennith Higney. Am I balling yet???

Ah...a deal with the devil.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I finally broke $100 for Kennith Higney. Am I balling yet???

Ah...a deal with the devil.

Is there any sweeter kind?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    $60 was the most I ever spent for a single 12". Done $30 here and there. A lot of times when I browse records I don't even listen to anything over $30 because I don't want to be tempted.

• the most i have spent on a record thus far is 60. that was for that lightmen i bought last week

no complaints here!!!

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    the most i have spent on a record thus far is 60. that was for that lightmen i bought last week

no complaints here!!!

record show?

well worth the $60. As of Sunday, I am now a proud owner of "Fancy Pants" (ayo?) but I must say that "Energy.." is still my favorite. Great record all the way through.

• actually it was at a local store here in houston.
    actually now that i think about it, i got 10% off so it was really 54 bucks.
    so now i just have 2, energy and free as you wanna be that i got for 2.98 at half price.

i heart half price

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    I paid $175 once and I have paid around $40 regularly. Still, by rule I'm only buying stuff that's worth more than the price on the sticker. Not because I'm a dealer though, just for the game. I only deal to be able to pay for my own records. That way it becomes Monopoly money and I make sure my girl doesn't get to know the specifics (stickers will be removed well before I hit home). I do not dare to really keep track of expenses/profits and prefer to live a lie.

Where I live (Amsterdam), the dollarbins are real dull, exept for ethnic records because the dealers don't take interest in them (why?). There's a better chance to find an Erkin Koray for a dollar than to find, for example, The Meters (American import is really rare here). For a nice record you'll be paying $8 easily. For exciting splurges I take the train to Belgium which is a far better country for records.

On ebay I do bit like crazy occasionally but that's when I know there will not be another copy for years.

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    Max limit I would say $30 shipped on a 12" recently. I would spend $100 on certain records after I have sold a few and made a couple bills profit. Then "it's like monopoly money". I'm a dollar bin man. Thrill of the hunt is the best way to say it. I like selling records to buy records like Generique says. t's a neverending story. Recently something I had for trade and it seemed like no one was interested in it was sold for a nice amount. I would've taken 50 but it ended up going for 110...on a 45.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    $100 for a record I'm going to keep. More if I plan on selling it and its underpriced.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

$50

but normally I try to stay under $30 unless I really don't think I'll see it again.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

$50

but normally I try to stay under $30 unless I really don't think I'll see it again.

co-sign.

Anything more than 50$ I try and do some trade.

• $50

co-sign.

Anything more than 50$ I try and do some trade.

As of right now, we're supposed to be tracking your mix CD.
    typical west coast suburban slacker...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

At the most, I've spent $85.00 for a single LP. I come from the "dope records were cheap era" (early 80's to mid 90's), so I would cop great LPs for 10 bucks or less (ahhhh, it was good then). Maybe that's why I have trouble jumping high for an LP during the current "eBay era". I've paid anywhere from 35-50 bucks for some choice pieces over the last few years, but I try to be economical. Plus, I'm spot-buying here and there now due to LP bulk and wifely riffin'.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I rarely pay up to $15 - $20 for a record, and those are records I really want. I am very resourceful and have bought the majority of my 2nd hand records on the dirt cheap ($1), and some of these are records that some stores may price up to $100.

But yesterday was actually the first time I spent $25 on a record, and this afternoon was the first time I spent $40 on a record. I am justifying it because I traded in some old records/doubles for credit. But I am a bit scared that I basically just set a new spending limit for myself. Cause now I feel like, yeah $40 is worth it for certain records. It's like, get ready $100 records here I come!

But the progression does make a lot of sense, because when you start buying old records you buy a higher number of units at much lower costs, and then you really have a large collection at some point and you start having a tougher time filling in those really raer gaps, which is when you naturally start purchasing much fewer and raerer units at much higher costs.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I've spent a $100 a couple of times and it means nothing to me.

Money, records...all that shit comes and goes.

Cherish the intangible.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I feel more of a talking about the music contained within aas opposed to what I spent.

K.

REEL TALK

Who cares how much you spend if you are like the music you get? I spend what i need to spend to get what i like. Sometimes it's $1, and very rarely it's up to $500. But a lot of the time the money I am spending is money i made selling stuff to producer dudes or on gemm. It all evens out.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i spent $22 canadian for a mint copy of Something Else by The Kinks about 12 years ago... that's still the most i've ever spent on an LP.

i havent bought anything over $10 in a couple of years.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I've spent a $100 a couple of times and it means nothing to me.

Money, records...all that shit comes and goes.

Cherish the intangible.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It's all relative...

Spend what you can. But having some price limit is ridiculous. When I was 15, I would pass up gems for $8 because yo, I could get 8 $1 records with that. Suffice to say, the gems are gone now and the dollar bin crap is in a landfill somewhere.

I see a lot of people, a lot older than 15, with this same attitude.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    3 Camels.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    If the record is underpriced and I can resell and earn some good $$$ on it, then i'll spend whatever. It would be pretty stupid to have a $10 limit if you saw stark reality for $20.

Even when it comes to paying full value I don't have a spending limit. But there's many records that don't do that to me. So around $100 is my limit right now for stuff like terry callier - What color is love, baby huey, don blackman but this limit can be pushed as I discover new stuff.

If I got richer I would drop cash more easily.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    It's all relative...

Spend what you can. But having some price limit is ridiculous. When I was 15, I would pass up gems for $8 because yo, I could get 8 $1 records with that. Suffice to say, the gems are gone now and the dollar bin crap is in a landfill somewhere.

cosign.

• DJ_PhillieDJ_Phillie 199 Posts
    It is extremely, extremely rare that I will pay more than $10 for a used record. The percent of records I pay more than $1-2 for is like .0001%

fucking ditto.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    It's all relative...

Spend what you can. But having some price limit is ridiculous.

Yeah, there's a difference between literally limiting yourself as in "sorry, but $10 is my limit" and stating that "my limit so far has been ~$10". The latter is just a statement of fact whereas the former is actually a rule that is kind of arbitrary and absurd unless you're on the tightest of budgets, in which case you shouldn't be digging for records so much in the first place.

When I was 15, I would pass up gems for $8 because yo, I could get 8 $1 records with that. Suffice to say, the gems are gone now and the dollar bin crap is in a landfill somewhere.

In my experience, though, I *am* more likely to find gems for $1 than for $8. I've never seen Harlem River Drive for $8, for example, but I've picked up three copies over the years for $1-2. There are countless other examples. To be honest, the things I've broken down and paid $10 for haven't been all that interesting- more like functional shit that I've often found a couple months later for $1 anyway. If we upped it to $1 versus, say, $30[/b], that may be an entirely different story, but then that's at least $22 more dollars out of my pocket too!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    My limit has inched up over the years. When I first started it was $20, then $35, than $47, then I just didn't care anymore. There gets to be a point where you have a big enough collection, where there really aren't that many $15-$20 records that you want anymore and you eventually have to move up to more expensive pieces. That being said, I've only spent $100 twice on a record and that was Parliament's Osmium, and String Beat, which after postage to Europe cost $110. I would drop more than that in a second if I wanted a record enough.

The big thing with me now though, with a mortgage, and family is a monthly budget for records. I'm trying to limit my record buying each month to about $200-$300 and if it's less than all the better because I got BILLLSSSSS to pay these days.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    TURN IN YOUR GUN AND BADGE

NOT MY GUN!!!!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    My limit has inched up over the years. When I first started it was $20, then $35, than $47, then I just didn't care anymore. There gets to be a point where you have a big enough collection, where there really aren't that many $15-$20 records that you want anymore and you eventually have to move up to more expensive pieces... I would drop more than that in a second if I wanted a record enough.

so true. I started out refusing to spend more than $10 a rackord, now I drop $50 like it ain't no thing if I want the record bad enough, still haven't gone past $65 although I would if I could just find those records I wanted (see losing out constantly on ebay after dropp $100+ bids).

and you coldn't be more right about getting more selective as time goes by.

How many others out there buy doubles to resell and use for future record money?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    now that i think about it. i have spent more but it was foe a collection of records not just one. i'll pay as much as a 1000.00 for an entire collection if i must but it has to be really good stuff. i'l make my money back ten times.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I'm really annoyed by some friends of mine who decide not to buy rare funky albums for 50 Euros, because they refuse to spend more than 15 Euros per record. Next day, they buy 5 LPs for 10 bucks each. WHAT's UP WITH THAT? There's a really antisnobby buying attitude amongst some diggers. I feel that if it's rare it's RARE. Think about books or classical music. Old folks spend thousands of Dollars to buy their vinyl. I'd feel bad not to buy an OKKO LP for 40 Euros (a friend of mine decided not to buy this top notch Sitar Funk LP, because he thought it was overpriced - WTF? I'm quite sure that he'll not see that record again for much less).

I'd rather spend some extra bucks just to be sure to get that record for myself. I'm talking about rare records though. I barely pay more that 20 Euros for common Jazz or Soul records if I can't resell the stuff.

For example: I found the Please LP on Telefunken twice this year: First time, I paid 35 Euros and resold the vinyl for 85 Euros. Second time I paid 15 and kept it for myself. There are no fixed prices to me. I pay whatever I feel like that day.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    It's all relative...

That's what I was trying to say in my post. That's some weird attitude. Who'd pass on a Stark Reality for 100 USD?