Attention Bambouche: Goth Girls of New York

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
The nation's paper of record has decided to tackle one of your core areas of interest:http://www.nytimes.com/packages/khtml/2005/07/13/nyregion/20050713_LENS_FEATURE.html

Comments

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I know faux_rills is trying to figure out how to get Sherri Turner as a screensaver!

"It's another choice besides cement skyscrapers and business suits."

I actually saw Amanda Dutton, one of the featured Goths, around town recently. Maintaining Ultimate Gothdom in New York summer is rough. That Tribes of New York feature was fucking weaksauce, though. I mean, who listens to With Vengeance?

[TrueGothRevealed]

Just last night I was putting away records, preparing for houseguests, and I realized I had doubles of just about every Cure album. I can't be bothered with all that hair product and shit, though. I wear black on the inside, cause black is how I feel on, well, the inside.

[/TrueGothRevealed]

Seriously, where was the fucking New York Times in 1988? Here's my Hometown Goth Girls??? (some of you may remember from last year) feature:

***Cue Christian Death's "Only Theatre of Pain"***

SEE DEATH GO TO HIGH SCHOOL[/b]

(Front)

SEE DEATH GO TO HIGH SCHOOL[/b]

(Back)

How The Neo-Goths Wear Braces[/b]

Goth Senior Portraits Oooze Sex![/b]

Goth Uniform: Skinny Puppy Shirt, Hair Did, and a Crystal[/b]

(File Under: Gothing Around Parental Control)[/b]

My Goth Penpal...[/b]

THIS JUST IN![/b]

GOTH/HESHER CROSS-POLLENATION PROM PHOTO![/b]

(She: Worships Stevie Nicks and Loves Butterflies)

(He: Can puke on command and sings for "Morbid Death")

it's all about the crushed velvet

(true story)

Seriously, what skeletal remains lie in purgatorial abyss in the faux_rills goth closet?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Seriously, what skeletal remains lie in purgatorial abyss in the faux_rills goth closet?

Does it surprise you to learn that I am actually familiar with this song?

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    FIVE

STARS

Does it surprise you to learn that I am actually familiar with this song?

Does it surprise you to learn coselmed showed me your crushed velvet jumper while you were fixing the drinks last time I was at your place?

Can we talk about that tattoo now?

My secret fear of being alone
    I sit and hold hands with myself
    I sit and make love to myself
    I've got blood on my hands
    I've got blood on your hands
    Blood on your hands
    Blood!

Does it surprise you to learn coselmed showed me your crushed velvet jumper while you were fixing the drinks last time I was at your place?

For the benefit of all you lurkers: It's not even like that. I checked out Christian Death when I was younger and more--how do you say?--"open-minded," but ultimately concluded that the name was much better than the music.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    FIVE

ANKHS

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Maintaining Ultimate Gothdom in New York summer is rough.

LOL

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Mozzer ain't a Goth girl and never will be. He is a sensitive SoCal dude, now.

Life is pain, though

Life is pain, though
    yes! but when i was the closest to goth, this was my shit... SoCal. hahahaha

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    ANKHS

dude that is so real. pencilled on the mead notebook covers of budding afrocentrics and budding practictioners of the dark arts alike!

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    This thread is awesome... complete with Neil Gaman illustrations.

I realized recently that Cure's "Disintegration" is one of my favorite albums ever. My brother and I bought it when it first came out and have loved it since. But, my whole thing with that album is: it came out in 1989. What the fuck was I so sad about when I was 9 years old that I was listening to such melancholy music?

-e

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Life is pain, though
    yes! but when i was the closest to goth, this was my shit... SoCal. hahahaha

SoCal is no joke and I believe gay would be more accurate than ghey in this instance. And I'm not even a fan...

Mexican fans

I'm not even a fan... what?!

saying

those dudes attack me at every record show and fight over the dutch Smiths 12"s

they are serious

I realized recently that Cure's "Disintegration" is one of my favorite albums ever.

Emynd, you know the time. Fascination Street is no joke.

Now where is Iron Monkey? He is a bigger Cure fan than all of us

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I'm not even a fan...
    what?!
    yup. it's true. i'm that rare breed of early 30s music fan that never liked the Smiths/Morrissey, I just like the gladiolas.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    This thread is awesome... complete with Neil Gaman illustrations.

I realized recently that Cure's "Disintegration" is one of my favorite albums ever. My brother and I bought it when it first came out and have loved it since. But, my whole thing with that album is: it came out in 1989. What the fuck was I so sad about when I was 9 years old that I was listening to such melancholy music?

-e

same here, I was 9 when I listened to that album. That song about the spider-man would freak me out.

Got my copy by trading Iron Maiden's 'Tailgunner' for it.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    more plaese...my minions

I know you're a moderator and all, but dude, FUCK YOU!

DON'T TEST MY GOTH?

Ask anyone. Iron Monkey is nice, but he plays futbol. C'mon, real goths don't touch the pigskin. And I believe I'm the only one who has consistently rode for The Cure in every gaybashing/what's the deal with hairspray and mascara thread this board has seen. No offense, but I have the shattered glass cover of Disintegration, what's Adrian got? I have the studio version 12" of "Jack The Ripper", what's Adrian got?

And I don't believe Morrissey has ever publicly acknowledged his sexuality, so it's neither ghey nor gay, but... :curious?:

It took a tattooed boy from Brooklyn

To really, really open her eyes

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i once saw 2 goth dudes get into a fight at my high school. i never seen 2 dudes pull each others hair and cat scratch before. plus one dudes dress got ripped. it was raw.

I know you're a moderator and all, but dude, FUCK YOU!

DON'T TEST MY GOTH?

...what's Adrian got? I have the studio version 12" of "Jack The Ripper", what's Adrian got?

BEEF! BEEF! BAN! BAN!

lol

I dunno, we're gonna have to get Iron Monk in here to weigh in with this Cure promo 12"s or something. I'm just saying, sorry to TET your Gothster.

SoCal is no joke

I bought Index Magazine when Morrissey was on the cover, excited to read about his life in Los Angeles. The photos in the issue were taken by Wolfgang Tillmans (blushes). We happen to be friends with the woman who represents Tillmans, and one night at dinner amidst a very sophisticated conversation of fine art commodity, Tillmans name was brought up. Seeing the open door, I lunged in, "Can you score me prints of the photos Wolfgang took of Moz?"

Not only was she completely unaware of such a lowly "Band Photo???" commercial venture of one of her many clients, but I was met with the steel-eyed coldness of an art dealer that, while she was 30, had obviously outgrown her Morrissey phase long, long ago. The topic, being shot dead in its tracks, changed to apartment redocorating. While everyone was weighing the options of exposed brick, I threw a "well, it's only bricks and mortar" in the mix... on deaf ears.

Where the world's ugliest boy became what you see.

Here I am - the ugliest man

I ask again, what skeletal remains lie in purgatorial abyss in the faux_rills goth closet?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    south park's take on goths is amazing, they've had like 3/4 episodes that showcase/reference them

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Umm...I don't think I could name an actual Cure or Morrissey song if my life depended on it.

I thought the Cure and Morrissey where 80's rock or new wave or something.

I dunno, we're gonna have to get Iron Monk in here to weigh in with this Cure promo 12"s or something. I'm just saying, sorry to TET your Gothster.

Tell your futbol friend that I used "If Only Tonight We Could Sleep" for a Lil' Kim "Suck My Dick" mash 4 years ago, when he was extinguishing the smoldering embers of his kung fu and modern soul stages.

Discuss...

Then an angel would come/ With burning eyes like stars
    And bury us deep/ In his velvet arms

Umm...I don't think I could name an actual Morrissey song if my life depended on it.

"We Hate it When Our Friends Become Asexual"

I thought the Cure and Morrissey where 80's rock or new wave or something.

Pretty much

Umm...I don't think I could name an actual Cure or Morrissey song if my life depended on it.I thought the Cure and Morrissey where 80's rock or new wave or something.

Umm... Then perhaps the myriad of "hot or not" threads are more your pace, Young Phobix?

Such a little thing
    A fumbling politeness
    The difference saved me

Wielding a bicycle chain
    Why won't you change?

"I WILL NOT CHANGE
    AND I WILL NOT BE NICE"

Most people keep their brains
    Between their legs

(Don't you find ?)

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    man i was 14 when disintegration came out. serious serious stuff right there.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Umm...I don't think I could name an actual Cure or Morrissey song if my life depended on it.I thought the Cure and Morrissey where 80's rock or new wave or something.

Umm... Then perhaps the myriad of "hot or not" threads are more your pace, Young Phobix?

Such a little thing
    A fumbling politeness
    The difference saved me

Wielding a bicycle chain
    Why won't you change?

"I WILL NOT CHANGE
    AND I WILL NOT BE NICE"

Most people keep their brains
    Between their legs

(Don't you find ?)

'Che Gwarera:

Definetly not a "homophobic" thing. I thought I'd mention it because I know these are groups that have a cult fanbase but yet I don't even know a single song by them. What's their "big smash" hit??!?! The one that gets all the black mesh shirts in a frenzy.

I WANT TO KNOW THE "T.R.O.Y." OF THIS GOTH SHIT!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    OMG this thread is so funny. i'm dying over here