Attention Bambouche: Goth Girls of New York

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    When I was in Grade Nine, The Cure came to town and Robert Smith was doing a radio interview. I called in and got through. I was in the middle of a conversation with him about his favourite things to eat when on tour (cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches)when my mother picked up the phone from downstairs and said to get off the phone cause my dad was supposed to call. Of course, I screeched ???I???m on the phone with Robert Smith!??? and of course she asked ???Who???? to which I had to respond ???Robert Smith from The Cure??? to which there was silence and then a curt ???Hurry up!??? I was horrified and Smith and the host were howling and I couldn???t believe the shame and the fact that she had cut into what precious little time I had with him. Off-air they offered me tickets probably because they felt sorry for me, but I already had some. The next day at school, when I should have otherwise been bragging, I didn???t tell anyone that I had spoken to Robert Smith. A few people had still heard and I was laughed at and comforted, too.

A Forest by The Cure is one of the most beautiful songs ever.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Definetly not a "homophobic" thing.

I hope you know I'm kidding, sexpot?

I WANT TO KNOW THE "T.R.O.Y." OF THIS GOTH SHIT!

some dude has an hour's worth for you.

Too bad RillyTruggle ain't posting here any more.

She's got the grown-up goth sensibility:

(File Under: Inadvertant Diplo Sighting)

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

indeed! check out this bossanova cover of this song

http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2FITL6VLYHEE33BE6L5RHN05BT

it's .m4a instead of mp3 so you'll need itunes, but it's fiyah

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

Is that bottom one a still from Conrack?

AK! no speakers at work....when things look up in that department - I'll have to ask you for the link again.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    cure's greatest hits is a great listen, so many great melodies. "friday i'm in love" may be their most commerical song, but its phucking awesome. liked that song they had on the crow soundtrack. i think all goth girls are ex cheerleaders who later become emo's and then buy their daughter's madonna albums as they mature.

Is that bottom one a still from Conrack?

Diplo is the illegitimate offspring of Jon Voight and a Floridian goth swamp creature... GO!

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

don't test my google

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I think the cherry on top of this thread would be aschrock/handcorkscrew reposting that pic of himself wearing a dog collar...

oh shit that's much easier. i just ripped it from my cd on itunes, but yeah good to know i'm not breaking any laws

the xtc, dead kennedys and the clash cover get my thumbs up

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    When I was in Grade Nine, The Cure came to town and Robert Smith was doing a radio interview. I called in and got through. I was in the middle of a conversation with him about his favourite things to eat when on tour (cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches)when my mother picked up the phone from downstairs and said to get off the phone cause my dad was supposed to call. Of course, I screeched ???I???m on the phone with Robert Smith!??? and of course she asked ???Who???? to which I had to respond ???Robert Smith from The Cure??? to which there was silence and then a curt ???Hurry up!??? I was horrified and Smith and the host were howling and I couldn???t believe the shame and the fact that she had cut into what precious little time I had with him. Off-air they offered me tickets probably because they felt sorry for me, but I already had some. The next day at school, when I should have otherwise been bragging, I didn???t tell anyone that I had spoken to Robert Smith. A few people had still heard and I was laughed at and comforted, too.

Bestest story EVAR? Damn, that had me crackin' up. That's right out of a John Hughes movie!

I could get my nut on top of the cherry that is this thread if aschrock/handcorkscrew reposted that pic of himself wearing a dog collar...

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    Too bad RillyTruggle ain't posting here any more.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I could get my nut on top of the cherry that is this if aschrock/handcorkscrew reposted that pic of himself wearing a dog collar...

Did someone just request a dog collar photo be reposted on here?

can I get some love for
    "Seasick, yet still docked"

putting the Die in Dyra,
    Stanks

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Too bad PHILLYSUTBLE ain't up in this thread right now.

Did someone just request a dog collar photo be reposted on here?

Closet part 6, starring Young Regatta!

can I get some love for

"Seasick, yet still docked"

putting the Die in Dyra,

Stanks

I can show you how to play both rhythm and lead, all you need is the missing teeth, cuffed pants, and some rock-a-billy hairgel.

But the person underneath

Where does he go?

Does he slide by the wayside?

Or ... does he
    just die?

"Grow up, be a man, and close your mealy-mouth!"

I am guilty of reading every postcript at It May All End Tomorrow about Morrissey lyrics, and the note for "Seasick" is priceless:

After the triumvirate of silly throwaway singles, we return to a more sombre atmosphere for this part of Your Arsenal. A beautiful and refined song, stultifyingly introspective and poetic. The sparseness of the words manages to convey a huge amount of emotion, the sweeping statements ("I've got no charm", "no-one gave me anything") building up to the brilliant couplet "my love is as sharp as a needle in your eye / you must be such a fool to pass me by". He uses the semi-violent imagery to describe his love, before finishing semi-arrogantly.

Morrissey paints himself here (and there can be no doubt this song is autobiographical) as desperate, horribly self-obsessed, and empty of hope. His description of himself as "scavenging through life's very constant lulls" is pure brilliance.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    i just ripped it from my cd on itunes

How's the rest of the CD? Worth the purchase?

-e

i just ripped it from my cd on itunes

How's the rest of the CD? Worth the purchase?

-e

i think the rest of it is corny, but you would like it

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Haha! Awesome.

-e

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Amazing story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace

h

HAZ! Where have you been? I will PM you!

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I think the cherry on top of this thread would be aschrock/handcorkscrew reposting that pic of himself wearing a dog collar...

I also found a pic of one of my first girlfriends... I'll scan it when my fiance gets home.... it's actually a really reserved pic of her, but she's a chubby half japanese ex-cheerleader who got all dudded out for weekend gothdom. I wish I had pics of her in high school. I've seen em. Like bambouche's goth ladies but with mad teased bangs.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I also found a pic of one of my first girlfriends... I'll scan it when my fiance gets home.... it's actually a really reserved pic of her, but she's a chubby half japanese ex-cheerleader who got all dudded out for weekend gothdom. I wish I had pics of her in high school. I've seen em. Like bambouche's goth ladies but with mad teased bangs.

So classic.

But, yo, don't you mean that you'll scan it in when your fiancee leaves?

So classic.

So true.

But, yo,

But, yo, don't you mean that you'll scan it in when your fiancee leaves?

for some of us it is only reminiscing, while for others (who curiously have Black Goth??? web pages bookmarked (at work?) and post them all oh, here's something I found) it's obviously something, uh, a little more.

Dark entries, dark entries...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    No offense guys, but "Disintegration" is Cure-Light.

This is for the tru Goth soldiers:

Still play this one sometimes, too. It's pretty tough for a Cure record.

My best Cure/Goth story is pretty funny - I saw them in 1986 when I was in HS. It was a good tour to catch, because it was for their "Staring at the Sea" greatest hits to that point collection, so they did tons of old stuff, including an encore of the title track of the above LP that was definitely for the true believers, cause most of the late pass fans that liked "In Between Days" just had their jaws dropped in confusion at the feedback dirge the band sent them home with...awesome...anyway, the funny part was that Robert Smith cut all of his hair off the day of the show, and came out on stage with a flat-top! You seriously heard around 2/3 of the crowd of 12,000 screaming and crying in agony, and this massive Siouxsie Sue lookalike behind me started booing and throwing things and left the show! Over a haircut!! It's amazing how many initially good bands just last forever and turn to garbage for the majority of their existence - those UK new wave acts are almost as guilty of it as the 60's dinosaurs...

I think my first 6 girlfriends were what would be called "goth" although I was more of a skate punk myself...there was lots of intermingling of teen cliques in the 80's!

What's their "big smash" hit??!?! The one that gets all the black velvet panties in a knot.

I WANT TO KNOW THE "T.R.O.Y." OF THIS GOTH SHIT!

I used "If Only Tonight We Could Sleep" for a Lil' Kim "Suck My Dick" mash 4 years ago, when he was extinguishing the smoldering embers of his kung fu and modern soul stages.

"Can't wait to show my girls he sucked the piss out my pussy"

(A Black Sabbath, The Cure, The Smiths, Lil' Kim clusterfuck)

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    YO. I was 14 when Disentegration came out and I went to see the Cure on that tour WITH MY DAD.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    YO. I was 14 when Disentegration came out and I went to see the Cure on that tour WITH MY DAD.

SIK

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    the funny part was that Robert Smith cut all of his hair off the day of the show, and came out on stage with a flat-top! You seriously heard around 2/3 of the crowd of 12,000 screaming and crying in agony, and this massive Siouxsie Sue lookalike behind me started booing and throwing things and left the show! Over a haircut!!

Love it. Goth is all image. is for the LADIES. Fawning over darling frail boys, watching edward scissorhands, and putting on makeup.

Real dark lord renaissance men are "rivet head" or "industrial" kind of guys. Not into the frilly things. Definitely COIL. Piercings, "stairs and flowers", military surplus, EBM, chains, front line assembly, black t-shirts.

Lots of black t-shirts.

I think the last of them are finally out of my drawers and into the salvation army. They could outfit an entire generation of trenchcoat mafias.

Shit I've seen so many goth & industrial kids with mullets even. You take a rivet head out of a black t-shirt and army surplus boots and he might as well be a hockey player. Think henry rollins.