Lollapalooza line-up (Whoa related)

DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Who is riding for this over priced festival this year? The line up looks pretty sweet this year with SS fave Sharon Jones, as well as Mark Ronson, Kanye, Gnarls etc, I am kinda thinking of coughing up the $190 (!!!)My dad's boss owns a condo right downtown in Chi, we are trying to hook that up rather than paying for overpriced hotel...http://www.lollapalooza.com/PeaceZeb

Comments

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Who is riding for this over priced festival this year? The line up looks pretty sweet this year with SS fave Sharon Jones, as well as Mark Ronson, Kanye, Gnarls etc, I am kinda thinking of coughing up the $190 (!!!)
    My dad's boss owns a condo right downtown in Chi, we are trying to hook that up rather than paying for overpriced hotel...

http://www.lollapalooza.com/

Peace
    Zeb

$190??? not paying for a hotel is a good look, but all that cheese? Is that for the whole weekend or something? [old] I looked at the list, and there'd have to be a lot more bands I like on there to justify the loot and getting burnt up in the sun while bumping into drunk people. [/old]

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    I should have clarified that $190 is for the 3 day pass... That's still $63 a day - BUT there are some pretty dope performers... I would really like to see the Dap Kings play live, every one on SS talkin about how facemelt Sharon is live...

• Blues Traveler

I would really like to see the Dap Kings play live, every one on SS talkin about how facemelt Sharon is live...AT A DIFFERENT VENUE

Blues Traveler

that's what I said too. the Do the indie rock hipsters secretly love the jam band stylings of BT?

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts

Paying $5 for bottled water or $10 for a Smirnoff Ice sounds pretty
    They let you take in 2 factory sealed bottles of water and that is IT...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Blues Traveler

that's what I said too. the Do the indie rock hipsters secretly love the jam band stylings of BT?

Sharon Jones show in 2008 and beyond = Jam Band fans

no offense meant, you can't pick your fans. That's whose going to support that type of sound when any trendiness fades, lucky for those guys that that crowd has plenty of $$$ and are fiercely loyal. A band could do way worse.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Nice to see Toronto's K'Naan on the bill.

G Love and Special Sauce. They're still around? Who the hell are their fans?

I think the crowd will be a nightmare.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

I got to about 52% page loaded before closing the browser.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Oh shit, that link that Zest provided is one of those sites where they gotta give you a whole goddamned light show before you get what you came for. And all I wanted to see was the lineup, but they had to make a five-minute presentation out of THAT as well. I'll check it out later.

As far as who goes to see Blues Traveler at a supposed alt-rock festival...I was there the last time they played Lollapalooza, and they attracted the middle-aged jock-bar types you'd expect. Sorta like the usual jam-band hippies, except ten years older. That's one thing I noticed about that festival; there are a suprising amount of fans who don't mind paying the cost to see the one act they wanted to see before leaving...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I might go the day Radiohead is playing. I'd rather them cut $50 off the ticket price and cut about 50 of the bands too. It's impossible to see that many groups in a week, much less a weekend.

I have skipped Lolla the past two years but hit Pitchfork Fest both times -- it's a lot cheaper and decent bands as well.

As far as Blues Traveler and G. Love, I don't personally like either of those bands but I am pretty sure they have large followings on the jam band scene.

Blues Traveler

no offense meant, you can't pick your fans. That's whose going to support that type of sound when any trendiness fades, lucky for those guys that that crowd has plenty of $$$ and are fiercely loyal. A band could do way worse.

I hear you. I'm not hating on jam band fans (although I'm not into any of the "jam band" bands) The real hippie ones can annoy me at shows, but like you said, they allow a lot of good bands to eat, so it's all good.

I just thought that BT was a strange choice for Lollapalooza, which seems to be heavy on the "it" or semi-"it" bands.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

I just thought that BT was a strange choice for Lollapalooza, which seems to be heavy on the "it" or semi-"it" bands.

The demographic is definitely getting older thoug, seeing as the first was in like 93 or something? 15 years ago?

And dude plays a mean harp, no jokes.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Blues Traveler

I remember doing a radio interview with Victor from Antibalas back in '02 or '03, just before they were going to open up for some Trey Anastasio band out in Vegas. I alluded to this ... how they were going to get a whole new kind of fanbase.

When asked for his opinion about that "jam band scene", he paused and then joked, "they sure like music." That they do. Painfully so. It wasn't long before Antibalas was added to every jam band festival lineup and, soon after, most of their club shows sold out. Hey, money's money. And there were always Fu Arkistra gigs for those who wanted to hear some afrobeat in a crowd of less than 50.

As for Sharon, it's been a while since you've been able to catch one of their shows in anything but a completely packed house (in NY and Boston anyway). After this, you'll absolutely have to order tickets ahead of time to catch her. It's great to see that crew get some success (few deserve it more), but now we'll have to chase down Budos, Lee Fields, El Michels etc to see that heavy sound in a more intimate setting.

Though, it won't be long before the hippies find them too.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Blues Traveler

true...thats the deal with Charles Walker and the Dynamites here in TN (I think the band leader is a reformed jam band dude)...when they last played here they were all pissed off that they booked their show the same night as the North Mississippi All Stars (popular jam band)...we didnt think it would make a difference in the crowd, but it did...the thing I hate about the jam band crowd getting into this stuff is that the bands start to change a little bit to cater to them...the music doesnt change but soul, to me is made up of 2 and half minute songs...and the Dynamites now do these boring ass 10 minute versions with extended solos and shit...yawn.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    kill that wackapalooza noise. Prince and Portishead at Coachella.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20190320,00.html

kill all that shit. ponderosa stomp's comin up in a few weeks and thats gonna son everybody:

http://www.ponderosastomp.com/

• Blues Traveler

I have no problem with them as a band, etc.

In context with the rest of the line-up -- it just seems a bit

Blues Traveler

How is Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings not a part of this group/lineup.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    i'll most likely be at lollapalooza again this year and i'm excited about the diversity (maybe a little disconnected) that they're bringin in. i can say from experience that there's little to no hippies at this fest. lot's of what i'd call "normal" people with a few hipsters thrown in. i've had a great time the years i went so i'm lookin forward to this one. and an excuse to drink all weekend.

Blues Traveler

I thought the point of Lollapalooza was supposed to be a diverse lineup anyway...nothing disconnected about that.

• What's disconnected is their relevance in context with all of the other artist. I just see them as holding the 'odd man out' position for the entire lineup.

Not to be a hardnose, but what is the "context" you speak of? With the soul revival going on, an act like Sharon & the Dap Kings would seem to be as relevant as ever. A friend of mine who just got back from SXSW said that he saw more youngish soul bands (with an older black lead singer) than he could shake a stick at.

Remember, Tony Bennett and Johnny Cash did the original Lollapalooza in the nineties, so anything's possible.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Sharon Jones is a pretty popular act these days, there are many hippie jam band fans who don't follow soul/funk but absolutely love Sharon Jones. This was evidenced by the incredible amount of old & young hippies screaming every word & flaky half speed hippie dancing to them at the recent Womad festival. Lollapalooza hasn't just been about alt rock etc. for a while now, so this is not that out of place a festival for them to play. Also, fans of Ben Harper, Jack Johnson & Donovan Frankenreiter still love G Love & Special Sauce. There are a shitload of Jack Johnson fans out there.

• Hippies ruined my Antibalas experience. I will never forgive them.

Sharon Jones is a pretty popular act these days, there are many hippie jam band fans who don't follow soul/funk but absolutely love Sharon Jones. This was evidenced by the incredible amount of old & young hippies screaming every word & flaky half speed hippie dancing to them at the recent Womad festival.

At this point, it ain't just the hippies getting into Sharon Jones, it's the everybody...

• Oh, shit -- I've been talking about Blues Traveler -- not Sharon Jones. Sharon Jones is totally relevant, while Blues Traveler is not.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Sharon Jones is a pretty popular act these days, there are many hippie jam band fans who don't follow soul/funk but absolutely love Sharon Jones. This was evidenced by the incredible amount of old & young hippies screaming every word & flaky half speed hippie dancing to them at the recent Womad festival.

At this point, it ain't just the hippies getting into Sharon Jones, it's the everybody...
    It's definitely getting there, helped immensely by the TV ads that feature "Got A Thing On My Mind", even if Joe Schmoe (no Suburbia) doesn't know the name of the band, you mention the ad & that song & they are humming along & trotting off home to download.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

G Love and Special Sauce. They're still around? Who the hell are their fans?

I think the crowd will be a nightmare.

I can't believe Lollapalooza is still around. I'm super disconnected. But I did see the first two.